Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: paddykafka on 18 December, 2022, 09:05:44 PM
But if, at some future point, Stephen's Green is indeed reduced to fifteen blades of grass and a bush called "Kevin" - as predicted in the Garth Ennis scripted Dredd story "Emerald Isle" - my guess is that said devastation will not be the result of nuclear fallout. Rather, it will be from the tragic, and environmentally disastrous aftermath, of irate citizens going mad from having their lunch nicked and rampaging through the park on a wild and frenzied Gull cull.

As somebody who still hasn't visited Dublin (despite much of my family coming from Ireland* **) my mind immediately went to Ennis and Dillon's minor opus upon mention of Stephen's Green.

p.s. hoolligulls we call 'em.

* just too long ago to enable me citizenship :-(
** Limerick on one side, Tipperary on the other...

JohnW

Quote from: sheridan on 20 December, 2022, 12:22:59 PM
just too long ago to enable me citizenship :-(
But why would you ever want to be a citizen? Aren't you happier being a subject, with a shiny new king to cheer and huzzah?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JWare on 20 December, 2022, 12:40:36 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 20 December, 2022, 12:22:59 PM
just too long ago to enable me citizenship :-(
But why would you ever want to be a citizen? Aren't you happier being a subject, with a shiny new king to cheer and huzzah?

I mean, they're not that new - according to Prog 1 we should have had 'em by 1999 at least.

JohnW

You should heckle the coronation procession next May, loudly demanding to know why Charles skipped out to Canada twenty-odd years ago, leaving you all at the mercy of the Volgans.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sheridan

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Even as a British citizen, you're fully entitled to live and work in Ireland. Once you have lived here long enough, you're even entitled to vote on in council and parliamentary elections.

You just wouldn't have a say on constitutional referendums or election of the head of state.

But sure, you'd be used to that.
You may quote me on that.

JohnW

Quote from: sheridan on 20 December, 2022, 04:24:47 PM
And what did happen to Prince John?
William and Kate have him walled up in their cellar. Nothing may challenge the succession.

The Legendary Shark

There will be no succession. The king intends to ingest certain plant extracts in the precise doses related to him by a stand of exocosmic pine trees in order to live forever. It's apparently all to do with God's Ineffable Green Plan. Or possibly some form of psychosis, depending on whom one asks.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

lincnash

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 December, 2022, 06:24:42 PM
...Or possibly some form of psychosis...

Yep, we drokked him up in '66, long term scars.

"I learnt an enormous amount in Australia and discovered just how direct and friendly and straightforward and so often blunt Australians are...But with such an incredibly good sense of humour."

On night treks His Majesty, then Prince of Wales, remembers

"leeches and snakes and those enormous bull ants and funnel web spiders... I loved it and I learnt a lot from it."
On August 1, 1966, the former Prince of Wales returned to the UK a very different person. "

https://www.princes-trust.org.au/hm-in-australia/a-special-connection

Like something out of the Cursed Earth.

Extremely aggressive with strong biting mandibles and a stinger in it's tail that has burning venom.
Dune Sharks, Gila Munja, Flying Rat Swarms?
Pffft.
:-)

Hawkmumbler

Some folks will probably know my primary hobby and outlet is filmmaking, small, pithy mood pieces on celluloid.

I recently took my first step into standard (or 'double') 8MM production by purchasing a nice little pocket Bolex from the early 60's. Bought from a licensed reseller for a solid price, i was really excited to get into the thick of it. Less than 72 hours latter, on my first shoot, I fucked the damn thing up by somehow shattering the variable shutter dial, causing the clockwork mechanism to go into freefall and effectively exploding in my hands.
Turns out you're only supposed to control the variable shutter then the motor is running, not in lock. A stupid little mistake on my part, but a humbling one.

Always read the manual on your decades old gear folks.

(Up shot, went to purchase a new one of the same model from the same seller and he sent me a replacement for the price of shipping for my troubles. Sometimes small communities rock like that.)

The Legendary Shark

I've been having pains in my legs for six months or so. The sawbones reckons it's acute thrombosis - which isn't the same as dvt - so now blood tests and ultrasound scans beckon. I've never had an ultrasound before so I'm quite looking forward to that experience, but it's a bit of a bummer on the whole.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 January, 2023, 05:48:30 PM
I've been having pains in my legs for six months or so. The sawbones reckons it's acute thrombosis - which isn't the same as dvt - so now blood tests and ultrasound scans beckon.

If you haven't sworn off the fags already, you really, really should — my mum ended up losing both her legs at the knee to smoking-related thrombosis.

(You'd have thought losing the first one might have tipped her off to the risks, not to mention the fact that the exact same thing happened to her dad, but, nooooooo...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

You're right Jim, of course, and I'm sorry about your Mum's ordeal. My problem is that I find it difficult to care very much about my own future, and always have - I'm a "live for today" kind of guy when it comes to my own life. I'm smoking a rollie as I type this - and that's nobody's fault but my own.

Given all the run-ins we've had, Jim, and the way my perspective tends to wind you up, I am honestly and deeply touched that you should be the first one to care enough to take the time to offer advice; so thank you, really.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]