Main Menu

The New Adventures of Pat Mills

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 13 October, 2022, 12:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I just had a quick sanity check on this, looking through a few issues. 316 was quite something. Ten pages of Dredd, 9 of Coburn and a whopping 32(!) for Reaper. And it looked like a storyboard – lots of big splash pages, but not a great deal of anything else.

That calmed down a bit later, but you still had episodes of around 18 pages, which was well over a third of the strip for each issue. So, erm, yeah. I do think I owe the series a re-read at some point, mind.

Funt Solo

These are visual maps of the Megazine's content during the three seasons (sic) of American Reaper (which is displayed in pink, including the Reaper Files):

Personally, the fact that it dominated the issues by page count didn't effect me because I was on a multi-year catch-up read.

Don't worry - I didn't make these visualizations specially for this thread - I've been recording content like this for [checks notes] decades. Sorry about the text quality - I had to zoom in.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Robin Low

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2022, 06:04:17 PM
Don't worry - I didn't make these visualizations specially for this thread -

Okay... but that suggests...

QuoteI've been recording content like this for [checks notes] decades. Sorry about the text quality - I had to zoom in.

Dear god, man! Why?

Regards,

Robin

Funt Solo

Quote from: Robin Low on 15 October, 2022, 06:40:34 PM
Dear god, man! Why?

Hurr. Short answer is that I find it useful. It's both content and structure, and helps me find stuff. I'm pretty sure Cosh has his own version of it, as well. Which *might* help him feed Barney from time to time. I'm not sure about the exact method by which Cosh feeds Barney.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

Quote from: WhizzBang on 13 October, 2022, 04:15:13 PM
The main thing that bothers me about this forum is the constant Mills-bashing that goes on here, and this thread is another example of it.
He deserves it NFTs are rancid. He has become old man shouting at clouds & in love with his own image.

Robin Low

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2022, 11:30:24 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 15 October, 2022, 06:40:34 PM
Dear god, man! Why?

Hurr. Short answer is that I find it useful. It's both content and structure, and helps me find stuff. I'm pretty sure Cosh has his own version of it, as well. Which *might* help him feed Barney from time to time. I'm not sure about the exact method by which Cosh feeds Barney.

If you like, I'll show you my timeline in which I fit all the decent 200AD stories with a hint of the Dredd world into one gloriously unifying whole.

(Which I've not bothered with for about 20 years now, because I'm past caring. Sadly.)

Regards,

Robin

Bad City Blue

As mostly a fan of his work, I found the fact that Slaine stopped half way through a story extremely irritating, even as Mills AND Rebellion touted it as a conclusion.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 October, 2022, 12:43:38 PM
even as Mills AND Rebellion touted it as a conclusion.

Well, if Pat had a commitment from Rebellion not to continue any of his stories without him, and then declared that this was going to be the last Slaine story, I'm not really sure what else they could do other than go along with it... (?)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

My understanding is that no one is allowed to touch any of Mills stories. That was the agreement made. Yes, it is annoying for book 1 (of 3) to be the end
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgeurko

Funt Solo

Or been consistently fractious throughout his career.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 October, 2022, 12:52:19 PM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 October, 2022, 12:43:38 PM
even as Mills AND Rebellion touted it as a conclusion.

Well, if Pat had a commitment from Rebellion not to continue any of his stories without him, and then declared that this was going to be the last Slaine story, I'm not really sure what else they could do other than go along with it... (?)

They could always draft in other creators to take over Pat's characters, one by one.  Because doing that with Indigo Prime and Devlin Waugh went down very well on the social media...

Art

To my knowledge and to his credit Pat Mills has not dropped out of communication midway through any projects, leaving artists and editor in the lurch, so that would be a different situation.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 19 October, 2022, 06:29:04 PM
They could always draft in other creators to take over Pat's characters, one by one.  Because doing that with Indigo Prime and Devlin Waugh went down very well on the social media...

Well, no. Pat says he has an assurance from Rebellion that his characters/stories will not continue without his involvement which, as Art notes, isn't the same thing as simply stopping responding to any communication about ongoing stories.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: Art on 19 October, 2022, 06:49:19 PM
To my knowledge and to his credit Pat Mills has not dropped out of communication midway through any projects, leaving artists and editor in the lurch, so that would be a different situation.
As I understood it, John Smith was so traumatised by the death of his partner that he was unable to continue. If that's the case, then I think he deserves sympathy. And I say this as a member of the less-than-exclusive I've Been Cyber-Bullied By John Smith Club.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!