Main Menu

And the Forum's Favourite Thrill is...

Started by AlexF, 20 September, 2022, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Let's do this one last time, just in case anyone hasn't been following along with the HOTLY contested final last week!

But first, the slightly less contentious 3rd/4th place play-off:

And the big winner is...

In case anyone wants to look back on preivous rounds, and can't quite face scrolling through pages of individual votes on the forum, it's summarised on this blog (which started life as a quest for the best Prog ever, before moving to best thrill)
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Quarter Finals
Semi Finals

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I've been waiting for this thread to be the perfect place to sum all this up. I mean this has been the best pile of nonsense I've been involved with on this forum and AlexF's visual summaries have been the absolute best thing about the whole thing... well almost.

So before I go any further I want to just once again state what absolute perfection his pictural choices are. Could that parting picture of Johnny be better. No. The simple answer is no. So AlexF my heartfelt thank you for making the nonsense I start look and seem so much better than it is.

But its not my favourite thing. My favourite thing is not even that this has been the most popular one of these to date. By my very rough calculations, over 6000 votes, across 333 ties at an average of over 18 a tie. I'm 74% certain no other tourney would match those numbers.

No my favourite thing is the conversations that have accompanied each tie. The insight, the nonsense. Heck even the votes for City of the Damned. Its been such brilliant fun and I've genuinely looked forward to posting new ties each morning wondering what wonderful, silly, insightful and interesting things would be posted about 'Darkness Visible' to 'Strontium Dog'; from 'London Falling' to 'Kingdom'. However obsure, or however talked to death - there was always something new to be discussed or said, or just plained laughted at.

Only you lot can do that and so my heartfelt thank you to each and everyone who voted, commented and joined in, be it once or like a few I suspect (hey Broodblik see you got here too!) who I reckon got to almost all. If not all the votes. The whole point of these tourneys is to have something to rally chat around to keep this vernable forum going and this one more than any other feels like its done that.

So let's have some fun here, thanks to AlexF, and as my friends in the office have got to saying and Crack on with what's next and what else can keep this board my favourite place on the internet.

Cheers folks.

Rogue Judge

Great summary Colin...that must be some Strontium thats blown in my eyes! Voting has been a ton of fun, and I've enjoyed reading people's comments and the outcomes on the train each morning. And yes, these visual summaries provided by AlexF are top shelf!

QUESTION! Do you have the data to know who had the most 'winning' votes? I wonder if anyone voted for all the thrills that won (certainly not me!). That would be interesting and some bragging rights to boot! And who's opinions should we never listen to again because they voted for all the loosers? ;)

AlexF

Thanks Colin for the most fun 6 months (? A year??) on this forum, not least an excuse to rummage through old Progs and collections hunting for pix.
You're dead right, the chance to enjoy people hurling opinions on long-forgotten and much-loved thrills is the BEST thing.

Proudhuff

Its been a gas, well done everyone involved!!
DDT did a job on me