Main Menu

CLiNT RIP

Started by Richmond Clements, 14 August, 2013, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trout

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 August, 2013, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 August, 2013, 09:03:17 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 August, 2013, 10:57:55 PM
Given that CLiNT was --what?-- 75% reprint, it's its failure to hit a monthly schedule was baffling.

I'd like to apologise for that errant apostrophe, which was the result of autocorrect on the part of my phone and a lack of attention on mine.

Cheers

Jim

Do the decent thing old chap.

Agreed.  ;)

Dudley

Quote from: Trout on 17 August, 2013, 05:00:12 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 August, 2013, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 August, 2013, 09:03:17 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 August, 2013, 10:57:55 PM
Given that CLiNT was --what?-- 75% reprint, it's its failure to hit a monthly schedule was baffling.

I'd like to apologise for that errant apostrophe, which was the result of autocorrect on the part of my phone and a lack of attention on mine.

Cheers

Jim

Do the decent thing old chap.

Agreed.  ;)

I'll just leave this pistol on the billiards table while I pop out to discipline the butler. 

strontium_dog_90

I was a little disappointed by this news at first. But having received my final subscriber's copy in the post today and seeing that there's only one full comic strip in there - the rest being previews of the new Titan Comics range coming out and a behind the scenes look at the Kick-Ass 2 movie - I'm thinking it was maybe a mercy killing.

sheldipez

I've heard that remaining subs are being replaced with their Batman [reprint] title so some comics are coming in it's place.

Woolly

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 17 August, 2013, 09:30:58 PM
I was a little disappointed by this news at first. But having received my final subscriber's copy in the post today and seeing that there's only one full comic strip in there - the rest being previews of the new Titan Comics range coming out and a behind the scenes look at the Kick-Ass 2 movie - I'm thinking it was maybe a mercy killing.

^this^

I'll reluctantly admit I've been with CLiNT since issue 1, and though it's mostly been pretty awful (Kick-Ass, Superior, Secret Service) there have been some surprising gems in there (American Jesus, Death Sentence, Turf). This is all IMO, by the way!

This issue seems more like an apology than a swansong, which is what i find truly tragic. Damn shame.

Goosegash

Only just found out today Clint was going under, when I saw the the last one on sale in Smiths. I agree it's sad to see another newsstand comic die, but at the same time I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Just glancing through the final issue, it feels more than ever like the it never really lived up to it's original brief. Lest we forget, Clint was launched as a platform for promoting and encouraging new talent, but Millar(or possibly his publishers) wouldn't even commit to that on a token level, leaving numerous potential contributors out in the cold. What we got instead was the comics equivalent of stunt casting, with the likes of Ross, Carr, Boyle, et al brought as attention-grabbing "names", regardless of whether they had any aptitude for the format or not.

Of course, a more cynical critic might suggest that the "promoting new talent" angle was always bullshit and Clint was only ever intended to serve as a shop window for Millarworld properties, with other content being mostly incidental.

The Adventurer

My problem with Clint was that it always seemed to be reprinting material that was already available in other formats.

Also it appeared to be mostly written by Millar.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dandontdare

Excited by new anthology comic. Bought the first few. Thought it was poor. Didn't buy any more.

I don't think that's an uncommon story.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 August, 2013, 12:40:40 AM
Excited by new anthology comic. Bought the first few. Thought it was poor. Didn't buy any more.

Certainly not THIS galaxy's greatest.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

LARF

Sad yep.

But it was a crap publication, 10 years after it's time heavily influenced by the misogyny if lads mags dusted with equal ego lashings from Mark Millar and all his celebrity friends.

Colin YNWA

Its certainly mine!

LARF

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 August, 2013, 08:42:22 AM

Its certainly mine!

Ditto