Main Menu

Prog 1934 - Warp Factor Ten!

Started by Tjm86, 06 June, 2015, 11:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Really lovely prog all-round.

Great to see Mike and Colin back in there especially, and I love a Edginton/Disraeli tale.

JudgeOiNK!

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 June, 2015, 06:51:10 PM
Quote from: JudgeOiNK! on 06 June, 2015, 03:06:22 PM
(Oooh, Day of Chaos Mega Collection... tempted, tempted...)

Tempted isn't the word that comes most readily to mind...more like compulsory...even after having recently borrowed the 4th Faction from my local library, and having the Progs relatively to hand.

Yeah, might take a while to get here through Case Files....
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

Pete Wells

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 06 June, 2015, 12:09:01 PM
Do we know what replaces Slaine?

Did I not read that it was Outlier 2 somewhere?

Timothy

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 June, 2015, 06:51:10 PM
Quote from: JudgeOiNK! on 06 June, 2015, 03:06:22 PM
(Oooh, Day of Chaos Mega Collection... tempted, tempted...)

Tempted isn't the word that comes most readily to mind...more like compulsory...even after having recently borrowed the 4th Faction from my local library, and having the Progs relatively to hand.

He's right. I've not got the progs - it was during my great hiatus - but I do already have this on digital. £10 for a spiffy hardback copy of (half of) the most important Dredd story of modern times can't be turned down though.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Pete Wells on 07 June, 2015, 08:10:13 AM

No, that starts next week.

Geoff

Great prog!

Macneil on Dredd and a very promising opener.

Not that familiar with Absolom but like it.

Enjoying the art in Slaine still.

Helium, 10 pages and not a single one wasted - superb stuff.

Roll on next week.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Nice.  Hard to find anything else to say about it, it's just....nice.

Droid Life: One day, I may actually smile at one of these.

Judge Dredd: Good start, look forward to seeing them back in Murphyville!

Absalom: Too early to say.

Slaine: So the exposition express pulls into Explanation station, and Mills continues to grind this out.

Helium: Not a big fan of D'Israeli, so had no expectations to like it.  So far, I am correct.  As pointed out before, it feels very much like a repeat, but worse still, it's a repeat of something I didn't really like the first time round.

Bit of a let down overall really.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

jabish

Disappointed that Absalom didn't get a 'previously in..' Page. We were spoiled on the last jumping on issue and I was hoping it would continue for series that have been away for a while. Big pity.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Pete Wells on 07 June, 2015, 08:10:13 AM

Thanks Pete. Great news that.

Dark Jimbo

Michael Carroll's Dredds have been really quite hit and miss for me, but early as it may be this seems like it'll be a good 'un. Joyce is a great character and it'll be a breath of fresh air to get out of the Meg for a while. We may have had the twin space jaunts of Dark Justice and Titan, but it must be years now since Dredd's gone to another city - it feels like the strip's about to go on holiday for the summer!

Lovely to have Absalom back with us. One of the best new strips of the 2010s. Harry himself can annoy a bit as a character, though - he's got the same line in laboured, long-winded sarcasm as Hannah Chapter from much-missed parent strip Caballistics, and it wasn't very funny back then either.

Yeah... not really enjoyed this Slaine outing. It's just been talk, talk, talk, and worse still it's the same old dialogue on a loop - I could happily never read the words 'Obey like a dead body obeys' ever again.

Helium - the bad. It does read like a laughably self-parodic Edgington script. Written by anyone else I'd be a lot more excited about this than I am; there's just too strong a sense that we've been here before. Agree with Cosh about his dialogue, too - all those contracted 'you' sounds are already starting to grate, and it's only episode one!

Helium - the good. Still, it's a fantastic premise and - best of all - no subtitle! I love getting invested in new ongoing series, but there are too few really good one-and-done serials in Tooth these days. It's an overlooked format that plays particularly well to Edginton's strengths - give him extended serials like Brass Sun and Red Seas and the story starts to meander all over the place before limping to a so-so conclusion; but Kingdom of the Wicked, Leviathan and Scarlet Traces and the other jewels of his crown are all fairly self-contained narratives, so this should be a good 'un. Intrigued by the sidekick character and love D'israeli's 'chunky knitwear' aesthetic, which makes total sense for a high-altitude society.
@jamesfeistdraws

Grant Goggans

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 June, 2015, 07:30:35 PM
Then we get to the story that's a little hard to work out... well its not, but it is. I mean Helium should surely feel like a pastiche of everything that Ian Edginton has done before. So many motifs are there. Surely he and D'Israeli have done all this before, surely this is tired and dull, a well worn path that feels cliche. A greatest hits collection for a band for whom you have all their albums anyway. BUT you know what its bloody brilliant...

My heart did sink at yet another autocratic regime keeping things The Way They Always Are and telling the protagonist not to interfere.  My heart sank so far that it never did rise high enough to call this brilliant, but I am curious what will happen next.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 07 June, 2015, 04:37:29 PM

Slaine: So the exposition express pulls into Explanation station, and Mills continues to grind this out.

Well said...even though I haven't got his one yet  :D

Molch-R

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 June, 2015, 11:22:45 AM
Unusual that a Thrill is carrying over to a jump-on Prog.

Prog 1934 isn't a designated 'jumping on' Prog, it just so happens that most of the stories are new. One of those quirks of scheduling.

robert_ellis

Great great prog - a really fantastic mix! Slaine still baffles me but lovely art & good to have Absalom back

Link Prime

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 06 June, 2015, 09:40:50 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 06 June, 2015, 08:17:58 PM
I've being dying to see the Carroll Droid's take on The Emerald Isle for years, someone put me out of my misery- Spud Guns?

[spoiler].......not as yet![/spoiler]   :lol:

Ah here! Maybe next week!  :D