Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 July, 2022, 01:54:24 PM
I have never read 'Finn' and know next to nothing about it. Could someone knowledgeable recommend or otherwise? If my fellow Squaxx deem it a worthwhile purchase, I will go for the Webshop exclusive hardcover.

The first ten pages are here -

https://2000ad.com/news/pre-order-the-new-finn-origins-collection/
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

You 100% don't have to have read or even heard of Third World War to enjoy a Finn collection. I'm in the 'totally recommend' camp. It's not as great as early Sláine or Nemesis, and definitely trades on ideas Mills had already used in those stories (the Earth goddess and weird veneration of women mixed with misogyny is right out of Slaine, and the 'opposite sides in a secret war who are both kinda evil' is very Nemesis) but it's plenty fun. Mostly, the character design of the hero in his mask is too cool to ignore, and Mills knows how to script a story so there are lots of great poses.

IndigoPrime

It's clearly a Marmite strip. At the time, I wasn't a huge fan. When I revisited it, Finn just felt icky. It's not just the misogyny. There are other representations within the strip that now feel troubling to me. And more broadly, it felt like a modern-day knock-off of something Mills was doing better elsewhere. The mask design is good, mind.

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 July, 2022, 09:54:27 AM
It's clearly a Marmite strip.

What is wrong with Marmite, I like both and will purchase both
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

nxylas

Quote from: AlexF on 28 July, 2022, 09:38:26 AM
You 100% don't have to have read or even heard of Third World War to enjoy a Finn collection.
No, but if you disliked Third World War for being "too political" or whatever, you probably won't enjoy Finn.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

robprosser

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 July, 2022, 11:26:23 AM
I would say 'Slaine mashed into Icke – Origins' getting HC treatment might finally make Mills stop complaining, but given that every single scrap of it hasn't yet been reprinted, it probably won't.
Giving him full ownership of all his 2000ad characters along with a grovelling apology, a million pound bonus and a statement etched on a solid gold plate stating the Pat was right about everything all along wouldn't make him happy

nxylas

Quote from: robprosser on 28 July, 2022, 12:24:52 PM
Giving him full ownership of all his 2000ad characters along with a grovelling apology, a million pound bonus and a statement etched on a solid gold plate stating the Pat was right about everything all along wouldn't make him happy
Probably true, but if he wasn't so angry all the time, could he have created something as great as Nemesis the Warlock or Marshal Law or Charley's War? That's a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the answer.

The Monarch

i wonder where THAT pat is now cause I do not see the ghoul pimping nfts of his book as being the same guy as the one who wrote nemesis

but yeah honestly not a fan of finn

Richard

I like the first two books of Finn. The art was fabulous and the stories were fun. (They were reprinted in the floppies with Megs 329 and 361.)

I remember not enjoying the later stories, but I can't remember why, nor do I recall the stories. Not sure whether to give them another try or not.

NapalmKev

I'm a fan and I've ordered the Hardcover.

Also; I'm not a Pagan and I don't believe the world is run by lizards. Cocks, maybe, but not lizards.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

robprosser

Quote from: nxylas on 28 July, 2022, 03:09:49 PM
Quote from: robprosser on 28 July, 2022, 12:24:52 PM
Probably true, but if he wasn't so angry all the time, could he have created something as great as Nemesis the Warlock or Marshal Law or Charley's War? That's a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the answer.
That's probably true. I'm a big fan but I wish he wasn't so relentless. Also be comes over a more than a bit of a hypocrite these days.

nxylas

Quote from: robprosser on 28 July, 2022, 05:45:09 PM
That's probably true. I'm a big fan but I wish he wasn't so relentless. Also be comes over a more than a bit of a hypocrite these days.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I agree with him on some things (I do think it's a shame that 2000AD seems to have gone backwards on the issue of creator ownership since the days when they published some creator-owned material like Button Man and Big Dave). But there are a lot of double standards in there (eg "my characters are not house characters, but I envisioned 2000AD as taking place within a shared universe", or "editors in the '90s were wrong to try and make 2000AD more like Deadline, whereas my attempts to make it more like Crisis were completely justified".)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 28 July, 2022, 06:38:07 PM
I do think it's a shame that 2000AD seems to have gone backwards on the issue of creator ownership since the days when they published some creator-owned material like Button Man and Big Dave

Was Big Dave creator-owned? Morrison may have claimed it was using the same argument he was using for Zenith, but I don't think it was 'officially' a creator-owned strip.

(I suspect it hasn't been reprinted because it's not looked on very fondly by a big chunk of the potential audience and so any hypothetical rewards from doing it are likely to be small and not worth the possibility of a ruck with Morrison and/or Millar.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

Barney lists it a creator-owned. I don't know what that is based on, but if I recall correctly that site used to be official.

http://2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=index

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 28 July, 2022, 07:44:33 PM
Barney lists it a creator-owned. I don't know what that is based on, but if I recall correctly that site used to be official.

Could well be, then! TBH, I can't be arsed to try and find the Summer Offensive progs and see what the copyright blurb says...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.