Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

JAWS... but on the big screen.

The picture! The soundtrack! What a movie.

I googled Jaws 2 after. Did you know that there was talk of it being a prequel, with Quint the main character, and set on the USS Indianopolis? Spielberg was up to direct, but the studio couldn't/ wouldn't wait and so it was rushed out.

Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I took my boys (both pretty grown up by this point) to see JAWS at GFT a few years back. Tiny Tips came out with an entirely new appreciation of a film that he'd only thought of as "Meh!" when viewed on telly.

I'd love to see CE3K on a big screen again.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

Quote from: Tjm86 on 26 July, 2021, 06:23:16 PM
Guilty pleasure?  Come on ... Tommy Lee Jones ... Gary Busey in drag ...

Whatever you do though, don't try Under Siege 2 ...

That gave me nightmares in me much younger years.

Fun fact: the movie was originally supposed to be called Dreadnought, as scripted. Too bad they didn't give it a go with that. It's the coolest name ever conceived!
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

The Gauntlet

Clint Eastwood in his Dirty Harry persona, but imagine Dirty Harry soaked in booze, who gets an assignment to bring a female witness to a testimony trails. The two spend time constantly bickering, much like in buddy cop movies (he's a cop, she's a hooker) and along the way obviously they had to battle mob members, bikers and Eastwood's own crooked colleagues. Not remarkable picture as Dirty Harry, but it does the job. Cheesy, trashy 1970s fun. Curiously, this film is remade in the 2000s as 16 Blocks with Bruce Willis.

The Rookie

Clint Eastwood in his... Well, every cop he played after Dirty Harry is the amalgamation of his iconic character. Here he mentors the young Charlie Sheen (the rookie) as the duo is onto car theft ring, led by a German, for some infamous reason played by Raul Julia. Aside that, Eastwood direction is rather toneless and drab. But, for some reason, I loved this film in my much younger years. I guess it had to do with the Eastwood-Sheen characters they're playing. But like The Gauntlet, the film is cheese, trashy fun. And Eastwood gets raped, which is done in a rather awkward, weird manner. Considering how went female to male rapes in the 1990s (the other one was Ricochet), it's no surprise we haven't had more of these
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

The Sum of All Fears - wins a prize for most boring nuclear explosion in a built-up area. Watch Terminator 2 instead.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

paddykafka

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 July, 2021, 07:29:39 PM
The Sum of All Fears - wins a prize for most boring nuclear explosion in a built-up area. Watch Terminator 2 instead.

Memo to self: Rearrange that title to "The Fear of All Sums"; write a screenplay, in which the main protagonist overcomes horrible school experiences of Mathematics, to become a genius numbers monkey, who saves the planet by solving an equation set by a long-dead alien race who once visited here; sit back and let the cash roll in.  :D

Tiplodocus

Odd COINCIDENCE  we watched CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER last week and it got a good thumbs up.

Possibly the best Jack Ryan film (I think I rate it above Red October but not seen that recently;  certainly no other films come close) if not that accurate adaption but a lot of Clancy reads like extracts from a Weapons catalogue so that isn't a bad thing.

The action is great (the ambush rightly celebrated), the plot scarily believable (except where Ryan steps in at the end) though Ryan's deal with the devil at the end is conveniently absolved. Problems? Yeah. I'm pretty sure that a film about the drug war should focus a lot more on how the cartels impact the locals rather than just middle aged white politicians in another country.

Is it the last decent movie headlined by Harrison Ford?

Funt Solo

The Operative - a rather good spy thriller, co-starring Marting Freeman - and probably his best role since The Office.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Wolves Within

I went in hoping for The Beast Must Die. Unexpectedly, I got Clue.

I really enjoyed it. However, my whole family started watching it - wife and three teen sons - and by the end, I was the only one left. So I guess your mileage may vary.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 July, 2021, 09:17:13 PM
Odd COINCIDENCE  we watched CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER last week and it got a good thumbs up.

Possibly the best Jack Ryan film (I think I rate it above Red October but not seen that recently;  certainly no other films come close) if not that accurate adaption but a lot of Clancy reads like extracts from a Weapons catalogue so that isn't a bad thing.

The action is great (the ambush rightly celebrated), the plot scarily believable (except where Ryan steps in at the end) though Ryan's deal with the devil at the end is conveniently absolved. Problems? Yeah. I'm pretty sure that a film about the drug war should focus a lot more on how the cartels impact the locals rather than just middle aged white politicians in another country.

Is it the last decent movie headlined by Harrison Ford?

Hm... Air Force One came one year afterwards.

Now that you mentioned it, I may need to revisit Patriot Games (never read the novel though).

Hawkmumbler

ANOTHER ROUND

More movies should [spoiler]end with Mads Mikkelsen doing a solo dance number.[/spoiler]

Funt Solo

Midnight Run - if you can get past the 80s guitar synth and everyone chain-smoking in airports, this is a great shaggy dog story about a bounty hunter (De Niro) trying to get his Robin Hood-like target (Charles Grodin) back to LA before time runs out. I love how grimy, downtrodden and lived in the leads are.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

"Hm... Air Force One came one year afterwards."

I did say DECENT movie.

milstar

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 July, 2021, 06:08:01 PM
"Hm... Air Force One came one year afterwards."

I did say DECENT movie.

The coolest action film with US president in the main role.

milstar

The Killing Fields

Sometimes I would stumble across a movie that I feel bad about it. Bad because they were so good I haven't caught them in my much younger years. This is one of it. Bruce Robinson-penned, although narratively it occasionally dips down, this is one of the finest biographical war dramas I ever heard. Nor I did know much about the subject matter. I knew that Paul Pot regime was bad, but not this bad. Also, I like that the movie doesn't try to justify US intervention in Cambodia; in fact, it implies its responsibility for Khmer Rouge movement. The shinest part of the film are not the American journalist trying to cope with the vanishing of his Cambodian translator. For me, it was the translator's struggle to escape the captivity from a Khmer Rouge concentration camp. The moment where he stumbles across a sea of  decomposed corpses nearly brought tears to my eyes. Very harrowing, very startling.