Main Menu

the girl power letter

Started by gem, 21 November, 2003, 06:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

Jared Katooie

Coll, thats what I am then! C'mon brothers unite! ( not gay )

JimBob

I don't know if it's just me but I do worry about you lot some times. Some one has written a badly received letter that many of you disagree with but do we have to come on like a lynch mob every time some one steps out of line. I know I argued with Keane a few weeks ago but there does seem to be a tendency to shout down anyone you disagree with, showing the same distorted sense of freedom of speach we get from our more hardcore crusty friends ie. freedom of speach is freedom for ME to speak, I'm particularly thinking about some of the comments on the recent XTNCT storyline and some of the people I've seen at some anti-war marches.
 For what its worth I think that letter didmmake its author look silly but lets tke things in proportion eh chums? Its not like hes had any support for his views from anywhere.

Jim - sadly aware as usual that some people wil distort this as support for a racist patriarchy.  

Slippery PD

Actually Jim.  Thats fair comment and Im as guilty as anyone else is.

Ive been worried about the freedom of speech, not that we actually have it coz its never been written down anywhere.  But thats another whole different argument.  The freedom to speak has to be used responsibly and I actually think that sometimes people who use this "quote" dont actually use it responsibly.  

Keane and this guy have deserved villification, but sometimes we actually just descend to their level and this doesnt win the argument at all.  But loses it........

Yer Slips

Dudley

Jim -

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you on this one.  "They started it" isn't necessarily a defence that stands up every time, but there can be little doubt that both letters were intended to provoke - that they did so may in some sense go down as a "victory", but only a Pyrrhic sense.

The posts of a lot of individual members registering their strong disagreement with an extreme viewpoint can't be seen as a lynch mob.  Many people here post views with which I personally am not in complete agreement - some of the board's religious beliefs, indeed your own political beliefs.  But there's a sort of compact in that these views are normally expressed politely and with a readiness to listen to the other side.  

Finally, if Daulby turned up on this board and decided to defend his views in a sane and polite manner I'm sure he'd get a fair hearing (Keane provoked you as much as he provoked anybody else, you can hardly claim he was sensible or reasonable!).  As it is, his letter's part of the product, entertainment or whatever that we're all here to celebrate: considered as such, you have to admit it's had far less venom poured on it than the relatively innocous doodlings of Siku or the hasty scribblings of Dan Abnett.

JimBob

yup and you have a right to disagree with me, I've already said I fell into the trap with Keane and felt slightly soiled after realising I was just giving him the attention he wanted. However this is a different situation Daubly hasnt come on here being deliberately provocative, we don't know if his letter was a deliberate attmept to piss people off or just a very cack handed attempt to put accross a point of view. Lets face it it was a silly letter from a man who didn't sound like he had a lot of contact with women in his life. All we've been doing is kicking a straw man because he voiced an unpopular opinion, which doesnt do anyone any good and makes us look very cliquey.
 And I doubt you'ld find my politics that disturbing, I occasionally do the net thing of overstating things,  I'm a Portilloista at heart, which might not be your cup of tea but shouldn't be equated with being a storm trooper