Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 20 November, 2020, 02:58:24 AM
Some of us feared this news other will embrace it with a joyful skip and a jump. Read this article to see where your alignment is:

https://www.brokenfrontier.com/2000-ad-regened-rebellion-2021/

I was really, really hoping this wouldn't be the case in 2021.

Tomwe

Barrington Boots

Oh my god, that Cornwell image is fanastic.

More regens - not into it, but understand the arguments in favour.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

ming

I'm completely fine with the Re-gened issues - some stellar work popping up there - and more importantly they definitely go down well with our two boys.  They both read the Prog these days but, along with the various Rebellion specials drip-fed through the year, the Re-gened issues are a nice change of pace.

And yes, Philip Bond!

Link Prime

REALLY big call to make, but I have just made the decision to cancel my 2000AD standing order with my LCS, as of Prog 2212. 
It had been building for a while, but the die is now cast.

Three key reasons:

Dredd as a character is done for me. I've lost interest entirely.

In general the stories run this year were, in my opinion, poor. Some weeks I was reading as little as 6 pages out of 30. I would genuinely rather re-read the worst of the "nadir years" ('93 - '96) than the class of 2020. 

The "Regened" all ages stuff just ain't for me. The news that they are once again devoting 8% of next years Prog's to it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I will keep an eye out for collections that interest me, but no point habitually buying something I don't enjoy anymore, even if that habit span 38 years.

Leigh S

Do  you read the Megazine LP? 

My enjoyment goes up and down ad hits some lows even in these less "choppy" times, but I always feel supporting the prog for when it can come back round to my taste has paid off since 1991...

TordelBack

Quaequam blag! Cornwell carving his position as a top-flight Dredd artist into solid granite with that image.  Coming soon to an XXL t-shirt near you.

Sorry to hear the Prog isn't agreeing with you these days Link; it happens. I broadly agree with you about Prog Dredd, but then it was never my favourite strip and I get enough out of the lighter stories to satisfy me - Meg Dredd on the other hand has just delivered 3 months of Wagner/Cornwell full-action gold.

If I was to offer a suggestion it'd be to keep your hand in with digital, it's crazily cheap, and you can pick and choose progs as the mood takes you, without commitment or fear of missing out if you happen to feel engaged again.

Richard

The Regened progs are not my favourite, but on balance I think they're a good thing, because:

1) It encourages children to read comics, and in the long run we will need new readers or the comic will die. What is the alternative? Tharg isn't ready to launch a new title yet. It's literally about the long-term survival of 2000AD.

2) Some of the stories are okay. Full Tilt Boogie led to a full series in the regular prog, which felt like it belonged there.

3) All these extra one-off stories give Tharg an opportunity to try out more new creators.

4) Although interrupting some ongoing series for a week isn't ideal, it's only for a week and they're back after 14 days. A full month isn't too long to wait between Megazines, so why quibble?

5) It's only four times a year, get over it!

broodblik

Full-Tilt Boogie coming out in a collection in May 2021:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Wish they'd change that logo...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 November, 2020, 11:09:02 AM
REALLY big call to make, but I have just made the decision to cancel my 2000AD standing order with my LCS, as of Prog 2212.
It had been building for a while, but the die is now cast.

Three key reasons:

Dredd as a character is done for me. I've lost interest entirely.

In general the stories run this year were, in my opinion, poor. Some weeks I was reading as little as 6 pages out of 30. I would genuinely rather re-read the worst of the "nadir years" ('93 - '96) than the class of 2020.

The "Regened" all ages stuff just ain't for me. The news that they are once again devoting 8% of next years Prog's to it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I will keep an eye out for collections that interest me, but no point habitually buying something I don't enjoy anymore, even if that habit span 38 years.

I do understand you - I've been struggling myself, and have lost track of some of the stories.  I'm sticking with it for the time being though.  I don't know whether it's the prog or me getting old.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Let's distract ourselves from all this nastiness with some very good news from the mighty John Wagner's Facebook feed.

QuoteJohn Wagner
I've just finished a 6 part Dredd for John Higgins - "Now That's What I Call Justice!" - though I don't know when it will run. Hope that suffices for the moment.

See isn't it nicer to think about that!

EDIT: The reference above was to a diversion primarily about a certain creator's Twitter remarks, which have now been split into a new topic.

broodblik

Prog or Meg? Does not really matter since we are going to get a Wagner Dredd