Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

No worries! I didn't realise you'd been playing 4th edition on the Switch so obviously ignore all that stuff about 2nd edition, sorry!
I'd never heard of Star Wars Talisman and it looks like there's a few different editions of Talisman now.

My mate also said Dungeon is not bad, but he'd suggest you start with those others ones and don't add on too much too fast.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 July, 2021, 11:29:46 AM
No worries! I didn't realise you'd been playing 4th edition on the Switch so obviously ignore all that stuff about 2nd edition, sorry!

To be honest I'm not sure I'm playing 4th Ed on Switch - we watched an unboxing ... the ahem... boy child likes that kinda thing and that suggests it might not??? be 4th ed. That has light and dark fate????

Barrington Boots

I haven't played it but it looks like 4th ed from the art - and it's definitely not 2nd or the risible 3rd edition. Perhaps it's some kind of Switch-hybrid?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 July, 2021, 01:16:13 PM
I haven't played it but it looks like 4th ed from the art - and it's definitely not 2nd or the risible 3rd edition. Perhaps it's some kind of Switch-hybrid?

Maybe - overall though its damned fun!

Colin YNWA

Couple of new board games brought for the boy child this birthday and both a triumph.

Firstly 'Scotland Yard' from Ravenburger. I mean this is a well known game (I guess) seen it advertised on the telly and everything, but never actually played it. Its immense fun and really effective in creating drama and tension from a pretty simple game mechanic.

Secondly Talisman - Legendary Tales despite the boy liking Talisman on the Switch we decided to go for this striped down verison physically as its simpler and fit better into our available playing time. Very glad we did, as I say striped down, but its a very different beast. Fast moving and really fun with a nice fresh nechanic that keeps things moving and simulates the growth in the original, though with a nice way to mean as you get better the game gets harder. Only draw back quite a bit of set up, but once you are in this one seems great fun.

wedgeski

Currently, we can't get enough of Legendary Encounters (the Alien deck building game), which accomplishes the amazing feat of telling a coherent story inside a deck-builder, and Flamme Rouge, the "tactical bicycle racing" game. The first time we played it, I had an awful experience, but having given it another go, it's one of the best games I've played in years.

We're also trying really hard to finish Pandemic Legacy Season 1 (yes, you read that right!). Lockdown hit in the middle of our run, and coupled with the fact that the game kicked our asses for the first few months, we haven't exactly been eager to get back into it. But we've managed a couple of sessions and have only 1 or 2 games to go. It often leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and I'm disappointed our experience was undermined by so much bad luck (and one or two significant rules errors on our part), but there can be no denying its design brilliance.

But over 2021 Quacks of Queddlingburgh with the Hedge Witches expansion takes the prize for most loved game. If your teeth can handle the grinding when you hit that unlucky streak, it's just about perfect.

CalHab

The game group I'm in has been trying This War of Mine recently. It's an interesting concept, a cooperative game about the survival of a group of civilians during a civil war. It's based on a computer game I haven't played.

The board game has many aspects borrowed from role playing. We've managed to fail spectacularly, but still enjoy the experience, which is a good sign. My biggest criticism would be that the narratives are sometimes very clunky and jarring.

Not something I'd buy, but worth playing.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 December, 2021, 09:13:20 AM
Currently, we can't get enough of Legendary Encounters (the Alien deck building game), which accomplishes the amazing feat of telling a coherent story inside a deck-builder

I love this game for that exact reason. Each scenario is very different and actually feels very close to the films.
Have you played LE: Predator? It's not quite as good, but similar. It makes up for only two scenarios but allowing you to replay them both as a Predator which is fun but annoying when the humans kick your ass.
You can also combine the two for an AvP game, which I haven't got round to yet...

I've been playing a bit of Aliens: Bughunt which is a fun game at a low pricepoint.

wedgeski

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 10 December, 2021, 11:33:19 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 07 December, 2021, 09:13:20 AM
Currently, we can't get enough of Legendary Encounters (the Alien deck building game), which accomplishes the amazing feat of telling a coherent story inside a deck-builder

I love this game for that exact reason. Each scenario is very different and actually feels very close to the films.
Have you played LE: Predator? It's not quite as good, but similar. It makes up for only two scenarios but allowing you to replay them both as a Predator which is fun but annoying when the humans kick your ass.
You can also combine the two for an AvP game, which I haven't got round to yet...

I've been playing a bit of Aliens: Bughunt which is a fun game at a low pricepoint.
Ive also played the Firefly and Marvel versions, but not the Predator one. None of the others that I've played are as good as Alien (I have such affinity for the source material, I just assumed it was me). I'll take another look. Bughunt is already on The List. :)