Main Menu

A circle around Pat Mills' characters

Started by Wake, 22 January, 2003, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiggyMitchell

Jedi was a proper movie adaptation, Gordon, in that it was the entire plot of the movie written as a kids novel. Thank you for your help though, I appreciate your interest. The other titles tied in to the series are spin off books about star wars telling the story of the individual characters as they progressed through the three movies, so they were 'novels' for young kids about Skywalker etc.

Anyway, I have to work and don't need to defend my back catalogue. Thanks.

Artificial Idiot

You know, I think I used to have one of those Star Wars funfax things years ago...

God, funfax, that brings back memories. Books designed for the sole purpose of tearing pages out and saving the ones you like best... Still not as satisfying as taking a pair of scissors and a roll of sticky tape to a book, mind. (Not that I do that anymore...)

Buttonman

Heartless bastards. Steve/Steven has been good enough to endulge our fanboy sniping and even responded to frankly disrespectful suggestions about his work, ethics,street gang and even appearance. Let's call a halt and embrace him to our community, sad as it is.

On an unrelated note has anyone ever seen an Amazons sales rank higher than this:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,794,771

I didn't think there were that many things in the world! Only just behind a pamphlet on molesting badgers.

Art

I dunno, I reckon we could take his street gang in a stand up fight.

GordonR

Bah.  The Caballistics collection isn't listed yet on Amazon.com, so it's off to good old blighty-centric co.uk we go.

Hmmm - what have we here?

Item A.  Released 27 February 2006.  Sales rank: 58,344

Item B.  Released 28 February.  Sales rank: 15,079

How can this be possible?  Item B author doesn't have a website, an obsidian throne, or a Street Team, or anything!

Wow.  Sending my mum round every bookshop in Glasgow to falsly order all those extra copies sh'll never pick up musta really paid off!

PiggyMitchell

Buttoman - thank you, I appreciate it.

Gordon - sorry I seem to have offended you so deeply somewhere along the line. Nothing else I can add to that.

I, Cosh

How can this be possible? Item B author doesn't have a website, an obsidian throne, or a Street Team, or anything!

I think you'd look more menacing on your porcelain throne. Or don't you have one of those either?
We never really die.

PiggyMitchell

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,794,771

That's what you get when it's 9 years out of print. I'm not even sure Amazon functioned as a book buying outlet when it was released. I remember it being available on a place called bookshop.com where you could buy US and UK books - but that place has long gone...

Now, if it can break 4,000,000 will be impressive - maybe another 6 months to a year...

Matt Timson

Oh my God- it's finally happened.  I've lost my edge.  I don't know who to laugh at or with.  My fearsome reign is over- I'm ruined!

RUINED!
Pffft...

Wils

Obviously, changing your icon and username has had the knock-on effect of you losing your cuntish mojo. ;)

Funt Solo

Yes, child, there did once exist a three year old thread, with two titles, that didst start with a discussion of The Mills, and his Circle of Protection +5, +10 vs. Fanzines.

And, neareth the end, didst come the Wampyr Rwiter on his Throne of Obsidian, his hordes of Wampyric Street Teamers doing sore battle with the denizens of the Board o' Doom!

And lo!  Rennie, champion of Mills (for it was he) didst take up arms and do battle with the usurper upon the plains of Jeboleth!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GordonR

Come off it, matt.  The only dilemma here is whether to laugh or cry...

...cry with laughter, that is.

Leigh S

So it's just me who finds this all mockery a bit distasteful?  

Sure, I'd rather read about Slaines early adventures from Pat Mills - anything else, no matter how well done, just isn't going to have anything like the weight that the original author can bring. Sure, Steves site is Marenghi-tastic, but since when has working on licenced products or self pimping been a crime - if that was the case, there's a few droids here who are just as guilty of using the web to their advantage in any nubmer of subtle and not so subtle ways.  Maybe there's something else beyond what's transpired in this thread that's behind the hostility, but whatever the cause, do we really need it on the board?  

Dudley

The tone does seem to have shifted somewhat.

Mr Savile does seem to be a decent chap unafraid to laugh at himself.  Maybe on the Black Flame board he's an arrogant cnut, but based on the evidence so far I'm glad he's posting here.

Matt Timson

Pffft...