Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

How's that for a debut post? Welcome to the forum!

Tomwe

Quote from: leethomson on 05 January, 2023, 01:02:48 PM
Royal Mail giving them a right sledgehammering didn't raise my levels of enthusiasm either.
This was the first time in a long while I had to request a replacement as well. FB mods were happy to oblige.

sintec

Quote from: leethomson on 05 January, 2023, 01:02:48 PM
Received 137 & 138 this week. Don't know who decided to run the ends of Strontium Dogs and Finn back to back in the UC but it's hardly the most inspiring pairing, and the intros and extras are fairly apologetic and sound glad to see the backs of both of them. Less of this in the extension, please.

Yeah I'm about half-way through the SD book. It's better than the Ennis stuff imo but it's still not a book I can see myself revisiting much.

Started Finn last night as I thought I'd switch things up. It's so very very 90s it hurts. The repro isn't great on some of it either. There were a couple of bits of text that were verging on illegible for me (white on black with squiggly font).

If this is some of the best the Prog had to offer in that era then I can see why people stopped reading.

IndigoPrime

Looking at Barney, Finn rocked up in #770, which was... OK. Quite good Dredd and Durham Red, but also the ill-advised Skizz sequel and Trash. Although by the end of Finn's first run, we had Tales From Beyond Science (quite nice), a very dodgy Ennis Dredd, The Clown (risible to me, but it has its fans), and Fleisher's Harlem Heroes reboot. By the end of the entire run of Finn (#999), 2000 AD was out of its tailspin, but still not in a great place, although firmer footings were bing created, most notably by Wagner's Dredd.

Honestly, I've no idea why I carried on reading during that period. Habit, probably. There was almost always something good (although, you know, not always), but quite often only one strip. It's vanishingly rare that's the case these days – and certainly never for long.

leethomson

Quote from: sintec on 05 January, 2023, 04:10:43 PM
If this is some of the best the Prog had to offer in that era then I can see why people stopped reading.
The 900s were a dark time, and I checked out not very long afterwards (just as the quality of the strips was turning a corner, it turns out). I've often wondered if my disdain was coloured by being a somewhat pretentious 20 year old with a massive Vertigo habit, but then I read some of this and 20 year old me, despite being so wrong about so many things, feels vindicated.

AlexF

Anyone got anything good to say about the second Finn volume? I really like the first two stories, which I've read several times since they first Prog'd, but have yet to re-read any of the strips form the 900s era Or rather, I think I did re-read bits of them once but can barely remember them...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: AlexF on 06 January, 2023, 09:25:12 AMAnyone got anything good to say about the second Finn volume?
I imagine a Mr P Mills of Twitterville might have, during those odd moments where he's not suggesting a conspiracy regarding why Rebellion hasn't reprinted every scrap of writing he's ever produced for the Prog, Crisis, etc.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 January, 2023, 03:24:08 PM
How's that for a debut post? Welcome to the forum!

It'll do. It'll do.

Welcome aboard Michael!

The Monarch

its a shame a clean version of the third spine art doesn't exist i want to know what the fuck that green blob in the backgrounds supposed to be

Arkady

Quote from: The Monarch on 06 January, 2023, 03:45:28 PM
its a shame a clean version of the third spine art doesn't exist i want to know what the fuck that green blob in the backgrounds supposed to be

Ooo I missed the 'unclean' version, is there a link?

The Monarch

as you can see its only the pencil version and its missing a chunk of it

Marbles

Your 84 & 85 are both Defoe v1.
Also 70 & 71 are both Cabbs v1.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

michaelarby

Facepalm! I noticed the defoe but didnt see the Cabbs lol. will fix it another time if i update the list.
Art website: www.michaelarby.com

rogue69

Just seen on the Forbidden Planet site they have issue 141 up for pre order and it's Al's Baby

Richard

I really liked the first two books of Finn. After that the quality declined sharply in my opinion.