Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huey2

Perhaps we need a thread called " This is NOT the news!"

The Johnson story which broke in Private Eye this week is not being covered anywhere by any of the mainstream media this week.
That something like this - grossly inappropriate behaviour in office + attempted corruption is not out there on every front page is... a staggering level of censorship and quite frightening.

GordonR

It's also entirely unsubstantiated - When did this happen?  Who was the unnamed MP who witnessed it? What's the source of this story? - hence why it's so far one scurrilous paragraph in a Private Eye story, rather than national news.

Not running an unproven story that's completely libellous if untrue isn't censorship.

Tjm86

To be fair it has been widely covered albeit not quite the same way Private Eye has.  The Times and Mail managed to get themselves plastered all over the news for running part of the story about Johnson and Symonds at the FCO.  Then they both withdrew the story from later editions / web editions.  The result was that far wider coverage was given to the story.

Of course the latest rumour around Johnson is that he has allegedly impregnated his hairdresser.  Needless to say this is totally unsubstantiated and significantly lacking in credibility (Johnson .... hairdresser ...) but does turn up if you do a Google search.

8-/

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tjm86 on 02 July, 2022, 11:18:58 AM

Of course the latest rumour around Johnson is that he has allegedly impregnated his hairdresser. 

I find it very hard to believe that Boris Johnson has a hairdresser.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Huey2

As Tjm says, at least part of that story did appear in newspapers last weekend but the story was swiftly pulled from the digital editions.

Even leaving aside the inappropriate angle, the facts that:
* Johnson tried to get his mistress a well-paid job she was completely unqualified for - not the first time he's done this, the only difference being this time he was blocked.
and
* the newspapers didn't just stop the story but actually erased it from digital editions

Both of these being, to my mind, very serious and worthy of follow-up.

As to the veracity of Private Eye. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine the magazine risking a lawsuit on mere gossip. I'd also say that as for their journalism goes, they have a history of covering important stories which nobody else has touched - the Post Office scandal being one.

GordonR

QuoteAs to the veracity of Private Eye. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine the magazine risking a lawsuit on mere gossip.

The briefest familiarity with the history of PI very much says otherwise.

JayzusB.Christ

In yet more tragic US Supreme Court news, they've now seriously curtailed Biden's efforts to reduce carbon emissions.  Fucking pig-ignorant neanderthals.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 July, 2022, 12:01:36 PM

Of course the latest rumour around Johnson is that he has allegedly impregnated his hairdresser. 

That seems to be the general consensus in the Twittersphere.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tjm86 on 02 July, 2022, 04:24:22 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 July, 2022, 12:01:36 PM

That seems to be the general consensus in the Twittersphere.

Given his track record of hiring and surrounding himself with completely inept sycophants, his hair "style" is completely consistent with the quality of skills and diligence he values.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

C'blimey - Sunak and Javid have quit the cabinet! That's some big names.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 05 July, 2022, 06:54:28 PM
C'blimey - Sunak and Javid have quit the cabinet! That's some big names.

Just clocked that a minute ago.  I would say a GE is on the cards, but Johnson seems to have an infinite supply of last straws.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

There won't be an election because the Tories know they would lose. They'll just hang on and hope that the next PM can turn it around.

Tjm86

Hobson's choice:

- the Tories limp on under Johnson, digging themselves further into the mire and teaching two generations what it is like to live under their governance thus guaranteeing their future eradication but at the cost of the potential damage wrought in the process:

- Johnson and his minions are ejected from the party, sparing the nation the damage they might cause but at the cost of giving some degree of credibility to a party that is justifiably named ("Toraidhe" - plunderer / thief (thanks to our Emerald cousins)).

Personally I'd rather the first choice.  This is the third Tory government I've lived through (not counting New Labour) and by far the worst.  The thought of the next generation of Tories taking lessons from this crowd fills me with utter dread.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

an election may well be the only possible way that de pfeffel can survive. and that - his own survival - is clearly more important to him than his party, his colleagues, the country, anything or anyone else. so don't discount it.
"f*** business," he once said.
"you don't care for anything," his own wife told him in 2020.
and there are, remarkably, countless other examples.

yegods. pm truss?