Main Menu

FFT Round 5 Round-Up

Started by AlexF, 15 August, 2022, 11:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Final scores from the latest round of the Tourney, LOTS of heavy hitters have fallen...

AlexF

Colin YNWA

Some of those panel choices are the best yet. I giggled out loud in work!

Thanks so much for doing these.

AlexF

Only 16 thrills left in the Tourney now! Surely that means all of them are all-time classics...?
Some stats for you:

Very few creators with multiple contenders.
Dan Abnett still going strong with 5 thrills to show for himself
Pat Mills on 3
-but all other writers only have 1 left each. Pity poor Gordon Rennie, just two rounds earlier he was top dog but now totally eliminated  :o

King Carlos is top of the artists, with 3 left to his name (I'd forgottten last time that he had significant runs on ABC Warriors, as well as of course Fiends and Stront)
Beyond that there are a handful with two credits to their name, but not in a significant way, really (lots of folksd have had a go at Sinister Dexter, and even early Nikolai Dante after all). Probably the man with the most at stake is Kev O'Neill, co-creator of both Nemesis the Warlock and the ABC Warriors.

The balance of old vs new thrills is still 50/50, by my reckoning.
That's counting SinDex and Dante as 'new', and coutning Fiends of the Eastern Front as both old AND new, since people are kind of voting for all three iterations.

Almost all thrills at this point have had LONG runs spanning mutiple books and years. Firekind the obvious exception, but also Halo Jones and The Out (what, they're similar to each other??) are, so far, only spanning 2 years of Prog time.
To use one random cut-off, I've noticed that there are exactly 8 thrills that enjoyed runs of longer than 10 years, squaring off against another 8 that didn't / haven't had that longevity. Is quantity going to beat quality? Have any thrills managed to maintain high quality over such a long time?

Let's found out in Round 6...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 15 August, 2022, 11:29:40 AM
Almost all thrills at this point have had LONG runs spanning mutiple books and years. Firekind the obvious exception...

And early voting today - and early voting is always a tricky beast to trust - suggests things won't go well there...

Quote from: AlexF on 15 August, 2022, 11:29:40 AM
To use one random cut-off, I've noticed that there are exactly 8 thrills that enjoyed runs of longer than 10 years, squaring off against another 8 that didn't / haven't had that longevity. Is quantity going to beat quality? Have any thrills managed to maintain high quality over such a long time?

Its interesting I think folks are much more forgiving of some thrills lows than others and sometimes vote for the highs regardless and others balance things out over the entire run of a series.

broodblik

It will also be interesting to see the final rounds the results versus the top 20 vote we had in the beginning  of lockdown
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 15 August, 2022, 01:16:12 PM
It will also be interesting to see the final rounds the results versus the top 20 vote we had in the beginning  of lockdown

Yeah - they are different types of tourney so in theory your vote will be more 'accurate' at displaying the correct answer beyond top spot, but I do plan to reflect on the differences in position.

Funt Solo

That list of losers is a list of great thrills.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

I've just looked it up and h the thrill I have as the nailed on favourite here was only second. And the only thrill I can realistically see challenging it was the winner.

So it might not be as clear cut as I'm expecting.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 August, 2022, 08:01:14 PM

I've just looked it up and h the thrill I have as the nailed on favourite here was only second. And the only thrill I can realistically see challenging it was the winner.

So it might not be as clear cut as I'm expecting.

Oh one of my potential finalists and one I think could beat the favourite isn't even in the top three. The final rounds will be fascinating - well assuming we don't get some drawn together before that... we'll see...

Colin YNWA

Oh and for anyone that wants to see here's the results from Broodblik tournment

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46763.msg1035323#msg1035323

Worth noting as this was a 2000ad vote Lawless is the wildcard here and as you know I think it should win... I mean it won't ... and Nikolai Dante is probably better... but who knows... mind voting against Firekind has swung as the day has progressed so a long way to go still...

JayzusB.Christ

That diagram is a feast for the eyes.   I'd forgotten Savage was originally drawn by Charlie Adlard - shame he's disappeared from the prog; hope he's done well for himself since.

[spoiler] Yeah, yeah, I know. [/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 August, 2022, 08:35:42 PM
That diagram is a feast for the eyes.   I'd forgotten Savage was originally drawn by Charlie Adlard - shame he's disappeared from the prog; hope he's done well for himself since.

Keep an eye open for 'Damn Them All', Charlie's first major strip work since the other thing finished (I think) — coming from BOOM, written by fellow 2000AD alumnus Si Spurrier and lettered by some hack. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

AlexF

I'd totally forgotten about the previous vote for Top Thrill - thanks for the reminder.
Fascinating to see how this Tourney version has shaken things out quite differently already: the old top 20 had 5 Wagner thrills in it, to no-one's surprise. But here we are with just 1 left!

Rogue Judge

This is an awesome way of presenting the results! I appreciate the visuals and effort. Interesting to see classics like Rogue and Slaine have fallen but stories like The Journal of Luke Kirby and Savage still stand...how much of the final results will be down to luck `O the draw?