Main Menu

TV Adverts that make you wish for death.

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 09 March, 2022, 08:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

This is always fun- especially as people usually mention the same ones, which makes you wonder just what the hell that ad companies involved were thinking, and how they managed to get it so wrong.

I'll start...

Lenor- people in bed in a park. Explicitly the "What is it!?" and "Mine!" women. This one makes me mute the sound, if I'm quick enough.

"Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy Marc Jacobs". Again, immediately on mute.

Butternut Box dog food, with the people eating it. That one makes me actively turn over.

And all make me vow to never buy their product.

Over to yous lot.

SBT

moly

Oh good that daisy daisy daisy ad makes me want to smash the tv, even if it was the nicest smell on earth I wouldn't buy it in protest to the narffist  ad ever

Dandontdare

Quote from: moly on 09 March, 2022, 08:50:51 PM
Oh good that daisy daisy daisy ad makes me want to smash the tv, even if it was the nicest smell on earth I wouldn't buy it in protest to the narffist  ad ever

My mum's 90 and tends to repeat the same things given the same prompts - that Daisy one always winds her up something rotten every single time it comes on! That and the "I'm perfect" one.

The Legendary Shark

Since ditching the t.v. (I only watch things I download these days), my life is mercifully, wonderfully, peacefully ad-free.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Same here Shark, apart from the odd ad-read on a podcast, my life is largely ad free...

...if I didn't like sport.

How are gambling ads legal?

More generally, advertisers just don't appreciate music. Marketeers take a good song and awkwardly snip together the "good bits", because they don't understand how important arrangement and song structure is*. Either that or they commission a deliberately uncanny, discordant mess of a jingle your brain tries to make sense of, but can't, so it stays lodged in there like a aural parasite.

*This seems to be how pop music has been produced since the turn of the millenium.
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mister Pops on 10 March, 2022, 12:20:43 AM
More generally, advertisers just don't appreciate music.

Nothing bugs me more than slow, wistful acoustic versions of classic rock tracks, usually accompanying supermarket Christmas ads

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 March, 2022, 08:05:52 AM
Nothing bugs me more than slow, wistful acoustic versions of classic rock tracks, usually accompanying supermarket Christmas ads

Definitely this. Take a classic song, slow it down and get someone to sing it in a dreamy, little girl voice, divesting it of any power, meaning or good quality it previously had. It enrages me.

Like Sharky and Pops* I don't really watch TV but even I know about that Daisy one and how awful it is. I really hate toothpaste adverts where a model licks their own teeth - this just grosses me out and nobody really does it in real life.

* This sounds like a detective combo
You're a dark horse, Boots.

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 March, 2022, 10:25:38 PM

Since ditching the t.v. (I only watch things I download these days), my life is mercifully, wonderfully, peacefully ad-free.

Strangely enough, I only recently acquired a TV after being in the telly wilderness for almost three years. I'm still shocked, not just by the annoying and banal inanity of the over-whelming amount of adverts in general - which is pretty much a given - but also the sheer amount of broadcasting time that is given over to them. (I expect one day to open the TV Guide magazine and find that the programme listings have been replaced by a list of the adverts that will be screened that day.) And don't get me started on the annoying voices that accompany them. I mute the telly as soon as there is a break in whatever I am watching.

But as for the ones that I particularly hate?

Every single Christmas advert ever from the dawn of time!

The Doctor Alt 8

I LOATH the current Virgin cruises advert. Those kids should do their research... showing their parents this would stop their plans dead.

https://youtu.be/0nCT8h8gO1g?t=4

I, Cosh

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 March, 2022, 08:33:51 PM
This is always fun- especially as people usually mention the same ones, which makes you wonder just what the hell that ad companies involved were thinking, and how they managed to get it so wrong.
They're thinking: this will get people talking about our client's product.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

I watch very little that has ads, if I do they are muted, I know nothing of this Daisy you speak of for instance.
DDT did a job on me

wedgeski

We ditched Sky last year but ironically switching to catch-up services means we're exposed to way more adverts than we were on regular telly, where we time-shifted everything and could FF through the advert breaks.

Bad Andy

Quote from: Mister Pops on 10 March, 2022, 12:20:43 AM
Same here Shark, apart from the odd ad-read on a podcast, my life is largely ad free...

...if I didn't like sport.

How are gambling ads legal?

To look at this from the other side... why would they be illegal?

Proudhuff

The damage they do perhaps?  obvs the ads work or they wouldn't be doing so many, and gambling especially online, is a horrible addiction: whole lives, families and communities destroyed.
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

If it weren't for advertising, politics, and law, there'd be nothing for contemporary sophists to do.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]