Main Menu

Prog 1405: Bank Holiday Prog

Started by Trout, 30 August, 2004, 11:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

I hereby blag the prog thread - despite having no prog - as a protest against Bank Holidays.

I'm at bloody work today because it's Scotland and we do our own thing re buckshee Mondays off.

However, as it's a holiday in England, we get no post.
That's simply wrong!

Prog tomorrow, though, I hope.
It's been damn good lately.

- Trout

Bico

We work today, as well, yet there is also no post in north Murphyville.  Mind you, I don't sub, so it makes bugger all difference to me.
And I always have a bit of bother with my progs, anyway.  It's not so much their tendancy to show up later in the week, as my inability to easily turn the pages with these unwieldly claws.  But I'm built for mauling medium-sized mammals and swiping fish from rivers whilst they're distracted with trying to get up some rapids for a shag - what's a bear to do?

Mmmmmmmm.  Trout.  Yum yum.

Dudley

With thanks to Idaho Project Wild for these fasdcinating bear facts:

In spring, bears search for newly emerged grasses and forbs (broadleaved plants) in the early morning and late afternoon. To conserve energy, they rest a lot.

Their rate of feeding increases as food quality increases. In summer they will eat throughout the day as they search for nutritious food such as berries. By eating the most when the best quality food is available, bears quickly fatten up for their coming hibernation.

Black bears seldom hunt and chase down big animals for food. The only time black bears are likely to search for meat is in the spring, when plant food is still scarce. During this time, bears may look for newborn baby deer, elk, and moose.

What Bears Eat

Horsetails & grasses
Berries: chokecherry, huckleberry, & buffaloberry are favorites forbs (broad-leaned plants)
Aquatic plants such as lilies
Ickle baby elk, moose and deer (yes, Bambi)
Ground squirrels & other small rodents
Ants,
Wasps,
Bees (adults & larvae)
Rotting Carrion

In summary: bears are puffs

Bico

That's what we want you to think.

And anyway, can YOU catch, kill and eat a deer using only your animal cunning?  I don't think so.

Bico

And what's wrong with puff bears?  I don't have a problem sharing my cave space with left-handers as long as they pull their share of the weight in time for hibernation (that joyous time of year when bears go to ground because the fuzz have come looking for all those missing campers).

Anyway, when you get right down to it - Bear vs Fish.

Rocket science it is not.

Trout

Spoilers, please, from those of you - Art! - who have the prog!

- Trout

Dudley

The Hive Mind Is Growing Increasingly Distressed At This Week's Unprecedented Thrill-Deprivation.  The Hive Mind Suspects That Some Hive Members Are Deliberately Keeping Their Spoilers To Themselves.  This Hurts All Of The Hive Mind.  Except The Bits That Know What's In The Prog Already, Of Course.

test 4 echo

Whats this with my prog? Placebo poster mag? wasnt expecting that

nobodyUK

Placebo special - Haven't read it yet, but it looks funny from the lines I've read.

Dredd - Pretty entertaining, in an odd dummy-obsessed way.

ABC - saving double length goodness for later.

FS - Decent. Some nice writing and it reads smoothly.

Cabs - Brilliant. Lots of naked people, always a bonus.

Art

Spoilers, please, from those of you - Art! - who have the prog!

It's of a bleh prog for me. The Dredd and FS were competant but fillerish, ABC Warriors continues to sort of trundles about aimlessly then ends, and Cabbalistics continues to be good.  

Mike Carroll

Hooray! My second-ever piece of work published in 2000 AD! Okay, so it's only an ad for Octocon, and I didn't draw the pic of Tharg, nor did I create the logos fo Octocon or The 3rd Place, but even so...

Link: http://www.octocon.com" target="_blank">Octocon

Noah Angel

He! Following hot on the heels of my first published work, my first published review!

Dull prog BTW

DavidXBrunt

An okay prog, really. Nice cover. Obviously.

Dredd - Ticks all the right boxes. Well writted, well drawed but doesn't set off any fireworks.

A.B.C. Warriors - It's taken 12 parts to get to the Shadows collective appearance. Here's hoping book 3 rises above the okay standard so far.

F.S. - Cheating that, using Yeowell as the pencil monkey. Always going to get full marks from me. But a decent story well paced.

Cabals - Oh, very nice indeed. Best thing in the prog? As ever.

Placebo poster prog - Well it was free and made the prog a longer read. In that respect, yay! In most others though...

Bad Andy

Quite liked Dredd and the FS this week and I'm starting to get into Cabillistics (having not seen the series before I think I'm at a disadvantage considering all the rave reviews its been getting).

But ABC Warriors... Is it just me or has Book 2 been total filler? In essence eight parts that could perhaps be condensed into two. If it had been written tighter there could have been a couple of good interlude stories there rather than a disappointing book.

Even bloody Mek-Quake is doing exposition now!

Still miss Droid Life but at least the letters are back.

Keef Monkey

Was the issue late in the shops too?Got mine today and that's the latest I've had to wait since subscribing. Good issue though I thought.
Placebo thingy- Story was at least a better laugh than the FFAF one and I like Placebo so I'll actually put this one on the wall.
Cover- Good,particularly Mongrol going berserkoid in the background.
Dredd- Really liked this,watching "Mannequin On The Move" after it puts a disturbing new spin on the film, really.
ABC- Pineapples taking down the sniper was highlight of the issue for me,good episode.
Future Shock- loved this story, although I know I should have seen it coming sooner it still surprised me.Anyone know if this is the first thing Chris Blythe has written? If it is it shows a hell of a lot of potential.
Cabbalistics- It rocks every week, and this week it rocked like an even bigger stone than usual.
Great prog, almost worth the worry I had that my subscription had been suspended or something it was so late!

Link: PAIGE