Main Menu

Design Flaw...?

Started by VampiraJen, 22 May, 2007, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VampiraJen

the cover of this weeks prog has once again prompted me to think that there is a design flaw in dredd's uniform, namely where he keeps his gun holstered.  it's on his boot.  surely the cover illustrates what a flaw it is as he has to bend over/kneel to get to his gun.  it the time that taked to make a move like that, the gun weilding baddie on the cover could have easily shot him.  shouldn't a more logical place for his gun holster be beside his him or something.  

then again, there isn't anything logical about dredds uniform...

johnnystress

It was placed there originally because it allows easy access when he's on his bike- a nice idea

but when he's off the bike ..yeah..rubbish

[YT-2]

Too be picky bending down to draw your weapon shouldnt be slower than drawing from the hip and it will also lower your profile making yourself a smaller target for who ever is shooting at you.

Dudley

Although I hesitate to argue with the only boarder who may have shot a man, I'm sure that from a standing position reaching for your hip is easier, or at any rate faster, than bending down to grab your ankle.

ThryllSeekyr

Not somthing you would want to do if you were challenged to quick draw shoot out at high noon.

Funt Solo

And yet Dredd has survived all these years on the street, punk!

---

(I had exactly the same thought when looking at that cover.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Quirkafleeg

Good enough for this fellow...

(Who I seem to remember wore it on his ankle so he could get up close to a prozzie with out being 'made')http://www.swanshadow.com/images/PopeyeDoyle.jpg">

Funt Solo

"Do you pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?"

Great pic, that, Quirkafleeg - did you know that Gene Hackman is playing Jimmy "Popeye Doyle", based on real-life policeman Eddie Egan, who (in that picture) is standing bottom-right, playing Walt Simonson, Doyle's supervisor.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

[YT-2]

stop thinking of bending down as in standing still, bending, drawing the weapon and standing again to fire.
It should be all one movement, cant believe I'm thinking of this seriously. I'm on ranges in a couple of weeks, I'll sign out a 9mm and try it out.

johnnystress

Maybe you could try a cool forward roll while drawing the gun in a fluid movement-

and post it on youtube

go on

VampiraJen

Although I hesitate to argue with the only boarder who may have shot a man...

???

VampiraJen

stop thinking of bending down as in standing still, bending, drawing the weapon and standing again to fire.
It should be all one movement

Maybe you could try a cool forward roll while drawing the gun in a fluid movement-

yeah, but then he would have to duck and roll.  imagine him ducking and rolling as he goes after a jaywalker...

VampiraJen

duck and roll all the time i meant to say

Floyd-the-k

I've thought that too, Jen, particularly with Dredd's aging and arthritic knees.
 Then again, it's only a comic....

VampiraJen

exactly.  and if he's gonna duck and roll every time he could break his hip or something...:)