Main Menu

World famous - in a room

Started by Tiplodocus, 18 March, 2014, 01:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I think I just saw comic writer Mark Millar strolling happilly down Sauchiehall Street.

I thought it must be nice to be world famous - but only in a room at a Con or to a select group of people.

(I know the flaw here is in assuming that the ratio of nutters to normal people among comic fans is the same as among the general public).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buttonman

Despite winning 'Weakest Link' and being on two rounds of BBC Scotland's 'First Class' and having the most letters printed in the history of Tharg's publications I've never been recognized in public. Once a man asked me if I was deputy leader of Liverpool council Derek Hatton but I wasn't. Why Derek Hatton would be sitting alone on a 39 bus going to Stepps wasn't explored.

Colin Zeal

I saw comedian Stewart Lee in a north London park on Sunday. And I once saw a guy who I'm 99% sure was Adam Ant while walking down Brick Lane. Sadly he wasn't dressed as a dandy highwayman for the final confirmation of this.

Recrewt

Ha! On the odd occassion that I do see a 'famous' person I normally look at them and then think to myself "I know that person.  Where do I know them from?" and start going through all my friends, family and co-workers until I eventually realise that they are off the telly and such.  Of course, by that time they are long gone. 

Unfortunately I seem to have the same thought process and reaction times as Homer Simpson.

pauljholden

When I used to go to cons while working in IT, I used to refer to it as being "weekend-famous". It's great fun and cool to be asked to sign things and then go back in to a day job where no-one gives a hoot about you...

-pj

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pauljholden on 18 March, 2014, 02:10:16 PM
When I used to go to cons while working in IT, I used to refer to it as being "weekend-famous". It's great fun and cool to be asked to sign things and then go back in to a day job where no-one gives a hoot about you...

-pj

Well I get one half of that... dammit its not the good half is it...

shaolin_monkey

I was on telly every Saturday night on primetime BBC1 for four weeks in a row about 9 years ago.  The only person who ever recognised me was the guy who ran our local chip shop.  I'm quite glad of that...

Satanist

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 March, 2014, 02:46:32 PM
I was on telly every Saturday night on primetime BBC1 for four weeks in a row about 9 years ago.  The only person who ever recognised me was the guy who ran our local chip shop.  I'm quite glad of that...

...because it was Crimewatch.

I saw Billy Connelly in the street last year but didnt ask why he isnt funny any more.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Hawkmumbler

In secondary school Iwas often asked if I was related to Stephen Hawking. Which wasn't even funny because my surname is Hawkins. Wankers.

Recrewt

Quote from: Satanist on 18 March, 2014, 03:00:48 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 March, 2014, 02:46:32 PM

...because it was Crimewatch.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Professor Bear

Quote from: Satanist on 18 March, 2014, 03:00:48 PMI saw Billy Connelly in the street last year but didnt ask why he isnt funny any more.

Because he has Parkinson's.

Trout

I'm secretly that muppet from Farscape but nobody ever recognises me.

O Lucky Stevie!

That's because nobody ever watched it.

Back on topic, Stevie stood next to Attila Csihar in the jacks last week. Does that count?

At the end of the day the thread instigator is the ultimate winner. But not for the reason stated in the original post.

But for this instead.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 19 March, 2014, 08:03:09 AM
That's because nobody ever watched it.

Back on topic, Stevie stood next to Attila Csihar in the jacks last week. Does that count?

At the end of the day the thread instigator is the ultimate winner. But not for the reason stated in the original post.

But for this instead.

Heh. Tips' story is one I tell regularly for the vicarious thrill.
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: Trout on 19 March, 2014, 01:47:39 AM
I'm secretly that muppet from Farscape but nobody ever recognises me.

Really?  'Cos I've often hear you referred to as 'that complete muppet'.

;)