Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

The Platform.

Quite enjoyed that, in a was-also-pretty-disturbed sort of way. The sound design didn't help my misophonia at all when the characters were greedily stuffing their faces at various points but it wasn't that big a deal.

An interesting concept and I like how much was left ambiguous, despite seeing that as a criticism of the movie. You know about as much about what's going on as the characters do by then end and, whilst that might be unsatisfying for some, it worked for me.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 30 March, 2020, 09:50:34 AM
Well the girls have been nagging about Disney plus.  Given the current circumstances I relented.  Mind you, the chance to have a gander at the Mandalorian did help their case.  First up though was a re-watch of the Black Hole.

One of those films that didn't go down too well at the time, that doesn't have much love even today, but still rewards.

I've always had a real soft spot for it and was excited to see it on the Disney+ service! Haven't seen it in many years but as a kid it left a massive mark, particularly [spoiler]the ending, which I think sparked me asking my parents lots of difficult and annoying philosophical questions about the afterlife etc! Not sure I'd seen a depiction of Hell (if that's indeed what it's supposed to be!) like that at that age so when I think of a hellish afterlife my goto image is always the villain trapped in that robot on that horrifying landscape, it really left a dent on my poor young brain![/spoiler]

Hawkmumbler

Oh man, not reported in for awhile, binged a bunch of stuff in isolation, but prior to that caught the simply divine PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE the day all my local cinemas closed. What a gorgeous bit of film making, a strong contender for top 10 of the year.

shaolin_monkey

Color Out of Space - second time of watching, this time at home.  Enjoyed it immensely.  My partner wasn't so impressed.  I still think it's a superb slice of insanity!

Fire Walk With Me - the prequel to Twin Peaks. If you're after a load of impenetrable bollocks against a backdrop of evil spirits, paedophilia, rape and murder, then this is for you.  It didn't do it for me, but my partner is a huge Twin Peaks fan, and I think she just wanted me to have to endure something she knew I'd find as godawful as she found Color Out of Space.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funt Solo

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs: it's an anthology western by the Coen brothers. For some of you, that'll already have sold it. The first segment (the actual Ballad of the title) made me laugh so hard I thought I might die.

I've only watched three of the six vignettes so far: but it's already worth recommending to ... all of humanity.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Funt Solo on 30 March, 2020, 10:08:06 PM
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs: it's an anthology western by the Coen brothers. For some of you, that'll already have sold it. The first segment (the actual Ballad of the title) made me laugh so hard I thought I might die.

I've only watched three of the six vignettes so far: but it's already worth recommending to ... all of humanity.

"Ain't no man compel another to engage in recreation, especially not one as surly and ill tempered as yourself."

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 30 March, 2020, 10:08:06 PM

Also Tom Waits I believe for the double sell... not that I've seen it yet but I will...

TordelBack

It's arsom start to finish. Tom Waits is fab in it, my favourite segment. Whole film has a heartstopping eye for huge colourful landscapes, much needed when trapped inside.

Tiplodocus

The Liam Neeson one is the stuff of nightmares. But yeah, it's great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

....and if - like me - you go insane trying to figure out who plays the unfortunate limbless dude in the Liam Neeson segment, I'll save you some googling time; it's Dudley from the Harry Potter movies.

Keef Monkey

Basket Case 2 for the first time. I do enjoy how scrappy and unhinged these films are, and have always been a fan of cheap rubbery monsters and there are loooooads of those in this one. The 'freaks hiding out' angle did make me think of Nightbreed though, and how I'd probably be better off watching that. Other than that it was fun enough.

Keef Monkey

Haunt on Amazon, a tricks and traps Saw-style movie that's decent enough as far as that sort of thing goes. There were some ideas I really liked and wished it had taken its time with a bit more but as a bit of a fairground ride it was pretty enjoyable.

dweezil2

The lockdown screenings continue with the agreeable potboiler Best Seller, starring everyone's favourite slease ball James Woods playing this time a slease ball ex hitman alongside Brian Dennehy as a cop, moonlighting as a novelist, who Woods approaches with an idea for book, involving corporate corruption and murder.

Woods is suitably sleazy and Dennehy suitably grizzled in what amounts to a buddy movie with most the enjoyment coming from the clash of opposing moral compasses.
The plot is fairly perfunctory stuff, but it is surprisingly cruel and violent at times with a nice line in bleak cynicism.
The chemistry between the two leads manages to lift the film above merely average.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hawkmumbler

Fans of gritty and bitty Brit mob movies should give Jesse V. Johnsons new prison thriller AVENGEMENT with Scott Adkins in full brutality mode. Haven't flinched at fist fights this rib cracking since Raid 2.

Professor Bear

31 - I am not saying this movie is bad, but I walked out of the showing at 29 minutes and 19 seconds in, so I couldn't bear to experience another 41 seconds just so I could say that I walked out after half an hour.  To be clear: the showing was in my house, and happening during a global pandemic - cops might have asked me why I was walking around out in the open for no good reason and I would say "I am avoiding watching the rest of 31, the 2016 crowd-funded horror project written and directed by Rob Zombie" and the officer would reply "I have not seen it so cannot speak from experience as to its quality, but from your verbal description alone I feel you made the correct decision."
The made-up policeman I encountered is, in my opinion, a bit judgmental, as I for one expected more from a film written and directed by Rob Zombie and funded entirely by donations from 13 year old heavy metal fans, but anyway, I did not care for this.