Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Steven Denton on 07 November, 2011, 05:25:59 PM
I was thinking about what I was going to write for my next pitch to Zarjaz. I have a few ideas that I have been mulling over but I'm pretty sure my next script will be about Chopper as a middle age man. Chopper had a pretty rough ride after Song of the surfer (witch is one of my favourite comic strips ever!)

I drew this picture of how I see the character now as inspiration. I don't tend to draw my own strips if Zarjaz picks them up but if it gets rejected I may draw this one myself.

That looks really cool - mark me down for wanting to see some more of that  :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Loathe as I am to follow on from the glorious Mr Denton - WHO IS GLORIOUS - here's some fantasy-style heads from a rejected project ;)

radiator

Working on something that I've been meaning to do for a while - eventually it's going to be a panoramic street scene with multiple characters. I've also started experimenting with Google Sketchup to construct 3D props and buildings for my illustratons. It's a great little program - and is surprisingly versatile (and fast - you can knock up a decent building in around 20 minutes). Not sure how I'm going to integrate it all together yet, but I hate drawing buildings the conventional way so this is going to be a huge help in the future. At some point I'm going to use it to build up a library of Mega-City Blocks to make drawing Dredd strips much more managable!

The basic wireframe can be lit and shaded, then a little work in Photoshop you can tweak it further...

KingMonkeysUnkle

Sorry this post was supposed to pertain to the Star Wars creature in the tub up above. Ooops.

That is truly superb.
It would scare the bejesus out of my little ones at bath time.
Hmm. Have you thought about hiring it out!! Ho ho

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk
It 'aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

johnnystress

great stuff Radiator

I cant make head or tail of google sketchup so I'm very impressed

DoomBot

Quote from: johnnystress on 08 November, 2011, 07:57:34 PM
great stuff Radiator

I cant make head or tail of google sketchup so I'm very impressed

Agreed. Good job Radiator. I decided some time back that I was sufficiently challenged by two dimensions as not to worry about a third. How long did it take to knock up that building?

radiator

I learnt the basics of Sketchup in an afternoon. Someone lent me a copy of the ...For Dummies manual, but I only need it for a bit of reference. You should give it a go - drawing a shape a 'pulling' it into three dimensions is both intuitive and immensely satisfying. I suspect real 3d modellers regard it in the same way photoshop users view MS Paint, but it's a fun, free way to experiment. You're never going to make anything approaching photorealism with it, but thats not what I'm interested in anyway.

Once you're up to speed you can easily put a basic building together in 20mins. I just make a complete floor and duplicate it. Windows and things like that can easily be copied and pasted so take no time at all.

Rounded or unconventional shaped things are a lot trickier - the plane and van each easily took a couple of hours.

Chris Fain

Owen,
I'm loving the artwork. Your stuff is just so expresssive. It reminds me a little of Robert Crumb, but maybe that's just me.

radiator,
Nice pencils. If you were an animator, I would watch any show you worked on, just to see your characters move.
I've tried to use Google Sketchup, but not being an artist, I find it difficult to make anything resembling anything. It is really fun to mess around with though.

RossBam

would appreciate some feedback on current story I'm working on.
more follows at deviant art:

http://nemesisbeast.deviantart.com/gallery/30849965#/d4g5loh

wonder if anyone's interested in having a crack at colouring anything?

CrazyFoxMachine

Those are some nice pages there Rossbam auld fella - here, you don't think you could do a three or one pager before the 1st, do yer? I need some sequential stuff done for Dr WTF!

Also - here's a woman with birds.

RossBam

Sure - I'll be happy to do either 1 or 3 pages  - send me a PM or email me the details.
And I like the girl with the birds.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

A couple more efforts:

and...

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
You may quote me on that.

Cpt Rhodes

Quote from: radiator on 08 November, 2011, 08:28:44 PM
I suspect real 3d modellers regard it in the same way photoshop users view MS Paint, but it's a fun, free way to experiment.

Don't knock it. I use Maya and Lightwave on a daily basis and I struggled to get into Sketchup. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I suppose. I love the slight warping bend you have in the tower block. Gives it the cartoon feel in one fell swoop.

CrazyFoxMachine

Pops that is a GRUMPY Cthulu - I counter it with this smoking pig!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I believe Churchill said something about dogs looking up to you, cats looking down on you, and pigs treating you as equals.... My first thoughts on seeing your post CFM.

HULK SMASH

You may quote me on that.