Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, that was fun. The nerd in me is fascinated by the older versions of earlier incarnations. Was their appearance due to a feature of the psycho-holographic-spacetime-magic hologram, designed to present an older version to be more comforting to the older ex-companion? That works but I don't like it. I prefer to think that all that excess energy that bleeds out during a regeneration coalesces into an exact copy of the regenerating body, so that the Doctor gets one last life each regeneration, into a body that ages and eventually dies without regenerating: little side-shoots in time ripe for new adventures. Last of the Summer Time Lords? The remaining Doctors go on adventures, building frictionless sleds to win the local hill-sledding trophy or inviting the Vicar to tea at what transpires to be a most awkward moment or trying to get off with various disinterested characters.

[spoiler]I don't think that last regeneration was a "proper" regeneration. I reckon the regeneration was interrupted so that Meladdo could interact with his own future without interacting with his own future. This is no doubt an incredibly dangerous and ill-advised, probably even Absolutely Forbidden by the Universe herself, course of action taken as a desperate last-ditch attempt to stop some Ultimate Level Uberbaddie from screwing everything up.[/spoiler]
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

Last episode of House of the Dragon made the whole series worthwhile!

Jim_Campbell

Just watched the first episode of The Peripheral on Prime. It's very William Gibson, in a good way. Dense, imaginative, exciting. As with much of Gibson's work, it just drops you in at the deep end, with mountains of implied history and backstory, and expects you to get on with it, which is both bewildering and rather exhilarating.

I'm actually reading the book at the moment and now I don't know whether to stop reading the book so I can enjoy the series, or hold off on the series until I've finished the book (which is also excellent)...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 25 October, 2022, 08:20:52 PM

I thought the penultimate episode was excellent as well. I particularly enjoyed the fact that (albeit briefly) we got to see some non-toffs and the hint of underlying class tensions is something I hope we'll see develop in Season 2.

Hawkmumbler

CHAINSAW MAN is three episodes deep and the best show of the year, nearest contender not even making it close. The original comic was an all timer, the fact the show has elevated that material to levels otherwise inconceivable is nothing short of a miracle.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 October, 2022, 09:29:26 PM
Quote from: Richard on 25 October, 2022, 08:20:52 PM

I thought the penultimate episode was excellent as well. I particularly enjoyed the fact that (albeit briefly) we got to see some non-toffs and the hint of underlying class tensions is something I hope we'll see develop in Season 2.

This is one of this shows biggest weaknesses compared to its predecessor. One of my favourite aspects of Game of Thrones was the Odd Couples on a Road Trip through the Westerosi countryside, where we would see the trickle down tyranny of the landed gentry.

Speaking of trickle down tyranny, Andor's latest episode showed a good example.  I'm loving that the Imperial top brass are not moustache twirlers, but cold bureaucrats with a heartless academic approach that tries to solve statistics with quotas.

Anyway, I just finished the fabulous Bad Sisters. It does that tiresome in media res thing TV shows think is clever nowadays, but I forgive it for the great dark humour. And "the prick" might just be the most awful, horrifying villain in any TV show ever. He makes Joffrey Baratheon look charming.
You may quote me on that.

wedgeski

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 October, 2022, 07:39:49 PM
[spoiler]I don't think that last regeneration was a "proper" regeneration. I reckon the regeneration was interrupted so that Meladdo could interact with his own future without interacting with his own future. This is no doubt an incredibly dangerous and ill-advised, probably even Absolutely Forbidden by the Universe herself, course of action taken as a desperate last-ditch attempt to stop some Ultimate Level Uberbaddie from screwing everything up.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I like that theory![/spoiler]

Link Prime

Quote from: M.I.K. on 18 December, 2021, 10:45:10 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 December, 2021, 09:13:54 AM
The rather brilliant 1977 Ghost Story for Christmas episode STIGMA is on Iplayer after being rebroadcast last week on BBC 4.
Probably the best the annual anthology ever got and probably one of the most inexplicably upsetting horror stories ever made for TV. Exactly the type of creepy seasonal viewing I feel is missing from the Christmas listings each year right now.

Except for the new Ghost Story for Christmas episode this year, the one in 2019 and the one in 2018?*

Thanks for bringing my attention to the Stigma repeat, though. Didn't know it was on.

*(Also 'new' episodes in 2005, 2006, 2010 and 2013 for those keeping count.)

The BFI have finally released the most recent quartet on DVD - available right now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Stories-DVD-Simon-Callow/dp/B0BH96XZ72/ref=sr_1_2?crid=285OPA53U2453&keywords=ghost+stories+dvd&qid=1666793740&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjc5IiwicXNhIjoiMi43MyIsInFzcCI6IjIuNjYifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=ghost+stories%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-2

A few of the originals will also be available on Blu-Ray in time for Christmas:

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/ghost-stories-for-christmas-volume-one-blu-ray.html

Radbacker

Any one watching the new Quantum Leap, no a reboot an actual continuation of the original and so far (5 episodes) it's been pretty decent if you were a fan of the original series.  Even though Hough he said he is not going to be in it the way it is going and the general premise of it I think we may get a bit of Sam later this season.  Kind of refreshing having each episode it's own thing that can just be watched stand alone though there is an overall arc it doesn't take up too much of the episodes run time.  New main character Ben is pretty good but I do miss the "oh boy" when he realises his situation after each leap.  Hope it gets another season.

CU Radbacker

Jim_Campbell

Three episodes into The Peripheral on Prime, and it continues to be both excellent, and unmistakably Gibson.

Slightly baffled by the decision to [spoiler]make Charlotte Riley, an English actor, sport a borderline Dick Van Dyke accent as the character of Aelita[/spoiler] which is slightly distracting, but otherwise a great-looking, well-acted, densely-plotted chunk of smart SF.

The Legendary Shark

Just finished the latest series of Pennyworth. I think it's a cracking little show with some solid performances, not least from Paloma Faith, and Batmanshit-crazy plotlines.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

The fact THE KINGDOM: EXODUS exists in and of itself is a miracle, the fact its every bit as good as the first two seasons is unexpected and a delight. Von Trier has just completely slipped back into the groove of this weird, Kafkaesque world three decades since he last graced it. Splendid TV.

Jim_Campbell

Well, the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special is sentimental twaddle. But it's also really quite sweet, and very funny. I kind of wish we'd saved it for the festive period, but it's a great way to fill 45 minutes on a cold November (or December) evening.

Jim_Campbell

Caught the first episode of Wednesday on Netflix last night. It's great. The cast are all fantastic, Jenna Ortega in the title role especially, with a sharp, witty script to get their teeth into. Tim Burton's direction is surprisingly restrained and light on the various stylistic tics that can make his work tiresome.

Very much looking forward to the remaining episodes.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 November, 2022, 09:42:13 PM
Well, the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special is sentimental twaddle. But it's also really quite sweet, and very funny. I kind of wish we'd saved it for the festive period, but it's a great way to fill 45 minutes on a cold November (or December) evening.

It was really fun and funny and just... nice. But I think it should have been released on Christmas Day.