Main Menu

Anybody used Music Magpie?

Started by Tiplodocus, 10 March, 2014, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Having a bit of a declutter and have some DVDs to get shot of.

I could ebay them etc but that sounds like hardcwork and time. I think I would generally prefer to use something like MM if it is as easy as It sounds.

So is it? And is the drawback just that you get about a third of what you would if you did it yourself?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trout

Yup. Right on all counts.

I used Magpie to get rid of tons of stuff before I left the UK and I can recommend it. Yes, I could have made more money by ebaying stuff, or taking it to the right place to sell it, but to hell with that. Who has time to list loads of crap on eBay?

Music Magpie is really easy and, crucially, you know what you're getting. They get a bargain but you get guaranteed, hassle-free money. They even send a courier for bigger amounts. I didn't even need to leave the house.

Good luck!

sheldipez

I used it to clear out a big box of old cd's and DVD's that weren't selling at bottom rate 99p prices on ebay. Seems like it was a flat rate 30p per CD. Certainly was easier than ebay (which I've used a lot; "there's a 1mm crease on this book on page 78!" or after a winning bid "the postage is too high!").

I've heard stories of them marking stuff down for damage when they were shipped out spotless, something to keep in mind.

Recrewt

No, but I have used Cex and they were quite good.  Especially if you just trade against other items.

The thing with DVDs is that a lot of them are not worth much anymore.  Blu-Ray put the cosh on them so unless it is something unusual or perhaps TV e.g. Doctor Who, then don't expect to get much whichever option you choose.   

Tiplodocus

I'm putting my VHS straight into the bin. Even Charity Shops don't want them.  (Except a couple of Limited Edition Bond boxes I have where it's the extra crap that is worth something not the actual cassette).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do my first bunch this weekend and put any money earned to either my birthday telly (hoping for 50" 3d smart) or shipping my little sister off to Oz.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 March, 2014, 12:13:25 PM
I'm putting my VHS straight into the bin. Even Charity Shops don't want them.  (Except a couple of Limited Edition Bond boxes I have where it's the extra crap that is worth something not the actual cassette).
The Oxfam book/record shop in Victoria Road does a roaring trade in VHS. All the other charity places round about pass them on to there and they have a dedicated hardcore of customers looking for them.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 March, 2014, 12:18:49 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 March, 2014, 12:13:25 PM
The Oxfam book/record shop in Victoria Road does a roaring trade in VHS. All the other charity places round about pass them on to there and they have a dedicated hardcore of customers looking for them.

Nice tip. I hate throwing stuff out.

Tiplodocus

Well the first few bar codes I typed in were pretty disconcerting; 30 and 25p but some others bumped the orice up a bit. The winners were, unbelievably, Super Mario Bros Movie at £3 and the first Pokemon movie at £2.50. Who would have thought?

The whole first batch of DVDs will have netted abour £25. Not bad for half an hour in front of the telly.