Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Cheers. Weird, it works fine for me (Linux Mint, Firefox) and goes straight to the article Political West concerned as BRICS offers alternatives which nullify sanctions at infobrics.org.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Should be noted that infobrics .org was reported as having ties to the Russian intelligence services three years ago, when it was apparently publishing covid misinformation.

IndigoPrime

Would appreciate it if this thread could be a news thread and not become a wonky tinfoil hat conspiracy theory links thread. Ta.

The Legendary Shark

:lol:

Okay, I guess this is more like what passes for news around here.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Never a dull moment on Tankie Tuesday.

Colin YNWA

I think the real news here is that Legendary Shark's avatar thing has become the most disturbing thing ever!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 July, 2023, 04:16:03 PMNever a dull moment on Tankie Tuesday.

Think you've mentioned this before and I can't find it on the interweb. Any chance you could explain it to an ageing pre-internet squaxx like me?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 July, 2023, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 July, 2023, 04:16:03 PMNever a dull moment on Tankie Tuesday.

Think you've mentioned this before and I can't find it on the interweb. Any chance you could explain it to an ageing pre-internet squaxx like me?

Tankie Tuesday is just my own localized nonsense thing, as it always seems we get some kind of CCP caliber hogwash from one hack site or the other on a Tuesday; either on this thread or elsewhere.

Funt Solo

Genuine attempt to be helpful: there could be a separate thread - it could be called "Legendary News" - perfect place for the kind of thing that wouldn't seem out of place in the Fortean Times (in terms of credibility).

And, I guess it's unwritten, but the title of this thread could be read as "This is the (mainstream) news". Or, "This is the (accredited) news (written by actual journalists)". Or, "This is the news that two minutes of Googling won't entirely debunk as mostly made up hogwash".

My second paragraph is perhaps less helpful - but was more fun to write.
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

M.I.K.

As a longtime reader of the Fortean Times, I'm afraid I must vehemently disagree, (at least in terms of it being placed in said publication sans commentary regarding its obviously dubious nature).

Funt Solo

Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 July, 2023, 05:16:07 PMAs a longtime reader of the Fortean Times

Even as I was typing that, I was thinking "am I going to have to apologize later"*. Sorry!

*This month: psychic phenomenon on message board investigated.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 July, 2023, 04:31:24 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 July, 2023, 04:27:13 PM

Tankie Tuesday is just my own localized nonsense thing, as it always seems we get some kind of CCP caliber hogwash from one hack site or the other on a Tuesday; either on this thread or elsewhere.

I'm with you now. Thanks for the explanation

The Legendary Shark

There's always the "Truth..?" thread, but that's no barrel of laughs either.

It's probably best if I just give up. I'll leave you to your delusions and you leave me to mine - you'll never convince me to reconsider returning to your perspective and I'll never convince you to accept mine. It's sad, but no reason for bad blood. If you believe nothing else I've ever said then please believe this: I care deeply about all human beings, from the best the worst of us, which entire human family includes every one of you, of course, as we are all beings of incalculable value and potential. Yes, I'm blunt and often clumsy, maybe a little tone-deaf, and I certainly try to be direct and honest to the best of my limited knowledge. And I try to be funny, too, often to a perplexingly unexpected result. I do not see the world as you see it but so what? Despite our superficial differences, I'd lay good odds that we all share the same core values of things like familial and intimate love; senses of justice, decency, and honour. This core is why I point towards things I think are important, and probably why you do too. We're just pointing in different directions, that's all.

If I had one driving ambition behind all my "tinfoil" posts I guess it would be for you to see (or at least consider) that we are all, me included, civilians experiencing an information war, World War i, to coin a phrase. There are many worlds out there in the Infosphere; some for entertainment, some for education, some for politics, each subdivided into spheres of sports or Hollywood or 2000AD or The Open University or FaceTube or the News or banking or economics. Everything is now linked as never before, and it is dazzling. The Usual Suspects know this, and are putting on a show. I don't know why, exactly, but I don't think it's good. Politics, for example, is nothing more to me than a loose collection of global Punch and Judy shows distracting us from real issues. What those real issues are is not for me to decide but I'd suggest our survival and flourishing as a species should be very high on the list. We need to start looking behind the Punch and Judy shows, and fast, and figure out what's wrong with us. We live on a fucking Eden, and we're squabbling over it like children, constantly at one another's throats for one of any million reasons spat at us from the Infosphere; hate conservatives, hate liberals, hate democrats. Hate gays hate Nazis hate men. And their opposites. A ready-made view for all tastes. The most superficial tapestry of lies. Familial and intimate love; senses of justice, decency, and honour. That's the Truth, the rest is not that important. Just love one another, it's as simple as that. Jesus said it, John Lennon, my mate Bill - they all said it. And I get it now.

And so, because I love you all (even those who don't deserve it), I'll shut up.

Longest. Surrender speech. Ever.

I'll concentrate on writing short stories and scripts that don't upset anyone because nobody reads them.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

I have to call fake news on this one:

QuoteAlmost 50 years after dying from an overdose, the folky singer-songwriter Nick Drake is more popular than ever. With a new biography and covers album of his songs out, Neil Armstrong sifts truth from fiction.

I have never heard of Nick Drake until this article. "More popular than ever" - does this mean that not only his relatives, but some of the friends of said relatives now know about him? Any of you lot heard of him?