Main Menu

Requiem: Vampire Knight by Mills & Ledroit

Started by Ignatzmonster, 16 May, 2007, 12:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatzmonster

I kind of liked it, so if you were jonesing for yet another rip on Mills thread, piss off. But I picked up Book 5 and there was a great deal I didn't get because I don't know the backstory. I mean, I can enjoy a dragon raping a bi-plane for itself, but: What's with the transition from the mortal world to Hell? Was that a flashback? What started the war in Hell and who are the main players? Why all the vampires? Why does the lead male have three (two?) different personalities.

If any one could give me a quick synopsis I'd appreciate it.

VampiraJen

so if you were jonesing for yet another rip on Mills thread, piss off

i'll just get my coat then.......

no, i would only do that if he wrote some shit.  to be honest i've never read any of his non-tooth stuff.  Would you recommend anything?

Mangamax

I had the first graphic novel for a long time.
Art was lovely but, apart from Vampire pirates, i don't remember a bloody thing about the plot
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

paulvonscott

It's absolutely bloody mental.  

I'd need to be able to read the thing again to give you a decent answer, but essentially Hell is an inversion of the living world, so people grow younger etc.

There are flashbacks to show what people did in the mortal world, how they made their enemies and became what they are.

People come back as Ghouls, Vampires, Lamia etc. according to the sins they committed on earth.  And I think the goals of these creatures are all fairly different.  Vampires must feed off others, so they are the ruling power and the others have rebelled and started a war.

The main chraacter was someone else in a previous incarnation.  That previous incarnation, Thule (I think) is trying to take over to some degree.  The current incarnation is somewhat inexperienced but is quickly gaining powers.

These are vague answers I know, but if I reread the books (they do come out a year apart so I think I can be forgiven) then I'll try and give you a better answer.

fatalfish

Its the New Nemesis about a whole bunch of people living in hell where you start from the moment of your mortal death and grow steaily younger as time progresses backwards. I like it.

Marbles

Its beautiful art, but the story itself is complete tosh - but not in a bad way. I'd recommend disengaging all cognative functions before sitting back to thoroughly enjoy the ride.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Ignatzmonster

'I'd recommend disengaging all cognative functions before sitting back to thoroughly enjoy the ride.'

Your suspension of disbelief or affinity with the preposterous does seem to seal the deal.

So if the ruling party is made up of vampires, why are the pirates vampires as well?

And what is Gloria's story? Who's Rebecca?

fatalfish

Mills really is just having fun here I think and it is nice to see.

The Pirates are gouls - those that were evil but called themselvegood - like nuns that beat up schoolgirls. They hide evil behind good intention.

The Vampires are the outright evil ones. They think evil is normal and are put off by acts of good. The truly opposite of the Norm ruling a land that is the opposite of the living world - where you are born when you die and get younger the longer you stay there.

It reminds me of 2000 ad when I first started reading it as a boy.

skurvy

I've just been looking at this site...

http://www.trollmaane.net/requiem/

...it does look mental. Where can I get a copy then?

Marbles

Can't remember which particular issues of Heavy Metal they are in, but the website below lists all the details of stories run in HM.

Look out for the spin-off "Claudia" stories as well.

Link: http://www.heavymetalmagazinefanpage.com/hmlist.html" target="_blank">Heavy Metal listings

Remember - dry hair is for squids

ThryllSeekyr

That does sound interesting.

I wonder if it will be collected as a graphic novel or a series of grahic novels.

ThryllSeekyr

That does sound interesting.

I wonder if it will be collected as a graphic novel or a series of graphic novels.

Mangamax

They are - in France anyway.
Lovely hardbacked large editions with beautiful glossy pages.
And available from the Graphic Novel section in most supermarkets.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

ThryllSeekyr

I would be merely interested in reading the story minus the artwork as a proper novel.

I was wondering if, considering everybody grows younger there anybody can come and go asthey please. Effectivey staying the same age.

ThryllSeekyr

I think I know how it works, the head vampire has the freedom to come and go as he feels to maintain a state of neither growing younger or older. Perhaps this vampire often flys into the realm of living as may he the only place he can drink his fill of blood.