Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Smith

Little Nightmares #1 That was...weird.  :-\
I also notice Jim did the lettering.

Dandontdare

positronic

Colin YNWA

Small haul this week but with two absolute blinders.... which we'll come to. First however I'm disappointed that Black Road 10 is the last is and this series has finished and disappointed with its ending. It felt a little... empty, ill defined, maybe. I'll see how it settles when I read it again in one go, but final death didn't really make sense to me...

Kamandi Challenge 5 has another good issue and boy that ending is quite the most astonishing to date! Judge Dredd Blessed Earth 2 is solid and I'm very fond of the art.

In great news Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 19 sees the new arc (just 5 issues I wonder if this will be the last) get off to a frankly rollocking star as Moon Girl lands on a Girl Moon. Who knew such simple word play would lead to such a great story! Hope this arc keeps this up after the disappointing last. Oh and of course I'm loving cranky Doombot Head, hope we see more of him.

The two astonishing comics should have no order both are so good but one is SO, so Good I think I will. Kill or be Killed 9 is just gripping, its this series Pine Barrens for those of you who know Sopranos... except less funny and more gripping... okay so its just that its REALLY fuckin' good and has the Russian Mafia in it. Brilliant stuff, and yet in an amazing feat of issue number nine synchronicity isn't quite a brilliant as the somehow even more brilliant Black Hammer 9 ... wow that's how do to comics. I've loved Dean Ormston's art on this series but David Rubin is something else. The way he uses the lettering ti move you in an atypical way around on double page is brilliant, the rest simply astonishing. Its a fantastic stand alone interlude that is made to feel so integril to the ongoing story. Glorious, glorious comics.

Link Prime

I picked up and enjoyed the first Black Hammer trade as many of you rated it highly last year.
Intend on continuing in that vein, but have to ask- has the excellent Dean Ormston been replaced as lead artist?
I recall he was ill a short while ago.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 02 June, 2017, 04:48:59 PM
Little Nightmares #1 That was...weird.  :-\
I also notice Jim did the lettering.

I did. And it was. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

positronic

WEEK OF 05-24-17:
JUDGE DREDD CLASSICS: THE APOCALYPSE WAR HC
- What a great classic, now all in colour!
THE ARCHIES #1 (one-shot)
GARTH ENNIS RED TEAM DOUBLE TAP #9 (of 9) - Great ending to a great series.
MICKEY MOUSE #329
POWERPUFF GIRLS: TIME TIE #1
(of 3)
SAVAGE DRAGON #224
DETECTIVE COMICS #957
WONDER WOMAN #23
X-MEN BLUE #4
WONDERLAND: BIRTH OF MADNESS #1
(one-shot)
THE GARDEN OF FLESH by Gilbert Hernandez HC
KAMANDI CHALLENGE #5 (of 12)
BATMAN/THE SHADOW #2 (of 6) -- I dunno... meh...
BATMAN '66 MEETS WONDER WOMAN 77 #5 (of 6) - Continues to be BIG big fun.
SCOOBY DOO TEAM UP #26 (guest-starring Hong Kong Phooey)
BLACK HAMMER #9 - Jeff Lemire has really, really impressed me with this series. Nothing I've ever read of his has ever blown me away like this.
THE GREATEST ADVENTURE #2 (of 6)
DIE KITTY DIE: HOLLYWOOD OR BUST #3 (of 4) [digital] - Dan Parent is a trip! Doing his own thing, stuff that Archie Comics would never let him do.

A.B.C. WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR HC VOL. 1
A.B.C. WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR HC VOL. 2
A.B.C. WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR HC VOL. 3
A.B.C. WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR HC VOL. 4
A.B.C. WARRIORS: RETURN TO EARTH HC
A.B.C. WARRIORS: RETURN TO MARS HC
A.B.C. WARRIORS: RETURN TO RO-BUSTERS HC
-- Mr. Mills has impressed the gosh-darned heck out of me with these. It SO holds everything together, and enhances every Mars (and Ro-Busters) story that went before it and re-contextualizes what we thought we knew about the characters! Why isn't THIS a movie franchise instead of something dopey like TRANSFORMERS? LOVE, love, love the artwork of Clint Langley. Yeah, the digital painting makes it look un-natural, but that's perfect for a series that's all about robots. It's probably exactly how things appear to them.

