Main Menu

Meg 465: Night Terrors

Started by IndigoPrime, 13 February, 2024, 11:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Right, then. Devlin's back. Which is good, because it – for me, as a fan – gives the Meg a boost. But I will say that this Meg was – perhaps inevitably – a quite tough read, given that there are two extensive tribute features. I mean, I'm glad to see them. They need to be there. But they are sobering reminders nonetheless.

Dredd kicks things off with part 2 of Ravenous, which is a slightly by-the-numbers action film Dredd, elevated by new ideas for the enemy. I think it works well in this particular line-up. Then we see a pic from Deadworld that fills me with a little dread. Are the Dark Judges heading into silly territory again?

Anyway, a six-page Gibson tribute is next, followed by DeMarco. Early days for this iteration of the character and for me it's not quite firing on all cylinders. But the way she's presented, and the pacing of the strip works very well. I'm not sure what everyone's plans are, but it feels like this could be a slow-burn strip that could benefit from an extended stay.

Next up, Mega-City 2099, with Niemand returning. And, well, I don't know. It's... fine? But the more of these I read, the more I think this concept worked as an amusing one-off rather than as a regular. I do like the idea of a series set in Dredd's past, but this isn't doing it for me. (And I'm fully aware it's a kind of alt-universe take – although I wonder whether all readers will be.)

The Burns tribute follows – another six pages, and a lib wobble with pic of a winking Dante. Then more text: the piece on Mark Eyles (Wireheads) proves way more interesting than I thought it would be, and a single-pager on Tony Allen gives us our third obituary in a single issue.

Reprint! I don't recall reading much Hugo Pratt before, but I rather enjoyed this snippet of Crimson Sea, even if it's another very much not in standalone territory. Hookjaw has already lost me. Under Siege had an untick, and very Mega-City writing in terms of the citizens and Kidney Hut. Aside from some slightly unclear era hopping, the main issue I have here is Dredd himself doesn't feel like Dredd – a common issue with US writers.

I imagine Devlin Waugh under Kot will continue to be divisive, as it now goes fiull-on into the queer angle of the strip that for a while was mere subtext. Here, it very much is not, albeit being used as a framing device of sorts to get Devlin out of his funk and back investigating. The moment with Tittivilus and the jacket was inspired. One of the most stupid panels in Meg history, and a proper guffaw moment for me.

And we end on Harrower Squad. As I said last week, this feels a bit alt-world as well, although to be fair Dredd has battled all kinds of weirdness over the years. So perhaps this era's Scotland is packed full of terrifying mutants. It's pretty good though. It also means that, bar 2099, for me this month all of the original strip beats the reprint, which is good.

Devlin Waugh > Dredd > DeMarco > Harrower Squad > Crimson Sea > Under Siege > Mega-City 2099 > Hookjaw

Colin YNWA

That image of Devlin (from the cover?) is absolutely top draw. Captures so much of the character in a single image. Slightly lascivious, a quiet sad desperation and a twinkle and hint of a cheeky grin. Its wonderful.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, that's the cover reveal. I couldn't (during an admittedly quite quick search) find the full cover.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

I had a good chuckle at mega city 2099 course i despise the two characters involved so maybe thats why?  :lol:

Max Headroom

I didn't think Meg 465 was out till next week (third Wednesday of the month)? Could not find a copy round my parts.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, 21/2, according to the 2000 AD social feeds. (I have a subscription.)

The Monarch

weird do us subbies always get it a week early or is this just a weird case

Le Fink

I got mine last Saturday too

(Subscriber)

scrotnig

Richard

Subscribers usually get them a few days early. This is earlier than normal though. It's dated 19 March, and four weeks earlier would be next week.

Jim_Campbell

Just a quick heads-up for digital Meg subscribers who downloaded the current issue this morning — the last four pages of MC-2099 are supposed to have lettering. If it's missing on your copy (either PDF or CBZ) then download it again — it should now be fixed.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 February, 2024, 02:09:10 PMJust a quick heads-up for digital Meg subscribers who downloaded the current issue this morning — the last four pages of MC-2099 are supposed to have lettering. If it's missing on your copy (either PDF or CBZ) then download it again — it should now be fixed.

And here I was thinking it was a silent movie. Thanks I will redownload and hopefully get my words
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JudgeJudi

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 February, 2024, 02:09:10 PMJust a quick heads-up for digital Meg subscribers who downloaded the current issue this morning — the last four pages of MC-2099 are supposed to have lettering. If it's missing on your copy (either PDF or CBZ) then download it again — it should now be fixed.
Ah - I did find it a bit baffling!

JayzusB.Christ

Poppers! I'd forgotten they existed.  They used to be legal here in Ireland but I'm not sure if they still are.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"