Main Menu

Edinburgh boarders: Where to watch Hogmanay fireworks?

Started by Tiplodocus, 29 December, 2013, 10:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Mrs Tips fancies coming through to Edinburgh to see the fireworks (all five minutes of them) at Hogmanay.

Needless to say we don't have tickets for the big bash but can anyone recommend a good vantage point to see the fireworks? We'll have Tiny Tips (actually now 13) with us so needs to be family friendly.

Really odd that there appears to be NOTHING on in the West. George Square shuts down at 10pm!

(As if the fireworks I provide on a regular basis aren't good enough. Mind you, they normally don't last for five minutes).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

GordonR

Calton Hill - just off the east end of Princes Street, with an uninterrupted view of the silly lights in the sky phenomenon, but also just outside the closed-off party celebrations area of the city centre.

It's also the only night of the year when it's safe to go up there without the threat of being mugged or gay-propositioned by cottaging bush-lurkers.

Tiplodocus

Thanks.  Though if it doesn't stop raining (must be 18 hours straight now) I doubt we'll be going anywhere.

GordonR

Yes, I think there's a fair chance this might be one of the years when weather sees the Edinburgh Hogmanay thing cancelled......which always warms the cold, stony depths of my misanthropic heart. 

All those bleating tourists, travelling to Edinburgh from all over the world and surprised that the weather might be a bit shit in a Northern European country in the middle of winter...

Dandontdare

Proudhuff

GReenie spot on as usual, however Inverleith Park also has some nice spots and you can escape from their a bit easier...
DDT did a job on me

Bat King

This thread has me sniggering...

I'm up in Scotland on the 2nd for a Wedding on the 3rd - on Best Man duty. Shame we couldn't fit this in first (I have to work on the 2nd...)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Ghost MacRoth

The best place to watch anything happening in Edinburgh....is on the telly.  That way, you don't have to put up with the locals. :D

But honestly....Arthur's seat for the daring, or Calton Hill/ New Parliament House for those who prefer to play sade....ish. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

GordonR

Well, he could always attend Glasgow's official Hogmanay celebrations in George Square.....which ends at 10pm, because the Buckfast Brigade can't be trusteed out on the streets at the bells.

Now that's how you celebrate the start if the year when the Commonwealth Games come to your city...

Ghost MacRoth

Dear god no, not George's Square!!!  There's few worse places to be than Princes Street at new year, but even I must admit that the square is one of them.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

I, Cosh

It was a lot better when you just hung around the Tron and tried to snog as many people as you could without any cares for tickets or hypothermia or getting home.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

That was my idea but Mrs Tips was against it for some reason.

I was actually looking for a night in consuming wine and games and films but no, we have to *do* something.

Proudhuff

Did the feral beasts that live on the hill get you tips?
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

We were up on Calton Hill so could see the fireworks at the castle and the ones going off right next to us. Quite impressive.

The best bit was that it stayed dry and Tiny Tips reactions to walking back through a town full of drunks revellers.