Main Menu

Forum's Favourite Thrill - checking in

Started by AlexF, 12 January, 2022, 10:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Words can't express just how much I'm loving this epic tourney. Indeed, I've spent far too many hours when I should've been working drawing up a chart of what's happened so far. But, in doing so, I am fully racking my brains for what will be in the final Heat of Round 1. Colin has explained that he's had to make some judgement calls about certain thrills that get a bye into Round 2, and that some of his choices may be controversial. Cool!

But here's a list of thrills I think qualify for the tourney that we haven't seen yet. Some might question their chances of lasting even a millisecond in the next Round (given that we have already lost e.g. Stone Island and Dept K), which is opening up to EVERYTHING... (or are the BIG thrills getting a bye into Round 3?)

Two of these names will appear tomorrow morning - but what of the rest? All that said, In Colin we trust!

RAM Raiders
Dry Run
Brit-Cit Babes
Moon Runners
Dead Meat
Holocaust 12
Janus, Psi Division
The Corps
Citi-Def
Samizdat Squad
The Inspectre
Soul Sisters
Soul Gun Warrior
Bison
Carver Hale
Darkness Visible
Dead Men Walking
Hap Hazzard
Mother Earth
Valkyries
The Straitjacket Fits
Strange & Darke
Wireheads / Parasites (not sure if this is two thrills or two series of the same thing. Both are quite BAD.)
(and this is leaving out a handful of quite good 2-3 parters that might qualify? Maze Dumoir, Danzig's Inferno, Psi Testers, Go Machine... anyone?)

Colin YNWA

Oh no this is terrible as there's a random factor as well that you've missed.

Basically I gave passes to 90 BUT that still left... well some number about 280ish (a bit under maybe) thrill that were in the Round 1 draw BUT with only 87 ties needed to get to the required 256 thrills for Round 2 it meant a number got a bye by chance, by simply not being in the first what 174 drawn.

SOOOOOO there are a load that have a bye into Round 2 - by luck of the draw - that are no way as signicent / good / deserving as those that have been drawn in Round 1.

There is a breakdown of figures somewhere which I'll try to dig out in a sec. BUT if you were trying to guess what they last 2 would be it was pretty much impossible as there is a massive chunk of random selection as to who got a bye in Round 1....

SORRY!

Colin YNWA

Okay so I've realised I've typed up a summary of this in my prep for Round 2 and the breakdown for entrants into that round is as follows.

"Round 2 is going to make that look like it was nursery slopes as it's actually bigger - gulp.
There are 256 Thrills - 87 Round 1 winners and 149 Thrills that got a bye in that round, 90 as they are Premier League Thrills and 59 by luck of the draw."

So I picked 90 byes - I can pop the list here if you like - it will be controversial!

87 go through as winners in Round 1

59 go through by chance as they weren't drawn for the first round BUT could have been as they were in the pot when I drew things, they just didn't get draw and I fitted the 87 ties needed.

AlexF

Aaaaah - I see! So there was a long list of thrills that got put into a hat, some picked for Round 1 and some given a bye just by chance. That does make total sense, you've gotta have a rnadom factor at play.

And yes, Round 2 is gonna be ENORMOUS! Looks as if I'll have plenty more picture hunting to do yet  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 12 January, 2022, 12:10:17 PM
And yes, Round 2 is gonna be ENORMOUS! Looks as if I'll have plenty more picture hunting to do yet  :)

Behind the scenes peak I'm well on with it. The draw was made over X-Mas - chuffing took 2 hours! - I just put the ties that weren't decided in as 'X or Y' and did adjust timing, as sods law some undecided entrants kept getting pulled into weeks one, or two, early anyway. The first four weeks of votes are type up already.

If you want AlexF I can share the GoogleSheet this is all on so you can get pics ready?

sintec

Quite looking forwards to this entering it's 2nd round. This first round has had so many obscurities that there's rarely been a draw where I've read both stories. Indeed there have been plenty where I've read neither (and from the comments I think it sounds like that may be for the best).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sintec on 12 January, 2022, 12:17:39 PM
While I get why they wanted to highlight the Ben Wheatley quote it does rather spoil the space in that image. Still gonna buy one. Which more series got the HC treatment like this.

