Main Menu

Strip Magazine # 1

Started by Spaceghost, 01 November, 2011, 02:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

Aha, I see subscriptions have now become available!

I think I may just cancel the FP order and go with ahead with this, as it's clearly beyond the abilities of a large retail chain to be able to post one sodding magazine.

starscape

It's what I've had to do.  Neither FP or the leading indie shop Page 45 (indie as in American indie - never see any Accent UK, Engine Comics, Futurequake, O-Men etc or even my own in there) seems able to get it in for sufficient quantities to be available for more than a day.  Plenty of Power Man & Iron Fist or Hawk and Dove though.

It really is about time UK comic shops started promoting UK comics. I sold my comics through Diamond and they would always sell out and get a re-order, which would then sell out again.  There's obviously the market then for something that bit different but when you're hidden behind multiple copies of Frankenstein, Agent of Shade and the shelf size isn't even big enough for 2000AD, you know something's wrong.  I mean, not even the Dandy is available British comic shops.  I know about direct market via S-O-R but with a different lean to comic shops, I'm sure they'd sell more, plus bring in a different audience. 

I've had to give up on Marvel now.  It's all way too complex with the stories painstakingly slow.  Brubaker is a terrific writer (unlike Bendis).  Give him one Captain America comic where he has control over the character, without 'world events' and watch him go.  I don't even know which of the many Captain Americas is even the main comic now.

Oh, em, yes.  Strip comic.  Looking forward to it.

Goosegash

QuoteThanks for subscribing to STRIP Magazine, Britain's new comic anthology.

Your subscription will start from Issue 2.

Hooray! but also: FUCKSTICKS! I'm never gonna see Issue 1, am I.

pauljholden

Norn Iron peeps: I'll be signing on FPI on the 3rd of December between 1 and 3. I am assured by Strip that FPI will have copies (sent directly) so you can pick on up there, and get it signed...

-pj

Dandontdare

Quote from: Goosegash on 21 November, 2011, 11:09:20 AM

Mine arrived from FP eventually, so be patient. I've only skimmed it so far with all my post-Thought Bubble comics to read, but it's looking good.

Trout

Quote from: Goosegash on 21 November, 2011, 11:09:20 AM

Me too. Getting a bit annoyed now.

Trout

I spoke too soon. Sorted with one quick email!

I think I may be grumpy today. I had a crappy sleep last night.

HOOKJAW WILL HELP ME!

James Stacey

Banners

Just picked up a copy from FP in Wolverhampton where they had two copies. Looks good - can't wait to read it later.

johnfreeman

Thanks to everyone who's subscribing and supporting to STRIP Magazine, Britain's new comic anthology. We're sorry to hear some of you are finding it difficult to get a copy.

Because of a slight wrinkle in PayPal's systems, we're not currently seeing any notes subscribers send stating which issue they want to start from. There's prtobably a field we can add to solve this issue and the tech folks will find it if there is one, I'm sure.

What we're doing is acknowledging that subscriptions will start from Issue 2 (but we do have stock of #1 and if people let us know we can change the sub accordingly.

The iPad edition is of course still available via on iTunes for iPad | itunes link ht.ly/7micv.

Along with the steampunk comic strip adventure from Stephen Walsh and Keith Page, The Iron Moon | t.co/h9CMjeT2

Web: www.printmediaproductions.com
Blog: http://stripcomicmagazineuk.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Strip-Magazine-UK/107449926009722
Twitter: www.twittter.com/StripMagazineUK

Cheers

dweezil2

Greatly enjoyed issue 1 and it was proof enough that I needed a subscription!

Can't wait for issue 2!

Any idea when it's due for release?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Banners

Enjoying it so far. Can't fault the heart and love on display, and it feels very nice - but it needs a bit more quality control.

For instance, in the very first strip "Black Ops", there's a typo as we switch from 3rd October 2011 to 25th December 2010. I thought it was a flashback at first, but Nero's lack of legs mean that's not the case.

It's the little things eg. some strips don't have "Next Issue..." at the end, and those that do have different formats.  Also, the fonts in the lettering are all different sizes, especially "Ex-Agent" where the words are bloody huge. The centre-spread has come loose after one day.

That sounds unduly negative and I don't mean it to be. I have to say it's a bloody impressive package for the price - especially compared to the execrable Clint - and I shall certainly be enjoying the ride for the next few issues.

staticgirl

Am I the first lady-girl to comment?

Anyway I liked it a lot. I loved the stories and it was nice to see so many female characters as it meant I didn't feel excluded. A fantastic job has been done on Hook-Jaw which I didn't read when it was first out as I was mainlining Bunty at the time. For some reason I am more into man-eating sharks as I age - maybe I get more cranky and as my rage increases I imagine the shark chomping on my enemies or something. Er... anyway.

All the strips were great. I think my fave was Black Ops because of the insane amounts of action but they were all good. The fonts were too big in Ex-Agent but the story and art were cool.

Also props to John Ridgeway - I love his sensitive line art.

I also thought the features were aimed at a totally different age group. It put me off sending it to my cousin's kids a bit but I think I will send it to them anyway. Josh would have LOVED an article about sharks as he wants to be a scientist when he grows up and he loves sharks and whales. Tiny Zack just loves violence so he would prefer the strips to his brother I think, even if he can't read them yet. I am sure their dad won't mind reading it out to him. I'm holding on for a copy of the Phoenix comic I've got on order before sending a pack to them..

But yeah, waaaaay better than Clint's first issue.