Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Insurrection vs. Future Shocks Round 3 Heat 17

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 May, 2022, 06:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 3 of Round 3 is 'One and Done' week with no fewer than 3 of the surviving Future Shockesque stories appearing. They all have very interesting ties and ... well we'll see. In my mind though, intriguing as those clashes are, is a modern masters face-off that is one of the ties of the Round for me, not everyone I imagine, but for me...

We'll start off with one of the 'Done in Ones' the granddaddy of them all, the Poppa One Parter, vanquisher of Shirmura. For all its history, for their fundamental part in the Prog can they see off one of the truly great thrills, one which managed to spurn an even great Thrill (Loooook I have to do this I get to spout my opinion okay!) Insurrection has already seen off Abelard Snazz. Tough tie this one...

Insurrection - more info

Vs

Future Shocks - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 26th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

moly

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

abelardsnazz

Magnetica

Insurrection.

It's in my top 3 Megazine thrills.

I find it hard to consider Future Shocks as a complete body of work as far as this contest is concerned.
There have been some absolutely outstanding ones, but not for a long time.

Aaron A Aardvark

Shocks are part of 2000 AD's make-up but there aren't that many great ones and most of them were probably Time Twisters or Robo Tales anyway.

Insurrection

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

Insurrection. Great series. I appreciate that Future Shocks are important to the comic but it's only occasions that one really blows me away.

Link Prime

I'm betraying Abnett, MacNeil and one of the greatest ever Megazine series here...but those few Solid Gold Future Shocks are just too good to vote against.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 May, 2022, 08:26:11 AM
There have been some absolutely outstanding [Future Shocks] but not for a long time.

The last great FS was only four progs ago!
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 May, 2022, 12:03:07 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 23 May, 2022, 08:26:11 AM
There have been some absolutely outstanding [Future Shocks] but not for a long time.

The last great FS was only four progs ago!

Its a fair point AND the one in the Regened issue was really good to. They might be hit and miss but those hits are far from in the past.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I loved Insurrection on my last reread, and Mr Abnett is my all-time favourite script droid. But Future Shocks wins this because of all the pure insanity over the decades. And because reading the first two collected editions was sheer joy. Where is 3?

SBT

BPP

Future Shocks for the constant joy of new b&w artists.

Insurrection was fucking great but FS is an institution. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd