Main Menu

Prog 2216 - High Noon!

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 January, 2021, 04:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: HeidTheBaw on 30 January, 2021, 11:29:34 AM
I expected to come on here and read gushing praise about Manco's next level art, and instead read comments that the strips are too complicated??

After five(?) weeks, I think people have just run out of superlatives. How many times can you say that Slaine has amazing art in a new and interesting way...?
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

...And not a bottom of the barrel shallow Skip Chaser,  McConville, Wyatt, or awful Di Campi strip in sight to stink the prog out.

With this regened crap gradually slipping it's way into the prog, there's a real danger of heading back to the 90s

Jesus.

Tough crowd.   :P

broodblik

You won't appreciate what you've got until it's gone. With this regened crap gradually slipping it's way into the prog, there's a real danger of heading back to the 90s

I cannot see that that will happen especially with all the strong "new" titles that were published in the last few years:

The Out, Feral & Foe, Proteus Vex, The Daiboliks, Full Title Boogie (personally this was something new and quite different and very enjoyable, definitely want more of this), Hook Jaw (a great revival off the classic), Kingmaker, Thistlebone, Hope, Brink, Deadworld, The Order, Grey Area, Scarlett Traces, Fiends (this is also a great revival of the original)

The regen prog will be here for the foreseeable future. Our old hats just need to adopt and go with the program. Too be honest I enjoyed the last few and it might give us some new stuff as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

I really enjoyed FTB and I'm looking forward to reading it in a single sitting in the collection.

Colin YNWA

Yep Full Tilt Boogie is a winner and i'm looking forward to more regened this year. On the basis that after a stuttering start Jargo has built up a great fleet of strips with things like Department K and Pandora Perfect and this means we could have a steader line up with the quality already tested with any luck.

Embrace the new and different its what 2000ad has always done and asked of its readers.

GordonR

"I can't believe people are slagging off stuff I really like."

/prroceeds to slag off stuff that other people must surely really like

Classic stuff.

BPP

Am I the only one who thinks the art here https://2000ad.com/news/behind-the-art-will-simpsons-desperadlands/ looks much better than it appeared in print?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

Ahh, that's interesting! Not least because it's exactly how it looks in my digital copy. Is there any indication that the like/don't like reactions are split along digital/print reader lines?

Andrew_J

Quote from: BPP on 31 January, 2021, 04:01:28 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the art here https://2000ad.com/news/behind-the-art-will-simpsons-desperadlands/ looks much better than it appeared in print?

I have to agree. I am one of those who enjoyed the Dredd Desperadlands story and praised Will Simpson's chaotically fun art over the past couple of weeks, but the pencil sketches are better than the finished work. I'd loved to have seen this strip inked by Will rather than painted. I shows clearly why he's one of the top storyboard artists in the business.

Durham Red is developing nicely. More layers of intrigue added. Good story. Lovely artwork.

Proteus Vex is still #1 for me at the moment. A nice mix of exposition and action.

I'm really digging Hershey at last. Simon Fraser's art is lovely and the story has come to life for me.

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Prog 2216

Hard to split the top 3 but:

1st - Hershey - Simon Fraser's art style and colours seals 1st place
2nd - Proteus Vex - Like DR below, heaps of action and more to come in 2217
3rd - Durham Red - Action aplenty set up for more action next prog

Also a Letters page which I always enjoy in the prog  :)

Beaker

Quote from: moly on 24 January, 2021, 02:19:01 PM
Will Simpson art has beat me, first time in 40 plus years that I've skipped this weeks judge dread strip, the cover is lovely but think he should stick to doing covers

Agreed. I'm binging on issues built up since Christmas and this is the first time I've skipped Dredd too. Just awful art...amateur even.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'