Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 13 October, 2022, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 12 October, 2022, 01:42:50 PM
Casablanca. White House.

Casanova.  Newcastle.

Much as I'd like it to be Newcastle, wouldn't that be New House?  There's a Newcastle down the road from me in the rural outskirts of Dublin, sadly lacking in Geordie accents, which are the best accents in the world in my book.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

People from Newcastle are Novacastrians, which suggests it should be 'castra' (or more correctly 'castrum') rather than casa. (Castra = camp; castrum = fortress).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Mike Carroll

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 October, 2022, 03:37:25 PM
... There's a Newcastle down the road from me in the rural outskirts of Dublin...

Yeah, there's a Newcastle down the road from me, too. Could be the same one, but down a different road...!

In Irish the name is "An Caisleán Nua" which mean "The New Castle." One of the easier translations of Irish place-names.

sheridan

Used to have a girlfriend who was born in Newcastle.  In the Transvaal.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Mike Carroll

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dandontdare

JayzusB.Christ

I was only 11 when Sláine the King came out, and it never occurred to me to wonder why Fomorians only enslaved the prettiest women in Sláine's tribe. :(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2022, 09:59:35 AM
I was only 11 when Sláine the King came out, and it never occurred to me to wonder why Fomorians only enslaved the prettiest women in Sláine's tribe. :(
I was 16, and not much ever occurred to me at all.
The pretty ladies were very pretty, though.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JWare on 18 November, 2022, 10:13:35 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2022, 09:59:35 AM
I was 16, and not much ever occurred to me at all.
The pretty ladies were very pretty, though.

I don't think I even noticed back then.  Bisley's Medb, now, was another matter entirely.

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2022, 10:21:03 AM
Bisley's Medb, now, was another matter entirely.

Another matter entirely.
Whoo boy.

(See also Fabry's Medb, establishing shot, prog 502. Dearie me.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JWare on 18 November, 2022, 10:26:44 AMSee also Fabry's Medb, establishing shot, prog 502. Dearie me.

Well, absolutely, though even that scene with its blatant eroticism was wasted on 11-year-old me at the time.  Even Belardinelli had her skinny-dipping after her 'rescue' from the Wicker Man.  The brief for artists seems to be 'don't worry about how anyone else drew her, just make teenage lads feel a bit funny'.

JohnW

Belardinelli also gave us the catwoman in Meltdown Man eating her own clothes.
I remember giving that one a lot of consideration when I was small and thinking that this 2000AD that the older boys were reading wasn't like other comics.