Main Menu

DC/Rebellion TPB price differences

Started by parkinj6, 09 October, 2004, 07:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieB

As per my email to you, John, what you're not aware of or taking into account are the shipping costs involved in getting these books to the UK, and the fact that we're paying DC - and not the printers - for the print run, and as such we are subject to higher unit costs for lower print runs.

For future reference, high-handedly demanding explanations and throwing accusations - "we're getting massively ripped off" - isn't the most polite way to begin a conversation.

J-Bo-1

JamieB

F.A.O. all - the DC editions are licensed for sale in North America and Canada only.

J-Bo-1

parkinj6

Well, it's true that we are getting ripped off. Or perhaps Rebellion are if you're paying DC for the books and this leads to the pricing differences.

As far as shipping costs are concerned I'm just looking at comparable goods: I pay ?9.99 to my local comics shop for a $14.95 TPB. Or ?10.99/?12.99 for them for the same Rebellion published material. Both those prices include the book coming over from the US. So I'm certainly taking that into account.

If the smaller print runs have caused trouble I suggest putting a pound AND dollar price on the back to use exactly the same print run.

Is the Dredd/Batman vs Sin/Dex pricing difference then because DC gave you less favourable printing rates for the thicker book?

Trout

Can I point out these books have been produced specifically for the US market, to get some American fans on board?

That's the point of the whole thing.

- Trout

IndigoPrime

Most of my local bookshops do straight dollar to pound conversions, so a $14.95 TPB becomes ?14.99. Some do similar to what you're mentioning, but not that many. However, if Amazon.co.uk does its usual markdown in prices, these books should end up coming in at about ten quid each, which when you look at what's in them, is pretty good. Stuff in the US is always cheaper: toys, books, comics, computers, DVDs, CDs, food...

JamieB

"Well, it's true that we are getting ripped off."

Batman/Dredd is an entirely separate entity, produced outside the terms of the Rebellion/DC deal.

J-Bo-1

Trout

I don't consider paying a premium for something imported from the US as being "ripped off".

I take the point that it costs more here, but it's swings and roundabouts. The prog costs a lot more in the States than it does here.

- Trout

Dudley

Jamie -

Wouldn't it be quicker to say "Ja, ve ARE ripping you off, Britisher schweinhunds, und zere is naff-all zat you can do about it.  For you, Squaxx, zer var is over..."?

Grant Goggans

Just to put things in perspective:

Any issue of the Judge Dredd Megazine:
US price: $10.99 (approx ?6.12)
UK price: ?3.95
Difference: ?2.17 (65% increase for the US edition)

--Grant

Matt

Who cares! ?12.99 is hardly going to break the bank, and I'm not going to get wound up over a couple of quid. Don't Amazon usually sell books cheaper than the recommended price?

Matt Timson

"Well, it's true that we are getting ripped off"

What about the paper quality?  Is that any good?
Pffft...

Matt Timson

"Well, it's true that we are getting ripped off"

What about the paper quality?  Is that any good?
Pffft...

Conexus

Okay, Okay we heard ya the first time! :)

Matt Timson

Tsss... I'm having all sorts of problems posting lately.  Stuff not posting at the first attempt, multiple posts and, most annoyingly, threads that I simply cannot post to at all.

I blame Mulcher.

>:(
Pffft...

longmanshort

I blame Mulcher.

Yes. Everything wrong in your life is my fault. Blame me. And then see what happens when I come a'knocking on the door of your nice new house, chainsaw a'buzzing.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++