Main Menu

Monster Fun - Halloween Spooktacular 2022

Started by Robin Low, 23 October, 2022, 12:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

So, I've been keeping up buying the hardcopy of this for The Leopard from Lime Street, even though I expect it will all be collected at some point.

I was saddened to see a change in artist on the strip. This comes with the usual caveat that no disrespect is intended to Nick Roche's ability. It's rather that I feel Laurent Lefeuvre's has a stronger continuity with the original and I preferred its atmosphere.

Regardless, I'm glad to see this comic continuing. Would I buy it as a weekly? Probably not, as there's not enough to interest me, but every few months I'm happy to support it. Kid Kong and Frankie Stein work best for me, both in terms of art and writing.

Regards,

Robin

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yep, snap. I've been buying the comic entirely for Leopard as well. And I've lost count of the times I've asked different members of my local whs team why it's stocked where it is. Originally, they shelved it on the top row- beyond even my grasping fingers- *behind* Viz. I got it moved, but only down to eye height and next to the prog. My mission to get it placed at the other end of the shop with the Beano etc continues.

I confess to buying it for Leopard alone, and giving the rest only a cursory read- but from what I see, it looks like good value for money.

SBT

broodblik

I am also on the same page I get it purely for the Leopard strip. I also prefer Lefeuvre's art.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I find it baffling how WHSmith faces comics. Beano sits with children's plastic tat bags, quite grown-up fare like National Geographic for kids, and Lego. Meanwhile, quite some distance away in our local, you get Marvel, 2000 AD and Monster Fun. (No Phoenix, sadly.) Monster Fun is very much in the wrong place.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 October, 2022, 03:04:55 PM
I find it baffling how WHSmith faces comics.

As I'm sure you know, you have to pay WHS an absolute fortune if you want to get them to display your title anywhere other the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I get that, but putting a children's comic with the other children's comics wouldn't be a stretch. (I suspect there's some kind of legacy tagging going on, but still.)

The Corinthian

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 October, 2022, 07:19:31 PM
As I'm sure you know, you have to pay WHS an absolute fortune if you want to get them to display your title anywhere other the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'

Kids will assume the leopard is radioactive and open the filing cabinet in the hope of gaining superpowers.