Main Menu

Larry Cohen

Started by AlexF, 11 October, 2021, 01:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Just recently watched Q-the Winged Serpent for the first time and thought it was pretty great but also weird and flawed. It also made me think that, now that I've seen a handful of Larry Cohen wirrten and/or directed films, he's kind of a little ball of 2000ADish filmmaking. You get a lot of blue collar 'heroes' who are often pretty unpleasant people, in sci-fi/fantasy situations, with imagery you almost never see in normal films, overblown dialogue, and it's all a bit scrappy. Almost all his films that I've seen would make great 10-12 part 2000AD series, of the kind that aren't all-time classics but you wish they'd reprint in a floppy at least.

In case anyone doesn't know his work, here's a sample.

It's Alive: a series of new mothers and fathers discover that their newborn offspring are ravenous, carnivorous monsters. But they love them and want to protect them against evil government types.

God Told Me To: a random selection of people are driven to murder because God told them to.

Q: a mad academic blood sacrifices (willing) people to summon the old Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, who appears as a flying serpent that terrorizes New York

The Stuff: a weird alien marshmallow yogurt thing lands on Earth and inflitrates people through being addictively delicious

Maniac Cop: a sort-of undead brute of a Cop goes on a murder spree making even White people scared of the police

-It's notable that none of these synopses give you even the slightest hint of who the main characters are in each story! The plots tend to be happening around the lives of the actual protagonists, who all have their own things going on.

Anyone else a fan of Mr Cohen? Any others of his films I should seek out?

milstar

Larry is definitely an icon in B sf/horror/fantasy film, but my impression is that people often forget that he wrote a lot crime and western stuff.

His God Told Me To is one of genuinely creepiest films I've ever seen. Being low budget I think it had its pros and cons, but it was truly unpleasant experience.

I don't know if it counts, but he wrote Phone Booth (Joel Schumacher did the direction).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

AlexF

Oh, phone booth definitely counts, although I can't quite see it working as a 2000AD series :)

Aaron A Aardvark

Black Caesar (Godfather of Harlem) 1973 blaxploitation gangster pic, worth a look.

CalHab

Interesting stuff, I don't think I've ever seen one of his films. I'll look out for them.

John Carpenter is another obvious example of a film-maker who wouldn't be out of place in the prog.

AlexF

It's so obvious when you say it, but I hadn't thought of it! Would love someone to attempt something like Prince of Darkness or They Live in the Prog.

repoman

Q is such an odd film.  I love it but it's not a great monster movie but as a bit of a character piece about Michael Moriarty's character it is absolutely fantastic.

milstar

Quote from: AlexF on 14 October, 2021, 11:40:40 AM
It's so obvious when you say it, but I hadn't thought of it! Would love someone to attempt something like Prince of Darkness or They Live in the Prog.

The Stuff imho looks something taken straight from the prog. Ofcourse, I don't suggest that Larry ripped off 2000ad.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.