Main Menu

Tolkien's BEOWULF

Started by Tiplodocus, 28 March, 2014, 02:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/22/jrr-tolkien-translation-beowulf-monsters

Thinking back, I really liked the film adaption from x years ago (uncanny valley and slowness of some movement aside). I thought it was full of wit*, adventure, sexiness, thrills and was a great way of bringing a classic text to life for a modern audience.

Tolkien and his archaic language and love of myth seems like a good match for this as well.

* Though I'm still not sure the hilarious penile obscurement during the main fight with Grendel was deliberately funny or not.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 March, 2014, 02:00:04 PM
Tolkien and his archaic language and love of myth seems like a good match for this as well.

Beowulf represents something like 1/3 of the total Anglo-Saxon writing known to exist — when I studied it at university, Tolkien's 'Anglo-Saxon Primer' was the required reading for tackling the poem in its original language.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 March, 2014, 02:40:34 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 March, 2014, 02:00:04 PM

Beowulf represents something like 1/3 of the total Anglo-Saxon writing known to exist — when I studied it at university, Tolkien's 'Anglo-Saxon Primer' was the required reading for tackling the poem in its original language.

Cheers

Jim

Would this be of interest (and engaging) to an amateur, Jim? Meaning, I'm very interested in all things Anglo-Saxon and all things Tolkien - so would seeking out a copy of this be worth my while?

I certainly plan to get my hands on Tolkien's translation of Beowulf.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 28 March, 2014, 02:46:09 PM
Would this be of interest (and engaging) to an amateur, Jim? Meaning, I'm very interested in all things Anglo-Saxon and all things Tolkien - so would seeking out a copy of this be worth my while?

Unless you're planning on tackling Anglo-Saxon writing in its original text, probably not. It's certainly not particularly readable unless you have a chunk of untranslated Anglo-Saxon to hand...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

I like Tolkien as much as the next man, and his scholarship and feel for the material is unquestionable, but if you want to enjoy Beowulf for heaven's sake stick with Heaney - it's made to be read/listened to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaB0trCztM0

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 March, 2014, 04:02:06 PM
I like Tolkien as much as the next man, and his scholarship and feel for the material is unquestionable, but if you want to enjoy Beowulf for heaven's sake stick with Heaney - it's made to be read/listened to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaB0trCztM0

I've read Heaney's translater possibly four times - I love it. I'm interested in what Tolkien brings to it.

Thanks for the tip, Jim.

von Boom

I'm looking forward to it. I wonder how it will compare to Klaeber's.