Now just to manage expectations there will be a lot of obsure crap in Round 2 as well! I mean proportionally yes but I don't want to kid folks, there's some shockers.

Note: Yep this was originally posted in the wrong thread! Thanks to one David Bishop for the catch.

Colin YNWA

Stupidly LOOOOONNNNGGGGG post warning

Since we're playing in this arena here - and so I get the deserved kicking for abusing my 'power' as organiser here are the 90 thrills I gave an automatic bye to. i.e. these never entered the draw for Round 1 as I thought they were significant and / or good enough to get an automatic pass.

Anderson Psi Division
Angelic
Aquila
Armitage
Bad Company
Blackhawk
Brass Sun
Brink
Button Man
Caballistics Inc
Chopper
Cradlegrave
Cursed Earth Koburn
D.R. & Quinch
Damnation Station
Dan Dare
Dark Judges - (Dominion/Torture Garden)
Demarco
Defoe
Devlin Waugh
Durham Red
Fall of Deadworld
Feral and Foe
Fiends of the Eastern Front (and all other Fiends stories)
Firekind
Flesh
Future Shocks
Grey Area
Greysuit
Halo Jones
Harlem Heroes (Original)
Harry Twenty
Hewligan's Haircut
Hope
Ichabod Azrael
Indigo Prime
Insurrection
Invasion
Jaegir
Journal of Luke Kirby
Kingdom
Kingmaker
Lawless
Leatherjack
Leviathan
Lobster Random
Low Life
M.A.C.H 1
Mazeworld
Mean Arena
Mean Team
Meltdown Man
Missionary Man
Nemesis the Warlock
Nikolai Dante
Proteus Vex
Red Seas
Return To Armageddon
Revere
Ro-Busters
Robo-Hunter (Sam)
Rogue Trooper (Rogue)
Savage
Scarlet Traces
Shakara
Shako
Simping Detective
Sinister Dexter
Skizz
Slaine
Stainless Steel Rat
Stickleback
Strontium Dog (Alpha)
Survival Geeks
Taxidermist
Ten-Seconders
The Order
The Out
Thistlebone
Time Twisters
Tyranny Rex
VCs
Zenith
Zombo

AlexF

No arguments here, that there's a right solid list o' thrills!
And don't worry about sharing the Google Doc - part of the fun is seeing what's in the draw on a weekday morning  :)

Funt Solo

Greysuit?!?!

Nah, just kidding. Thanks for all the hard work, Colin.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 January, 2022, 05:52:39 PM
Greysuit?!?!

Nah, just kidding. Thanks for all the hard work, Colin.

Not pretending personal biase isn't a thing here!

Southstreeter

Finally it makes sense. I was wondering where all the good stuff was.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Southstreeter on 12 January, 2022, 10:43:29 PM

To be fair to myself - well why not - I explained all this in the setup and in the 'what's all this' thread linked to in ever tie. Mind absolutely no reason for anyone to have read that. As I've said before I did it imagining it being like Premier League and Championship joining the FA Cup in the 3rd Round. Just to reassure folks it will be the second round here AND we will start to see some big thrills very soon!

Remember no Judge Dredd (main strip) though - that has been excluded from the off as it'd just storm it!...

Southstreeter

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 January, 2022, 06:31:59 AM
Quote from: Southstreeter on 12 January, 2022, 10:43:29 PM

To be fair to myself - well why not - I explained all this in the setup and in the 'what's all this' thread linked to in ever tie. Mind absolutely no reason for anyone to have read that. As I've said before I did it imagining it being like Premier League and Championship joining the FA Cup in the 3rd Round. Just to reassure folks it will be the second round here AND we will start to see some big thrills very soon!

Remember no Judge Dredd (main strip) though - that has been excluded from the off as it'd just storm it!...

I'm sure you did explain, I just didn't read it! Really appreciate all the work you're putting in here.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

colin, i too appreciate all this fun malarkey.
but you surely well know, as i do, that this is surely just footling foothill groundwork for the "best ever panel" tourney ...