Main Menu

Catchphrases

Started by Funt Solo, 01 November, 2022, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13school

Don't know if you'd call his best-loved lines catchphrases or political slogans, but Torquemada was clearly well aware of the power of repetition

AlexF

If nothing else, superhero movies have shown that when real people wear silly clothes and repeat catchphrases it's almost always dum - and yet in comics form it works SO well.

Magnetica

My 2000AD favourites where always:

"He didn't think not too many...indeed he didn't think it enough"

and the snappier

"Number four cartridge".

JayzusB.Christ

Have we mentioned 'thhhhe crrrimmmme isssssss lifffffe' yet?  That one works for me - he repeats it because he's an evangelical-type obsssessssive.  Do the other Dark Judges say it as well?  I can't remember.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 November, 2022, 12:42:20 AM
Have we mentioned 'thhhhe crrrimmmme isssssss lifffffe' yet?  That one works for me - he repeats it because he's an evangelical-type obsssessssive.  Do the other Dark Judges say it as well?  I can't remember.

One of my students is into creating his own death metal, and one of his lines is "Life is a crime!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Woolly

Quaequam Blag! Surely 'Borag Thungg' and 'Splundig Vur Thrigg' count too!
Or are we just a bunch of Grexnixs'?

JohnW

Quote from: Woolly on 05 November, 2022, 08:42:14 AM
Soth! You shame us all, sir.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Blue Cactus

ANNIHILATE!!! was a good one. No frills, does what it says on the tin.

Dash Decent

Quote from: JWare on 03 November, 2022, 08:07:25 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 03 November, 2022, 03:19:54 AM

Insomuch as Dredd has a 'catchphrase', perhaps it's something like "HI-EX!" or "INCENDIARY!"

Um... something about being the Law or something?

I never thought "I am the law!" was an appropriate catchphrase for Dredd.  What is he declaring?  That he is enforcing the law?  That he is the embodiment of the law?  It sounds more like the kind of "I'm in charge" power-tripping remark that Cal would make.  "Do what I say, because me, I'm the law, and that's all there is to it.  What I say goes."

I do see how it fits in with the Judges being able to pass sentence as well as arrest people, but that capability's not unique to Dredd.  If Dredd said it as a plain statement, "I am the law (here and now, in this situation we're dealing with)", it would make more sense.  He is not the type to boast and swagger so emphatically referencing himself seems off.  "I am the law!  Do what I say, because what I say goes."
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Woolly on 05 November, 2022, 08:42:14 AM

Does that count as catchphrases or just someone speaking a foreign language?  Beethoven probably went around saying "Guten Morgen" at the start of each day.  Was that his catchphrase?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JohnW

Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 November, 2022, 07:18:20 AM
Does that count as catchphrases or just someone speaking a foreign language?  Beethoven probably went around saying "Guten Morgen" at the start of each day.  Was that his catchphrase?

Good heavens. Beethoven's catchphrase. I never realised he needed one.
I can see him now, hands on hips, cape blowing in the wind, saying something punchy but cheesy –  witty but increasingly meaningless on closer examination.
Something like Take the Fifth! perhaps?
Dah-dah-dah-DUM
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

I, Cosh

Set Phasers to stun? More like: Ode, to Joy!
We never really die.

JohnW

Do you want to pitch it to Marvel or will I?

JohnW

Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 November, 2022, 07:15:07 AM

I never thought "I am the law!" was an appropriate catchphrase for Dredd.  What is he declaring?  That he is enforcing the law?  That he is the embodiment of the law?  It sounds more like the kind of "I'm in charge" power-tripping remark that Cal would make.  "Do what I say, because me, I'm the law, and that's all there is to it.  What I say goes."

I do see how it fits in with the Judges being able to pass sentence as well as arrest people, but that capability's not unique to Dredd.  If Dredd said it as a plain statement, "I am the law (here and now, in this situation we're dealing with)", it would make more sense.  He is not the type to boast and swagger so emphatically referencing himself seems off.  "I am the law!  Do what I say, because what I say goes."

From Prog 474:

Let the first law be that I am the law.
And let the second law be that what I say goes.
And let the third law be that anyone who says different's a dead man.

One of my favourites.

credo

We've not had "SHAKARA!!!" yet, have we? Or BIG JOBS!!! for that matter.

Thinking of Mek-Quake, one of the other Terra-Meks also gave us the snazzy "I have ten forward and five reverse gears and I must complete my work quota!"