Main Menu

Here's one I did earlier - drawings from our past

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 December, 2020, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

That Cerebus/Jaka is fantastic.  And the Bacchus!

Colin YNWA

Few final pictures of me with my nerd friends from (gulp) over 25 years ago...

Trooper McFad

Absolutely love the Calvin & Hobbes one. I went through a stage at work many many years ago trying to draw/ doodle that lovable duo during tea breaks. I could only dream of getting half as good as that never mind adding in a self portrait.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

shaolin_monkey

They are fab! And I too love the C&H one.  Isn't it great how many forumites seem to have been influenced by a wee lad and his tiger?

TordelBack

You're a talent, Mr. YNWA.  I always thought your brilliant C&H homages were just really clever, very carefully-done, re-workings, but it turns out that's just the tip of the artberg.

ming

Great to see these!  Here's a few examples of a limited amount of old stuff I still have kicking about the place (I did these aged about 17 or so I think).  All done with trusty Rotring pens - which I still love but rarely use these days*.  Not sure why I never got round to finishing some of these; probably just moved on to something else.  I remember recreating some O'Neill Nemesis and some Fabry Slaine but those seem to have vanished; have a few other pieces, mostly copies of stuff by the same few artists - Cam (Rogue), Bryan Talbot (melty-face Gothic Empire Torquemada), Bisley ABCs and some more McCarthy.

Bisley

Fabry

Cam

McCarthy (from Freakwave)

* I started doing linocuts about a year ago and I think it's become clear that it's the process of art I like, more than the end result (at least when I'm doing it).  I've spent many hours turning an idea into a doodle into a refined image and then producing a linocut, only to print it and only see the errors, before moving onto the next idea.

Colin YNWA

Really like your inking Ming. Especially on Torque and that masked fella at the end.

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 December, 2020, 11:45:41 AM
Really like your inking Ming. Especially on Torque and that masked fella at the end.

Thanks, Colin - it's a looooong time since I copied anything but I could (maybe) do a slightly better job of it now; these are a bit clunky and the component parts of the images don't flow very well, but as a kid with a set of Rotring pens and no idea what I was doing, they're okay.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: ming on 17 December, 2020, 11:39:10 AM
Great to see these!  Here's a few examples of a limited amount of old stuff I still have kicking about the place (I did these aged about 17 or so I think).  All done with trusty Rotring pens - which I still love but rarely use these days*.  Not sure why I never got round to finishing some of these; probably just moved on to something else.  I remember recreating some O'Neill Nemesis and some Fabry Slaine but those seem to have vanished; have a few other pieces, mostly copies of stuff by the same few artists - Cam (Rogue), Bryan Talbot (melty-face Gothic Empire Torquemada), Bisley ABCs and some more McCarthy.

Bisley

Fabry

Cam

McCarthy (from Freakwave)

* I started doing linocuts about a year ago and I think it's become clear that it's the process of art I like, more than the end result (at least when I'm doing it).  I've spent many hours turning an idea into a doodle into a refined image and then producing a linocut, only to print it and only see the errors, before moving onto the next idea.
Those are great Ming ever tempted to finish the inks on the bottom 3?
Pity you've misplaced the Rogue one 🙁 (he's ma favourite ❤️)

ming

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 17 December, 2020, 11:51:00 AM

Not really considered finishing those off; they're only copies of stuff (stuff I still love, admittedly) and they are what they are, nothing I'm very bothered about seeing finished.

I have a couple of Rogue pieces but they're pretty shonky (and the lighting on the pic doesn't help); here's one:

Trooper McFad

Quote from: ming on 17 December, 2020, 11:58:15 AM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 17 December, 2020, 11:51:00 AM

Not really considered finishing those off; they're only copies of stuff (stuff I still love, admittedly) and they are what they are, nothing I'm very bothered about seeing finished.

I have a couple of Rogue pieces but they're pretty shonky (and the lighting on the pic doesn't help); here's one:

Thanks for the request 👍🏻 I like his face he looks pissed off and about to do some norty some damage 😁

shaolin_monkey