Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

There's a poo joke here but it's just too easy.

The Legendary Shark

Eeyore to have been more careful...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

The Lost Boys is fucking finally on Netflix USA!!

ThryllSeekyr

By some strange coincidence....

Lost Boys was on the Thriller channel last night.

This film is real gem with excellent soundtrack and almost very close to Vampire the Masquerade. Except these vampires are still not so careful and really need to lock up their sea side lair.

Loved the scene when they challenged the older brother to motorbike race across the fog enshrouded strip beach and then the thing with hanging by the rail road tracks. I don't think we have anything like that round here. 

They don't make 80's lite-horror like this anymore.

Just a couple of things, Keiver-Vampire expired when (Or so we think?) when he was impaled on the horns of a gazelle. Not exactly a wooden stake, but then again, I'm not too sure of how the mythology works in this film. Those horns could also be his a personal weakness that he had, but that would be  just too much a coincidence.

Also, the older brother who was half-vampire by that extent decide to try revoke the real head-vampire's invitation into his house after already inviting him inside on a earlier occasion. Not sure if that was possible, but I don't think it work either way. He was already inside.

BY the standards set by Vampire : The Masquerade  there is no such magic barring a vampire  from entering you house if they have the muscle or lock-picking skills to do so. It's basically all about politeness. They only consider it  not good etiquette to enter any place of residence that isn't their own with out a invite and this probably means that they will expect to be invited or not each time. Because this has nothing to do with magic, they just decide to walk or break in at the minor risk of appearing rude.

There are plenty of bad-manner vampires in the World of Darkness.

Buttonman

If you are on a vampire binge ThryllSeeker you'll like What We Do in the Shadows which covers most vampire types.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Buttonman on 06 June, 2015, 11:12:11 AM
If you are on a vampire binge ThryllSeeker you'll like What We Do in the Shadows which covers most vampire types.

Plus some werewolves!

Theblazeuk

Jim_Campbell

Tomorrowland. No idea why this is getting hated on so much — passed a perfectly amiable couple of hours. Ironically, the film's seemingly inevitable box office failure actually proves its point and, doubly ironically, the plot's major maguffin revolves around a [spoiler]self-fulfilling prophecy[/spoiler]. Shame. It deserved to do better.

Almost seems like Disney are determined to humble their Pixar directors when they do a live action movie for them...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 June, 2015, 12:33:44 AM
Tomorrowland. No idea why this is getting hated on so much — passed a perfectly amiable couple of hours. Ironically, the film's seemingly inevitable box office failure actually proves its point and, doubly ironically, the plot's major maguffin revolves around a [spoiler]self-fulfilling prophecy[/spoiler]. Shame. It deserved to do better.

Almost seems like Disney are determined to humble their Pixar directors when they do a live action movie for them...

Cheers

Jim

Well, John Carter was originally supposed to be released under the Pixar banner ("Pixar's first live-action movie!"). Until Disney saw it and released it under their name instead to take the hit and keep Pixar's winning run. No idea if that was ever the plan here with Tomorrowland. All I know is the trailers and posters failed horribly at convincing me to plunk down my cash.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Buttonman on 06 June, 2015, 11:12:11 AM

Yeah, I seen most of the film in bits and pieces some parts of it and seemed have parts more directly inspired of that very game I spoke of with actual Masquerade scene and there were werewolves. I liked that bit at the end when one of them tries to hypnotise the viewer that nothing was out of the ordinary.

I like the semi-period-gothic house they all lived in, but thought that traditional vampires were the city-builders and dwellers (That's how it is in Vampires - The Masquerade) and like Count Dracula  himself they brought real-estate. Like he did made plans to with Jonathan Harker back in his medieval castle residence in Transylvania. He brought land in the city of London to be his new home,. Yet, I really believe they let the human folk move on to the land and house they have fixed up and make their home there while owners stay in some nearby crypt. So at night  they can prey on them, drink their blood with better ease and also use them as a front when the authorities arrive. 

Of course, in that film, the police pay them a visit and they're caught with their pants down. (So to speak!)   
They should had a underground crypt in the nearby graveyard or in the cellar where they could hide. 

Just like the creepy video store owner who turned out to be the Arch-Vampire had some dogs guarding his crypt in The Lost Boys.

Of course, I understand this was film was not meant to be taken seriously.  It's a lot like that series od spoofed filmed based on Scream.

Watching the Neophyte (The three older vampires had embraced into their coven.) vomit blood in alleyway after eating chip s is another a part of mythology where vampires can't keep mortal food down, only blood. Is true to the same game I mentioned above, where everything that was once food to these monster, tastes like ash's and can no longer be consumed.  Where blood is as sweet as ice-cream.  Not so sure about other fluids though. Maybe if they were mixed with blood. The blood sustains their life and is used to fuel their ungodly powers. Rightly, the bloke should not have been vomiting blood, but the barely digested chips he ate earlier.

The Lost boys is a classic!

Don't even bother with the so called sequels, The magic is gone.....

ModsAndDrokkers

Just watched the first 42 minutes of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, and I often skip past the home violation scene as it is not pleasant to watch----the last two-thirds of the film are a bit of a slog, but that first third is a roller-coaster ride of anarchic mayhem, notwithstanding the bad rear-projection shot of the droogs in the car driving along the country roads at night.

I no longer own a TV set, but I go to the cinema frequently: 4 times a week this year usually.

This weeks' viewings:

MAD MAX FURY ROAD [visually very good]

SPY By-the-numbers Hollywood fluff]

DANNY COLLINS satire on an ageing megastar, quite good

TOMORROWLAND  inventive and fast-moving.

Hawkmumbler

Pixars running hits?! Clearly you haven't seen either of the Cars movies nor Monsters University.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: blackmocco on 07 June, 2015, 01:45:51 AM
Well, John Carter was originally supposed to be released under the Pixar banner ("Pixar's first live-action movie!"). Until Disney saw it and released it under their name instead to take the hit and keep Pixar's winning run.

Interesting take on it. Do you have any cites for that? I'm genuinely just curious because 1) your version assumes that John Carter is so bad that it's immediately identifiable as an irredeemable stinker on viewing, which I would dispute, and 2) the broad consensus I've heard/read is that JC lost a producer leaving no one to fight the movie's corner when Disney realised they could get their hands on Star Wars and didn't need two fantasy-SF franchises.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 June, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
Pixars running hits?! Clearly you haven't seen either of the Cars movies nor Monsters University.

I stopped watching Pixar film s since Toy-Story-Two (Awesome Opening Scene with Buzz-Light-Year and Bug's Life.

I guess these aren't really for anybody with out children.

JudgeOiNK!

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 07 June, 2015, 12:39:41 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 June, 2015, 09:16:08 AM

I stopped watching Pixar film s since Toy-Story-Two (Awesome Opening Scene with Buzz-Light-Year and Bug's Life.

I guess these aren't really for anybody with out children.

That's a very broad conclusion.  While they may not be your cup of tea none of my close friends have kids and we're all big Pixar fans, as well as Dreamworks.  I thought Toy Story 2 was a bit shoddy but the third ended up as my favourite, and while Cars had me leaving the cinema halfway through out of boredom, I loved Up and was enchanted by Wall-E.

Just like any other studio each of their films won't appeal to everybody who liked the one before, they're all very different, again just like any studio.
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce