Main Menu

Steve Brown: Games designer and Dredd artist?

Started by Tiplodocus, 07 February, 2011, 12:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Flicking through Edge the other night, I came across a picture of 80s "Page 3 Stunna" Maria Whittaker* in an article about the game Barbarian. (I believe her being on the cover and the violence were it's main selling points).

Anyway, the chap what wrote the game**, Steve Brown, also appears to have been a Dredd artist; or so it says in the article.  I don't recall the name - anybody else?

* She's quite pretty if you can get beyond that melon-breasted dwarf look that was the fashion in the 80s. (I was a Kathy Lloyd fan myself).

** For you younger readers, back in the seventies and eighties you could design, write, test, publish and distribute a game on your own. The internet was known as C60 cassette tapes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

I've interviewed Steve a couple of times for Retro Gamer. I don't recall him ever mentioning working for 2000 AD though.

radiator

This from Barney:

Judge Dredd
The Hottie House Siege 1 episode (Meg 2.31) 9 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Steve Brown

Buddy

Maria Whittaker.... now there's a blast from the past.

I always liked Linda Lusardi myself.......

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Keef Monkey

In other trivia, that dude holding the sword went on to be Wolf in Gladiators.

SmallBlueThing

And in other trivia, long-time youthful tits-oot favourite lindsay dawn mackenzie, she who was famously 'just 16' when she wopped out her tremendous gnorks in the very same paper that was decrying 'paedos' a few pages on, turned up on one of the babestation channels the other night, as i was having a desperate flick down the bum-end of the digibox. Not as a 'star', just as one of the normal writhing 'lovelies'. It says much about me that i gave a little cheer.
She hasn't drawn dredd though, to my knowledge.
SBT

JOE SOAP

I, Cosh

I liked the little goblin who kicked the severed head of your vanquished foe off the screen.
We never really die.

Mudcrab

Brilliant game!!! I remember it well, no fighting game has ever come close to the head severing move. Loved the goblin too!

Don't remember the cover though  :lol:
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

IndigoPrime

Steve Brown, hard at work on the Barbarian cover photoshoot.

flip-r mk2

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

IndigoPrime

I'd be surprised if that's the same Steve Brown—doesn't look much like his art style.

Radbacker

QuoteI've interviewed Steve a couple of times for Retro Gamer. I don't recall him ever mentioning working for 2000 AD though.

Ooh my favorite computer game mag these days had no idea you were a contributor Indigo, whats your favorite old machine?.  One of the only mags i read from cover to cover these days, quality writting and just enough of that 80's vibe to make it feel like i'm a kid again dreaming of all these exotic machines we didn't have in oz. (the good old CPC464 was over $1000 IIRC and the C64 $699 or $799 the Spectrum was never available that i can remember, I had an imported Tandy Colour Computer 1 with 64k extended RAM, disk drive and the works but as it was US my colour was always shitted on the screen i still loved it though).

CU Radbcker

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Radbacker on 08 February, 2011, 03:15:10 AMOoh my favorite computer game mag these days had no idea you were a contributor Indigo
Since issue 19, and almost every issue after that. I did the Civ 2 and Deathchase pieces in the current issue, and Jr. Pac-Man the month before.

Quotewhats your favorite old machine?
Old arcade games (pre-1984), swiftly followed by the C64.

QuoteOne of the only mags i read from cover to cover these days, quality writting and just enough of that 80's vibe to make it feel like i'm a kid again dreaming of all these exotic machines we didn't have in oz.
Well, one thing Retro Gamer certainly has is a lot of original editorial content. Most games mags are reviews, news and PR dressed as features. I'm not sure there's another videogaming publication currently in existence with as much proper investigative journalism as Retro Gamer.