Started by Colin YNWA, 07 May, 2013, 02:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Yeah that was a nice moment in the story. I also love this moment here;

:lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Judge Brian

Our library here in Portland Maine has tons of comics, maybe more than 1000 trades & hardcovers. They even have a selection of beat up Titan Judge Dredd collections.

Mabs

I picked these up earlier from my local library. I'm especially looking forward to reading Mr and Mrs Talbot's book.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Now then Mabs that's a very interesting selection. Can I ask where they all grouped together in one section and if show what it was labelled and what other areas it was 'associated' with?

Mabs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 June, 2013, 07:55:09 PM
Now then Mabs that's a very interesting selection. Can I ask where they all grouped together in one section and if show what it was labelled and what other areas it was 'associated' with?

They were all grouped together in the graphic novel section, Colin. The other books associated with that certain area were mainly sci-fi novels; Phillip K. Dick, Ian Banks and so forth. Having said that I wish the graphic novel section in my library was BIGGER! Around 60/70% of the stuff is Marvel and DC superhero related which don't really interest me save for a few titles such as the one above. I saw Charley's War which i'll pick hopefully next time round (the hardcover is bloody massive!).

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Okay that's interesting. The reason I asked is that the library will almost certainly have Ian Rankin books in the regular fiction section I'm guessing and its this type of book that can some times highlight to librarians, who for very legitimate reasons don't have specific knowledge that there are subtler decisions to be made with graphic fiction than just slapping it next to the teen fiction (or in it). Especially when you have something like 'Dotter' with it.

Still good to see the quality is good were you borrow ya books.

Mabs

Thanks! They do tend to get new stuff in every few weeks. I think because my library is one of those 'IDEA stores' springing up around London, is partly the reason why. There's a lot of money being invested into these 'stores'. I know what you mean about the muddle-ups but I haven't spotted too many misplacements to be honest (at least not in this particular library). If I did I would be a very unhappy person indeed!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Simon Beigh

My local library in Stevenage is the reason I am on this forum, subscribe to 2000 AD and rediscovered my passion for comics....

My son is into Beast Quest and we went there in search of more. I was wandering around and stumbled across the Graphic Novel (Adult) section. I saw Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane with art by Christian De Metter (I believe it is the comic of the film, rather than the other way round). Just picked it up and took it home - and read it in one sitting. I then dug around an old set of books and pulled out my Dredd case files and read them, then I bought more, and borrowed more, and so on!  :)

After Dredd, I went back to the library and borrowed Shakara The Avenger (which began my Shakara obsession) and Sinister Dexter Murder 101. That, and a few Case Files, is all the Rebellion books they have, but I am badgering them to buy more.

Over in the Graphic Novel (Teenage) section are all the Marvel, DC and Star Wars. There is another section for Manga, and another for foreign language.

Honestly, libraries are brilliant and mine even opens on a Sunday (how modern!).

Here is my reading list. Red is brilliant - short - but fab. Most of the way through Sinister Dexter, part way through Thrill-Power Overload and Dredd 10 is due back.

Mabs

Wow a great selection, Simeon -  I'm a tad envious! Especially where Shakara is concerned. My library also has some great 2000AD stuff, but I wish we had more Case Files.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Mabs on 07 June, 2013, 08:24:42 PM
Wow a great selection, Simeon -  I'm a tad envious! Especially where Shakara is concerned. My library also has some great 2000AD stuff, but I wish we had more Case Files.

Through our Hertfordshire libraries website (or asking at the desk) we can get any book sent from any library in the county to our local library. I picked up Case Files 02 this way. Took about 2 weeks, and cost zip.

We can also borrow from certain other counties in the SELMS library network. £2 per book shipped to your local library again.

I'm a big Hertfordshire library fan! They also just introduced e-magazines for free download via Zinio!

Mabs

These are my recently borrowed items from my library. There's some titles in there which i've been looking forward to reading for a while. Hellstorm being one (which I found in the childrens comic section, tut tut!). Britten & Brülightly also a title i'm looking forward to reading. The Hot Rock I did read and I must say it was superb.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 May, 2013, 09:53:48 PMI find it annoying as it suggests they consider Manga more legit than other comics. Or maybe they genuinely had more call for that stuff from the patrons. It's not as if there's *that* much more Manga than other comics.

Manga is dirt cheap compared to western comics, and there's more of it (pages-wise) per volume, so it looks like a good option to library services looking to stock their shelves with YA comic books, especially compared to the labyrinthine continuities of western comics reprinting individual arcs from years and years of eternal monthly issues.  Not taking place in a shared universe and having a defined end point for the story lends each series the veneer of self-containment (though this is not necessarily true as many titles spin off from other works or other media).  All the same, libraries share their stock and usually have a means of tracking it that lenders can check, so if there's something you want just request it - if only to help illustrate that there's demand for it.  If your library only has tosh, it's because that what its users want.

My library's comics selection is a bit over the place as the librarians seem to pay attention to their content and file them accordingly instead of just bunging them all into the one section so you have Skrulls vs Power Pack beside Hellblazer on a few shelves beside the kids' play area - for instance, they put Dredd Case Files in the sci-fi section, Walking Dead in the horror section, Strangers In Paradise in the Fabio-and/or-swooning-ladies-on-the-cover section, DC comics in the remedial learning section and so on.  The last couple of times I've gone in looking for GNs and come away with proper books instead - it's practically a ploy to raise my brow.

Simon Beigh

Great selection, Mabs, and your library has Halo Jones! That's cool. Must get round to Swamp Thing sometime too... Got a shedload of Megs to get through first  :D

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 29 July, 2013, 06:17:58 PM
DC comics in the remedial learning section...

Ouch - damning indictment for DC comics there from Prof Bear's library...

Mabs

They have three copies of Halo Jones, no lie! Although the other two were the older publications. I wish we had more Case Files though.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Bobblehead

It fills me with joy to see a thread devoted to bigging up libraries! :)

My local,the one in Burnley,is massive and has a teens section called 'The Crib' (not too keen on this name,sounds like something my mum would call my house,to sound cool). Anyway,in 'The Crib' theres a great selection of graphic novels from all sorts of publishers. Obviously DC and Marvel are well represented but theres some 2000ad stuff too,Dante,Dredd and Slaine are a few i can remember that they have.Loads of stuff from smaller publishers also,and if they dont have what I want all I need to do is ask if they can get it in from another library,only costs 60p to order!
    Ive also had them actually buy some books in that they didnt have on the system,which I thought was really cool. Saved a fortune there and read some really good stuff :D
    The only gripe i have is that even though they have a large manga section in 'The Crib' i still keep finding some in the kids room (pre-teens). Bit annoying when i order in D-Gray Man and i have to go to a room full of 3 year olds to pick it up. Not too bad lately,they seem to have moved some out of there,I did tell them that even though it was a comic it wasnt for kids and contained some violent images,so I hope that helped.
  Anyway,to get to my point which has already been mentioned by folks before- 'Use it or Lose it!' You'll regret it if your library closes. I know i will.