WORLD OF ARCHIE COMICS DOUBLE DIGEST #68
SHAOLIN COWBOY: WHO'LL STOP THE REIGN #2 (of 4) - WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU READING THIS!?! It's pure genius!!
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA/ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK #1-6 (of 6) - Has fun with Kurt Russell's movie personas!
STREET FIGHTER VS. DARKSTALKERS #1 (of 8)
JUGHEAD #9-14 (re-read)
KONG OF SKULL ISLAND #11 (of 12) - Can't believe there's only one issue left. It feels like there's tons of stuff to wrap up here.
ARCHIE'S PALS 'N' GALS DOUBLE DIGEST #78 & 81

WEEK OF 05-30-17:
KILL OR BE KILLED #9
- I've ceased to be impressed. Not that the book has ceased to be excellent; far from it. It's just that Brubaker has been so 100% consistent with every single comic. He's just that good, and has been for years and years now.
THANOS #7 - Well, it's no Black Hammer, but for a Marvel comic it's pretty good.
DONALD DUCK #387
WALT DISNEY'S COMICS & STORIES #738
LOONEY TUNES #237
DC SUPER HERO GIRLS WONDER WOMAN DAY SPECIAL ED #1
WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1
MAN-THING #4 (of 5)
CABLE #1
DOLLFACE #5
JUDGE DREDD: FUNKO UNIVERSE #1 (one-shot)
KISS FOREVER 48-PAGE SPECIAL (one-shot)
ALIENS: DEAD ORBIT #2 (of 4)
- Enjoyable, but not blown away or anything.
LOBSTER JOHNSON: THE PIRATES GHOST #3 (of 3) - The ending left me baffled. What does it all mean?
DOC SAVAGE: THE RING OF FIRE #3 (of 4)
ANNO DRACULA #3 (of 5) - I love this. It may be the best thing Titan's ever done.
MICRONAUTS: WRATH OF KARZA #2 (of 5)
STAR TREK: WAYPOINT #5 (of 6)
TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE MOVIE ADAPTATION
CARTOONS MAGAZINE #9
- I guess they just started publishing this again, after a few decades. Fun retro-toons about kustom kulture and Rockabilly/Surf vibes; cartooning with a 'Rat Fink' sensibility. Probably for old dudes only.  Pretty cool.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 04 June, 2017, 10:51:41 AM
I picked up and enjoyed the first Black Hammer trade as many of you rated it highly last year.
Intend on continuing in that vein, but have to ask- has the excellent Dean Ormston been replaced as lead artist?
I recall he was ill a short while ago.

No its a fill in. Though he's back for issue 12 apparently. So maybe they're sharing art duties to help with the schedule. Dean Ormston back for issue 10.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 June, 2017, 12:46:01 PM
No its a fill in. Though he's back for issue 12 apparently. So maybe they're sharing art duties to help with the schedule. Dean Ormston back for issue 10.

Good news.
The Dean is a major factor in my enjoyment of this comic.

Apestrife

DKIII The Master Race #9
Simply put: Loved it. Some really good surprises in this one. Big positive ones. One particular [spoiler]regarding Superman[/spoiler] very much so, which I also think serves as sort of a meta-moment for Miller. Still has me smiling. (really, it's that positive).

Paper Girls #15
Fun time travel shenanigans. I think Cliff Chiang's art is probably the most jolly thing to look at since Jack Kirby and Darwyn Cooke.

The Adventurer

Anyone else read Paklis #1? It's a one person sci fi anthology with some slick art and interesting stories. I think 2000 AD fans might be interested, I like it a lot

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 08 June, 2017, 08:47:17 PM
Anyone else read Paklis #1? It's a one person sci fi anthology with some slick art and interesting stories. I think 2000 AD fans might be interested, I like it a lot

I'd managed to miss that. Sounds interesting, an anthology by one person kinda misses the point in my book, but it sounds interesting enough to pick up and findout. So I've ordered off eBay... thanks.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 June, 2017, 11:35:14 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 June, 2017, 12:46:01 PM

Good news.
The Dean is a major factor in my enjoyment of this comic.

Agreed.  It's his best work, AFAIC.  It's also the monthly book I most look forward to.

Smith

Something I never thought I would say-Youngblood #2 is the best comic this week.Im hooked.
Reborn #6 A minor comment had me wondering if Millar is familiar with Requiem.But again,its not that specific.Pretty good series in the end.
Spiderman/Deadpool #18 Another decent ending.Thou there are plenty of threads still open,so we will see how the new creative team handles it.
Night Owl Society #3 In case you missed it,the dad is Walter White.It ends pretty good.On a bit of a cliffhanger really,so I guess there will be a second book?