Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: The Bearded Wonder

Started by broodblik, 18 April, 2022, 06:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 19 April, 2022, 07:45:20 PM
Quotesuffers badly from not being complete.

You wouldn't even know that if Tharg hadn't told you. Just going by reading the stories, there's nothing to indicate that book 3 wasn't the last. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it just ends.

I agree with you ... mostly. The final panel of Book III says "End of Book Three", rather than "The End" - so there's a suggestion of more to come. It would be easy to be persuaded that the prologue to Book II suggests a much wider saga stretching beyond the events of Book III - although you could argue that's just added depth within a finite story.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I did/does slightly bother me that the whole point of Halo Jones is that she's 'ordinary' - and yet there's this idea that someone she will go on ot become so extraordinary that her life becomes a subject of study. I guess the point is that that anyone's life can be / is worthy of people's attention, but I worry that each subsequent exploit of Ms Jones would be less engaging. Apparently it made Neil Gaiman cry, though, so what do I know.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 20 April, 2022, 09:14:34 AM
I did/does slightly bother me that the whole point of Halo Jones is that she's 'ordinary' - and yet there's this idea that someone she will go on to become so extraordinary that her life becomes a subject of study. I guess the point is that that anyone's life can be / is worthy of people's attention, but I worry that each subsequent exploit of Ms Jones would be less engaging.

Maybe the most important line in the Ballad is when the professor quotes Halo - 'Anyone could have done it.' Yes, she did amazing things and became a figure of legend, but the point is that she did it without any special skills, abilities, or superpowers. An antidote to the 'child of prophecy/destiny foretold in the stars/only you have the power...' tropes.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'll go with Halo too... largely because while Watchmen is u doubted a work of "towering comics genius" as someone said, I've always found it a bit dull. My favourite Moore works outside of the prog are From Hell, Captain Britain, Swamp Thing and the Neonomicon/ Providence series.

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Apparently it made Neil Gaiman cry, though, so what do I know.

He's married to Amanda Palmer. He probably cries a lot.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 April, 2022, 03:11:37 PM
Apparently it made Neil Gaiman cry, though, so what do I know.

He's married to Amanda Palmer. He probably cries a lot.

Arf!

To answer the question. Good as Halo is, Watchmen literally changed the world of comics and it hasn't found another voice since, so that.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Magnetica on 18 April, 2022, 09:16:26 AM
For me his best work is neither of those, its DR & Quinch. And his future shocks, like The Last Stand of the Platinum Horde or the English Phlondrutian Phrasebook.

I'm with you on the Future Shocks, Magnetica. The Reversible Man, Going Native, Wages of Sin, The Hyper-Historic Headbang : all time classics.

But in this pairing : Watchmen.

broodblik

Talk to the beard people the beard is wise and the beard know them all but the full beard will only be revealed on a Monday
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

It's very, very tough because they're two very different stories, which is amazing given that they're by the same writer around the same era.  Breaks my heart to say it but Watchmen squeaks through for me; I've read it over and over again and it truly deserves its reputation.  Comics that came after Watchmen are different from the ones that came before.

Which is not to say Halo Jones isn't also one of the best Sci fi stories in any medium ever, of course.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

In the beginning everyone votes for the prog but then a few was cast in the favor of a murder investigation but the prog was just too strong

Voting closed the winner:

Halo Jones
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

credo

Halo Jones is a thing of wonder and probably the most clearly original thing Moore has done (i.e., isn't referencing other characters or building on established characters).

Having said that, I'm a sucker for his Captain Britain stuff ...

... and I can't believe no one has mentioned Miracleman! God I love that!

Dandontdare

... or Swamp Thing - I'm just rereading those at the moment and they're fantastic