Main Menu

Friday chat - what's happening with you?

Started by Bolt-01, 30 August, 2019, 08:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: JamesC on 06 September, 2019, 09:31:04 AM
It's Friday again already!
Tonight I'm going to my mate's house to play retro games and drink beer.
I think it's going to be PC Engine and Megadrive games tonight.

Been looking to get all the old games systems back, or some sort of emulator, but seeing as I'm tech illiterate, I've not found the courage to start!

Today we have a leaving do for somebody out of work, so I'm tagging along for a Guinness or ten. Off to see a caravan, how middle aged, tomorrow with the wife and hoping then hoping on Sunday I can just cook for most of day while throwing red wine down me.

JamesC

Quote from: Rately on 06 September, 2019, 10:09:54 AM

Been looking to get all the old games systems back, or some sort of emulator, but seeing as I'm tech illiterate, I've not found the courage to start!

Today we have a leaving do for somebody out of work, so I'm tagging along for a Guinness or ten. Off to see a caravan, how middle aged, tomorrow with the wife and hoping then hoping on Sunday I can just cook for most of day while throwing red wine down me.

The Megadrive Mini and PC Engine Mini are being released later this year/early next year respectively. Both have a decent selection of games built in and retails at less that £90. They're just plug and play systems, so as long as you have an HDMI socket on your telly you should be good to go.
This is probably the easiest way to get into playing old games if you don't want to faff with emulators (which I hate) or old consoles and CRT TVs (which I love, but they take up loads of space and can be expensive).

sheridan

I shall be mostly checking which creative droids will be around for Day of Dredd in Central London, and trying to work out what the minimum amount of comics or collections I can take along to get most signed.

von Boom

I will be doing little else other than sitting in front of the telly cramming as much pizza and red wine down my gullet as possible and catching up on some neglected films.

Rately

Quote from: JamesC on 06 September, 2019, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: Rately on 06 September, 2019, 10:09:54 AM

The Megadrive Mini and PC Engine Mini are being released later this year/early next year respectively. Both have a decent selection of games built in and retails at less that £90. They're just plug and play systems, so as long as you have an HDMI socket on your telly you should be good to go.
This is probably the easiest way to get into playing old games if you don't want to faff with emulators (which I hate) or old consoles and CRT TVs (which I love, but they take up loads of space and can be expensive).

I'd love a PC Engine Mini! The memories roll back of a young Rately, purusing the latest issue of CVG, in awe of the graphics the PC Engine Mini offered!

The quicker we get an Amiga Mini, the better.

Mardroid

I shall likely be meeting the Southern Contingent London way and traipsing to Gosh and FP.

Not too fussed about getting stuff signed.* Be nice to see the others, breathe in the Dreddy atmosphere and buy a couple of items maybe. And probably down a couple of beers or 3.

* The drawing gig at Gosh peaks my interest although I think it'll be aimed at the young uns, which is a good thing, don't get me wrong. I will feel a bit silly being the only adult without a nipper taking part, though, but I can go in an observational capacity.... We used to have a child sized ventriloquist doll called Freddie, I could have brought but he has appeared to have walked.** He was one ugly critter, and would need a deep hood to pass as a child, to be fair.

**A scary thought considering the nightmares I had about him as a nipper.

TordelBack

Tomorrow we're doing a family BBQ for my youngest, who will rather improbably be turning 10. She's deep into Lego, Minecraft, Raina Telgemeier comics, Pokemon and every-book-ever-printed, so she's an easy pleasure to shop for! Downside is I'll miss the chance of making PJ's acquaintance at Day of Dredd in Dundrum, but that's an upside for him, so it all balances out.

Also be commissersating with colleagues who've just been made redundant (by e-mail!) from the same company I suffered so much angst over being let go from (by e-mail!) only last year, which just goes to show that you can waste a lot of time worrying about your own inadequacies when things don't amount to anything more than a shrinking business and HR rudeness.

And hopefully I'll get also chance to read a chunk of the new Neal Stephenson which fell into my welcoming arms today.

And paint minis, always paint minis.

Rackle

Well seeing as it's Friday evening again, I am currently annoying my neighbours by strumming my guitar and singing along shamelessly - because I can.  :lol:

Tomorrow I shall be at the Southern Contingent meetup in London Village, but have no goods to be signed - I'm just there for the thrillpower of being amidst other happy squaxxes.

Sunday I shall be on a quest of electrically illuminated Klegg heads and T Rexes - if successful I'm sure Sheridan and I shall start a separate thread of our newly acquired bounties, with pics.

And then to finalise the weekend I'm off to have a final session of inky stabbings to my back as I have been getting my back tattooed since April  to commiserate / celebrate entering my 4th decade on this planet.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2019, 06:05:52 PM
And hopefully I'll get also chance to read a chunk of the new Neal Stephenson which fell into my welcoming arms today.
Hadn't heard he had a new one out - I'm a few behind at the moment (then again, I'm also behind on PTerry and Iain M Banks, so that shows how lax my reading has been).

QuoteAnd paint minis, always paint minis.
Wotcha going to be painting?

Hawkmumbler

Doing sweet bugger all. The interview zapped me today and I couldn't be fucked going for a drink, so recovering with gin and comics.

Next weekend i'm heading down to London though for the Barbican 25th anniversary screening of Macross Plus though so hell yeah!

Bolt-01

Ladies delivered safely, blood donated and Hateful Eight watched (crazy film) so I'm lettering again! Alwaost finished with Velicity Jones 03 for ACES Weekly and begun rough letters for the 4th Killing Moon to be launched at this years TB.

PHEW!

Oh, and this week I've commissioned about 8 new strips for FQP including one written by Kev Hopgood and hopefully tomorrow I'll get chance to work on the dress for the new Zarjaz cover by... nah, not yet.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan
Wotcha going to be painting?

Just grinding through the Conquest magazine stuff, trying to keep from drowning in multicoloured plastic. Made a big push and got all the scenery so-far built and primed the other week, and now its sheer black mass is intimidating me, so I'm back on basecoating minis while trying not to meet its eye...

More seriously i find it's all solid quasi-meditative practice, much like fishing but without the cruelty, and with a guarantee that I'll have something completely pointless to show for my efforts. Art for the utterly uncreative. The magazine has been great for me, and I keep finding excuses not to drop it (ooh, Typhus soon!).

The Stephenson is Fall, of which I sadly managed just one page before falling asleep last night... long week!

shaolin_monkey

Far too much booze last night. Worst hangover since Lawless. Lying in bed waiting for the painkillers to kick, after a sumptuous breakfast from my beautiful partner.

If I recover today? More studying the science of climate change (It's a superb course! We're all so screwed!), and if my splitting headache subsides I'll try and get stuck into my grade 6 pieces on harp.

Other than that, I'll just be waiting to see what news is announced re Day of Dredd,

Hawkmumbler

Took an impulse trial session in Muay Thai Kickboxing today hosted at my gym, god every muscle I didn't know I had hurts but it feels good to push my limits for the first time in year. Back before work, university and....other social events, got in the way, I did Karate several times a week and gods I was slim then. Hoping on top of my 5 day workout routine i'll shed the pounds.

One good thing about cosplay, it makes you want to look your best for any project you do, so it's been a great way of persuading myself to get back in shape.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 September, 2019, 11:23:11 AM

One good thing about cosplay, it makes you want to look your best for any project you do, so it's been a great way of persuading myself to get back in shape.

Agreed. I used to work hard to stay slim and buff for my Judge Pal outfit. Sadly now it would take a year of gym and salads to get me back in it.