Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Full Tilt Boogie vs. DreadNoughts Rd 3 Heat 58

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 June, 2022, 06:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So here we are final week of Round 3 and quality here will set us up well for what's to come. There are some stunning ties here and a proper local derby to really add some flavour - I was so chuffed when this one was drawn as it's a right good tie (you'll only have to wait until Tuesday...). Round 4 will be coming soon (Monday next week I imagine!) and it's going to start to get super tough... or tougher at least!

Two new favourites in play here, both with only one full series, both with at least one more on the way. So I guess we have an easy metric to help you decide this one. Which of the two are you looking forward to returning the most? Full Tilt Boogie, which struggled to see off Vector 13, is the sort of thrill the prog needs to shake things up and pull the prog into a new age and a new audience. DreadNoughts, who took out the mighty Paul Grist's Demon Nic could therefore be said to be backward looking, reflecting on past glories, but is far from it feeling absolutely relevant and as current as FTB in the context of the time it's being created. Which one are you happiest to see back?

Full Tilt Boogie - more info

Vs

DreadNoughts - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 30th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

DreadNoughts is my choice but I still like Full Tilt Boogie (one of the best strips out of the regen prog)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Plenty of imagination in Full Tilt Boogie but something like Dreadnoughts is a story I always wanted to see, and it didn't disappoint. So that wins it for me.

Magnetica

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Aaron A Aardvark

Full Tilt not for me although it's obviously very well done.

Dreadnaughts

rogue69

AlexF

Full Tilt Boogie. Certainly based on answering the question 'what am I more excited to see more of'. I do like DreadNoughts too but I find it harder work to read. And not just because of Carroll's dense style! I admire what he's doing to flesh out the pre-history of Judge Dredd but I'm not so much into harsh stories of police brutality and US politics where two different types of right-wing nut jobs are duking it out...

Much more at ease with FTB's more basic set up of obviously good working class / left-leaning heroes taking on evil entitled elites!

Barrington Boots

After careful consideration Full Tilt Boogie gets my vote too.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Southstreeter

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Dreadnoughts. One of the beat things Tharg has done in years. Full-Tilt Boogie is okay, but a lot rides on the second series.

SBT

Funt Solo

I like Full Tilt Boogie well enough - in the same vein as quite a lot of these go anywhere in the galaxy and do anything stories. It's an odd blend of frothy and dark, and I'd like to see more.

Dreadnoughts, though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++