Main Menu

There was nothing wrong withShakara this week! It was HENCH

Started by death monkey 23, 27 January, 2002, 12:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

death monkey 23

It was a wicked episode because it left you wondering why he killed the hairy blokes.

The first episode was much rubbisher than this weeks, cos how could the human bloke speak their language?
Eh??

Stupid, isn't it.

McNulty

Maybe he had a Universal Translator.

McNulty going where no man has gone before

paulvonscott

Regardless of whether this episodes was better or worse than any other...

Both the problems are classic science fiction ones.  Another one I guess being faster than light travel.

How to make aliens (often cheaply) that people can identify with and still look alien.  The Star Trek answer was to stick playdoh on their faces.  But anything humanoid with two eyes, two ears, a mouth, whatever it looks like is really just a human drawn differently.  Have a look at some Lovecraft for some genuine aliens.

Then of course you have the problem of communication, you can either build the universal translator or just forget about it.

Basic problems of science fiction that just continue whatever the medium.  You either come up with a rationalisation to explain it, or you just forget it and have some fun.

I have to be honest I havn't really thought that much about the aliens in Shakara or how any of his equipment works.  Looks good though.

fraston

did you see the lovecraftian things in the necronauts?

paulvonscott

I wish I had.  I very much regret missing necronauts, I only read the first issue and it did look fantastic.  However I was definitely trying not to get back into 2000AD at that point, only buying it when it had my old favourites in.  The way it went I only caught the first one.

I should of given it a chance, exspecially as I'm a big Lovecraft fan.  Perhaps it might get release as a graphic novel some time.

It's basically the fact that I'm very stubborn and have got sick of seeing bad SF, especially in films and tv shows that I often don't give things a chance, often before they've begun.  I didn't even give Necronauts a chance.

I just get frustrated.  Dark Angel was a series that could have been good, it was basically a modern day version of Rogue Trooper.  But as soon as we had the 'crippled genius watcher' character introduced and a few other cliches I just closed my eyes, groaned and turned off.  Smallville was another show with great promise, but they basically did five shows with the same plot, and again, I'm off.

When I eventually get around to stuff I'm often pleasantly surprised.  It was a comic strip about Lovecraft in 2000AD, why the hell didn't I buy it and read it?  Oh well, more fool me.

Were the lovecraftian horrors pretty chilling?  Frasier looks like he can do scary very well.

Thread Zero

I think Necronauts is Rennie's best work in 2k to date.

I reckon it will be a graphic novel one day and hopefully Tharg will give it a second series.

Go on Thargy, please us peasants!

scojo

GordonR

>I reckon it will be a graphic novel one day and hopefully Tharg will give it a second series.

I surely can't be the only one that thought Necronauts was pretty obviously a one-off series?  The ending seemed fairly conclusive - what would be the point or need for a sequel?

Thread Zero

The point my dear Milo of The Phantom Tollbooth fame, is Mr Rennie needs the money.

His addiction to illegal narcotics*,  as witnessed in his purple prose of Storming Heaven, cost money you know..

And Rennie tablets just don't do it for him.

scojo * allegedly

fraston

"scojo * allegedly"

hey isn't that ?copyright ?PVS?

paulvonscott

I don't know what you are talking about, I don't know what Scojo is talking about, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think I'm having an epsiode.

I'd better go watch another vampire film.

PVS