Main Menu

Meg 246: Invasion!

Started by ukdane, 30 May, 2006, 01:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

"I think I've seen the workings of karma portrayed more subtly and convincingly in My Name is Earl."

Speaking of My Name is Earl (and pulling the thread waaaay off tangent)...

Does anyone else get the impression this  started life as a pitch for a comedy about a recovering alcholic and then Earl's discovery of the principle of karma was brought in because the initial premise was a little too strong?

Earl's actions conform completely to Steps 8 & 9 of the classic AA 12 steps program - Make a list of all persons we have harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all; Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others - and even the title seems to be a ref to how you're supposed to introduce yourself at AA meetings.

Of course, all this may be common knowledge to everyone else except me.

longmanshort

but no, the '80s were not, on the whole, 'a bleak time'

I dunno, they seemed pretty bleak at the time

;)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

paulvonscott

Or it could be that everyone involved in the making of My Name is Earl is a recovering alcoholic.  

Sounds like a good theory though, I'm convinced.

I like the show, often forget to watch it, but I get the impression it's huge.   Jason Lee is hugely likeable, and was very good in that rock movie (Almost Famous?).

Dudley

I dunno, they seemed pretty bleak at the time

You were about three years old!  

Leigh S

The 80s seemed pretty bleak to me - as far as I was concerned as a young earthlet, (9 to 18 years old) it was a choice between long term unemployment or nuclear armageddon.  That said, there were some good comics about back then - and Heavy Metal was actually fun back then - damn you Cobain and your 'realistic' angst! :)

House of Usher

Yeah, but to put the Silver Age in context, that was the time of the Cuban missile crisis, the Vietnam war, and the Kennedy assassination. Nobody ever says "oh, the '60s... such a bleak time!"
STRIKE !!!

Leigh S

Isnt that because the spirit of optimism was there, and by the 80s, it was total consumerism?  

The 60s were objectively harder times to live through, but the level of cynicism and defeatism was that much lower.  People believed they could change the world, and that Governments were by and large on your side, and that wrong doing was punished.  From the late 60s onwards, this faded with each passing year, until you end up with the 80s! ;)

SamuelAWilkinson

How good was that Dredd? Stuff blowing up, Mechanismo, foreigners without stereotypical comedy accents and bloody lovely artwork. Tasty.

The rest was rather good, too. I'm something of a fan of Black Siddha, but this isn't the Millster's best karmic-messing about work. I suspect it'll work better read all in one big chunk. Good stuff in Black Museum and Fiends, and the small press was an acceptable little read.

Have to say, I'm liking where Meg-Lite's going, especially the saving on my unemployed pocket.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Dog Deever

I personally think that the 90's were worse than the 80's. In the 80's there was a lot of idealism- protesting about stuff because there was hope and belief that things could be demanded- whatever your chosen 'protest'.
The nineties collapsed into all out consumerism with a younger generation saying 'who gives a fuck, lets enjoy life'. It had to happen, rebelling against the political leanings of previous generations. The powers that be can make gains when nobody gives a damn about anything. Hell you guys know this- it's standard 2k story material- it was all there in Third World War guys- fucking prophetic!
Now- warmongering, civil Liberty invasions, physical invasions, torture and a general clampdown. The wise duck their heads and get on with their lives and the young couldn't give a rats arse about anything except what kind of mobile phone/MP3 player/designer label they have. The roots of all this were there in the 80's- Hi tech trainers and all that shit, but they really kicked in in the 90's. And so it continues...
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Floyd-the-k

well the threat of nuclear holocaust wasn't much fun, especially when we had leaders who seemed to think it wouldn't be such a bad thing

but in general the 80s was a gas (see other thread)

+rufus+

Sorry for the Necro post...
 just thought you'd like to see the Cover you didn't have..     ( hey, say's you can have too much going on?!)
You may need to adjust your hue and saturation for this one....
:-)
Rufushttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/mc1juve/RD_MEG246_CROPPED1.jpg">

The Amstor Computer

Ha! Pretty cool, but a little too busy as a cover. It'd make a gorgeous pin-up for an end-of-year prog, though...

House of Usher

Deserves a new thread !
STRIKE !!!