Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Zenith vs. Anderson PSi Division Rd 5 Heat 15

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 August, 2022, 07:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

As you might expect its been very close and a right ol' battle

Both these thrills are absolutely superb

Zenith has the advantage of being contained, control and therefore consistantly brilliant

Where as Anderson has run and run. A character who for 20 years was served by great stories, but then couldn't be retired and no one seems to know quite what to do with?

I SUSPECT THAT'S WHAT HAS COST IT HERE

Such a shame as it was so good, so good, for so long. In the end though

Zenith

will be checking his biorhythm for Round 6

JayzusB.Christ

I missed this one, but would have gone Zenith too - Not a bit of what (afair) Funt calls 'bloat'; everything is there to power the story onwards. The mix of everyday pop culture and dizzyingly huge multiverse-spanning events was just perfect.

Anderson is an incredible character and one that shaped the identity of the prog, but as has been mentioned, there are just too many duds.  I'm also not a fan of massive MC1-continuity-shattering stories being thrown out there and then instantly forgotten about - A whole generation of Mega-City children disappearing into the Cursed Earth, for example; and Christianity being outlawed completely. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i read morrison's dress rehearsals - in starblazer and in harrier comics and in a couple of future shocks - and they all showed promise, but they also showed a talented and very smart young comics writer trying to make sense of what to do with the already long and magnificent shadow of alan moore. zenith was a casting of that shadow aside and becoming an inimitable grant morrison. as others have said, there was no fat at all on this supple and kinetic storytelling - and hindsight tells us that yeowell was the only artist who could have reflected all of this. it's a great superhero tale, a great occult story and an extraordinary evisceration of the eighties - in fact one of the few good contemporaneous daggers being brilliantly stuck in to a decade that might have been a little freer of #endofdays feelings than now, but was, nonetheless, a dark time that does not deserve all the fond nostalgia that people are feeling for it these days.
zenith is magnificent, flawless, stylish literature, that still reveals more upon every reread. in terms of 2000ad, in my opinion, only halo jones was greater. still that shadow, natch.

Richard

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++