Main Menu

The Final Y The Last Man

Started by Eldritch, 03 July, 2008, 01:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldritch

Always quite enjoyed it, while never being fully satisfied & the final volume (after waiting a full year since the last one) failed to deliver.
Just read it tonight...

SPOILERS maybe....

The unexpected shock ending? Hardly. Appreciated the death of romance as the final extinction but the ending is fumbled, clawing for resonance & shamelessly looking to pull the heartstrings, but too much try-hard cleverness can sink an enterprise and that's what we have here.

Just hoping 100 Bullets traces its own path.

Tweak72

I have to say I really liked this story. It was a very different and refreshing take on the "World Plague" theme as well as a different style of comic story telling. I very much liked how the women where portrayed and how you kind of got the feel of the long term effects of such a world altering event. (I liked the middle of Season 3 of BSG for the same reason you got to see how some characters where slowly ground down over time and how some hold it together and how some get newer hope. don't get me wrong I like stories that are "action, action, action" but it does get a bit lacking in substance story wise). All in all I thought it was brilliant and the ending showed how things could be both better and worse with out all the men very well.

:geek:

Tweaksy
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Proudhuff

I read the first three books in a oner, very enjoyable and nicely different  from the usual men in tights.
Anything issued in America with a definite ending is a good thing surely? Normally they flog it to dead, not like 2k (Angel gang, Judge D'eath, Sindex...)
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

It's a while since I read it but I thought it was pretty well done and as satisfying as I could of hoped for. The final scene with Ampersand was really well done and as I discussed in my blog it reminded me strongly of the last moments of Blackie the cat.

Radbacker

well I just finished the last GN on the weekend and all I can say is Wow, the final scene with Ampersand just tore my heart out much more than the 355 bussiness(though that was also very sad).  Probably one of the best finite comics I've ever read.  After spitting it when we find out the cause of it all (I was one of the many dissapointed who expected something a bit more than what we got) I felt suitably chastised when told it wasn't about the cause it was about the journey.

CU Radbacker