Main Menu

What is your favourite non-comic fiction?

Started by Fifty, 26 January, 2002, 09:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifty

My fave authors are
Kazuo Ishiguro (Remains of the Day) and
Haruki Murakami (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle)

My favourite science fiction is
Stpehen King's "The Dark Tower" Series,
David Wingrove's "Chung Kuo" Series (This is AWESOME!)
Robin Hobb's "Liveship Traders" and, of course,
Lord of the Rings.

I guess I like epic stories.  I especially love the way that the Dark Tower also drags in so many of King's other books.

What about the rest of you?

kraken

Erm..
James Herbert stuff.
Anything about da Mafia.
WiseGuys, mobster, dat sort of ting.
And...ahem...serial Kilers.

Sorry.

kraken

And stuff about the devil and that.

Again, sorry.

GordonR

Brother Ron

Joe R Lansdale's warped fiction is a must-read IMO. I recommend The Bottoms, a tale about a young boy tracking a psychopathic rapist in a small Texas town during the Depression, Mucho Mojo, a story about two friends who find a child's body beneath the floorboards of a house they are renovating, and The Big Blow, a fantastic novel about a brutal ringer who is sent in to kill an unpopular black boxer down in East Texas. Both Much Mojo and The Big Blow have been optioned (the latter by David Lynch) and Don 'Phantasm' Coscarelli is currently filming a project based on a Lansdale story called Bubba Ho-Tep. This one stars Bruce Campbell as a geriatric Elvis who goes up against a soul-sucking mummy and looks totally insane.

Other favourites include F. Paul Wilson (The Keep, The Tomb) and Kim Newman (Anno Dracula, The Bloody Red Baron).

almighty mat

If you think Lansdale rocks, check out Carl Hiaasen.
  peace

The Duck

My favourite fiction of all time has to be Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

Link: http://www.d-realm.com-ss.net" target="_blank">My Site!

Evileye

does no-one here like proper science fiction writing? i'm amazed that no-one has mentioned william gibson, jeff noon, iain m. banks, arthur c. clarke or isaac asimov... science fiction for the more discerning reader. oh and then there's harry harrison... the stainless steel rat is a classic.

paulvonscott

I'm a big Philip K Dick fan, anyone for

'A Scanner Darkly'?

Great stuff.