Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTurner

Quote from: Jon on 19 November, 2012, 07:20:27 AM
I love that, Davey.

Putting stuff together for the weekend I remembered this piece that I was working on with Emperor. In light of comments received at Thought Bubble I think I'm going to reappraise a lot about how I work however, I still have quite a soft spot for this;

Having seen the artwork posted on the ThoughtBubble thread I'd be upset if you started reapraising your work too much, though without knowing the comments I cannot really comment myself.

Jon

Oh, hey, thanks.

It's not so much the comments I received, which were all brilliant and useful, but more how I felt when it came to showing people the pages and some of the realisations/ regrets that immediately washed over me on doing so, chief of which was a strong feeling that; a/ I was overcomplicating things and; b/ I really wasn't planning stuff out carefully enough in a misconstrued attempt to maintain speed - which, ultimately, didn't happen because of problems that arose down the line.

I'll always continue to experiment, I think, because I find that side of things exciting (and perhaps struggle to focus). I'm lucky that I get opportunity to do so as "occasional" concept artist.

In terms of comics though I just want to take a deep breath, calm down, and go back to first principles just to see what that particular avenue can yield.

This forum overall is amazing in terms of it's support and encouragement, so I hope I didn't come across as churlish. I'm not changing my approach because I regret anything (other than the usual slight disappointment that can creep in for any work you do as you develop towards where you want to be); rather more that I'm now really excited about taking a different, perhaps more straight-forward appoach.

JTurner

It's the self-abuse that always hurts the most  ;)

The problem with making comics (or any illustrations or art) for free or for the public domain as you're travelling towards the fabled land of where-you-want-to-be is that you get no real editorial feedback or indication as to how far along the road you are - only feedback from peers or from yourself or from panels.

You're always going to be your harshest critic, and the irony of panels is that no matter how awesome your work is it's rare that you'll get anything more than another pat on the back because there's nothing more thant they can offer.

Then again, everyone here's already heard this in one form or another. Self-doubt is a bastard, though.

Jon

I think what was really interesting for me was that, despite being great enough to give some feedback and consider what I put in front of them, you could tell they just weren't excited by anything I showed. That was the most useful part for me because you could then see what did excite them about other people's work, and think about how you can apply yourself to that sort of output.

Of course, it's all partly the luck of the draw. I've sat on similar panels in review of other people; I'm sure they cared more than I did, and I certainly couldn't tell you what advice I gave now. It's good to be on the scary side of that process from time to time, there's a definite value to it if only in sweeping out the cobwebs a bit.

It's just playing the game, really, isn't? I don't know anyone who's serious about being an artist that isn't constantly reappraising themselves. If I'm following a road, then I keep getting distracted by interesting looking places off to the side, and head over for a quick look. it's a fun journey though.

JTurner

The fun bit is the most important. I suppose I was just reflecting back to when I got fed up, packed it all in for a while, and set myself back for a couple of years in which I hardly did anything productive. Doh. My fault for going up to a panel with a not too well thought out portfolio and a few pints (in me, not as a gift to the panel).

For what it's worth, myself and plenty others here found your work very exciting and of a great standard, but again as you said it's a game of chance, and actually being on a panel and appraising work (and seing other work being appraised) is unusual because where else do you not only see so many different interpretations on the same theme, but actually have to assess them in an objective way, and you never really know their preconceptions of what they wanted which of course makes that work click for them.

When you mentioned the excitement of looking at a piece of work I thought I could get through the post withough using a phrase like "What is it that gives work the X factor?". Now I've just gone and cheapened this whole thread.

Jon

Quote from: JTurner on 20 November, 2012, 04:58:36 PM
The fun bit is the most important. I suppose I was just reflecting back to when I got fed up, packed it all in for a while, and set myself back for a couple of years in which I hardly did anything productive. Doh. My fault for going up to a panel with a not too well thought out portfolio and a few pints (in me, not as a gift to the panel).

I was very hung over.

Yeah, I did that too, a couple of times, firstly because one of the first people I ever worked with was Wayne Reynolds, and he was so apparently effortlessly good I just felt like I could never reach the required standard, and a second time because spread sheets and getting other people to do the work seemed so much more appealing (it wasn't). Ultimately though, I just couldn't give it up.

For what it's worth, myself and plenty others here found your work very exciting and of a great standard,

It's worth an enormous amount and I appreciate it hugely, as well as feeling the same about a lot of others here. the majority of the weekend was about meeting some of the people I admire that I first encountered here, and was incredibly rewarding. Especially the dancing!

Being on the boards has lead to me getting work in Dogbreath and Futurequake, plus some other offers, and it's something I really hope to continue. The community aspect is at least as big a part of it for me.

but again as you said it's a game of chance, and actually being on a panel and appraising work (and seing other work being appraised) is unusual because where else do you not only see so many different interpretations on the same theme, but actually have to assess them in an objective way, and you never really know their preconceptions of what they wanted which of course makes that work click for them.

When you mentioned the excitement of looking at a piece of work I thought I could get through the post withough using a phrase like "What is it that gives work the X factor?". Now I've just gone and cheapened this whole thread.

Awesome! :D

michael kennedy

you're right about the boards jon,this one in particular where other forums are only active on the seeking work threads, this really has a community feel as opposed to spammy posts from people wanting to 'flat colours for you comics'

www.mdkennedyia.wordpress.com

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jon on 20 November, 2012, 05:13:55 PM
Being on the boards has lead to me getting work in Dogbreath and Futurequake,

ah so that's you? (I've always been shit at recognising who does what or remembering what I've seen before) - good stuff, I really like your work in these.

Jon

Thanks Dan.

Actually, credit where it's due, Derek had a huge input into the visuals.

David Broughton

Hi Jon, I just had a look at your thoughtbubble pages, great colouring, nice sequential story telling, top layouts, and good character work. Keep going mate, I genuinely hope you make it. :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: mikekennedy on 20 November, 2012, 06:15:54 PM
where other forums are only active on the seeking work threads, this really has a community feel as opposed to spammy posts from people wanting to 'flat colours for you comics'

So true. ALSO I WILL FLAT FOR MONEY.

The Legendary Shark

There doesn't seem to be a 'this doesn't qualify as art but I'm so starved for attention that I wanted to post this crud anyway' thread. So I posted this crud here instead.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That picture raises several philosophical questions. Chief among which is; WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FREE SPACE SPINNER?????
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

That is the very question sparking consciousness in that ape.

A Labrador ate mine.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

David Broughton

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 November, 2012, 01:27:37 AM

There doesn't seem to be a 'this doesn't qualify as art but I'm so starved for attention that I wanted to post this crud anyway' thread. So I posted this crud here instead.

Like the piccy Mark.  Made me chuckle. :D